Bow Pulpit/Anchor Problems-gctid395400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Pulpit/Anchor Problems-gctid395400

Ok, so here's the deal with the bow pulpit/anchor on my 2655. Early on in the season with lower water levels and lower grade launch ramps (because of the low water level), I had no problems. But now that the lakes are up a bit, I launched one time and drug the pulpit/anchor over the rubber/metal thing that holds the nose of the boat on the trailer. It's a real pain in the *** and I have to have somebody slowly back me into the water til i can lift the front of the boat to the side, off of that holder to avoid damage. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the anchor in place up there? I'm thinking of making some brackets out of 1/8" stainless plate to hold it in place once I bring it up there, so it doesn;t move around at all or damage the pulpit. I'm really starting to hate having a bow pulpit because it makes launching a pain. I don't know if anybody has ever tried modifying the trailer to make that piece collapsable or what? I think I may try that if there are no other suggestions.

THanks, Mike.

9986mkoh wrote:
    Ok, so here's the deal with the bow pulpit/anchor on my 2655. Early on in the season with lower water levels and lower grade launch ramps (because of the low water level), I had no problems. But now that the lakes are up a bit, I launched one time and drug the pulpit/anchor over the rubber/metal thing that holds the nose of the boat on the trailer. It's a real pain in the *** and I have to have somebody slowly back me into the water til i can lift the front of the boat to the side, off of that holder to avoid damage. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the anchor in place up there? I'm thinking of making some brackets out of 1/8" stainless plate to hold it in place once I bring it up there, so it doesn;t move around at all or damage the pulpit. I'm really starting to hate having a bow pulpit because it makes launching a pain. I don't know if anybody has ever tried modifying the trailer to make that piece collapsable or what? I think I may try that if there are no other suggestions.

THanks, Mike.
    Mike,

Your launch ramp must be very steap. Is your pulpit hitting the trailer post?

Comment

I had the same problem with my pulpit hitting the top of the vertical trailer winch frame. I ended up installing another cross brace, with roller, on the trailer so the bow wouldn't dip down as it slid off the trailer. There was excessive distance between the forward end of the bunks and the front roller at the winch frame.

Comment

Is it hitting the post, or getting hung up on the winch? This spring I launched with my Delta anchor for the first time (vs the danforth) and it got hung up on the winch. 1" made all the difference.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I have that same issue with our 2651. Most of the ramps we use at local lakes are fairly steep which creates this issue. When we are at the coast, we don't have that due to the much shallower slope. The other problem is the pulpit is below the roller when loading. Tried short setting the trailer and executing the "drive-on" and chewed up the prop even though I had trimmed up a bit. The roller is as low as it can go and still be above the mooring hook. only other option is dipping the trailer to the rear truck tires are at the water line. Makes it tough in cold weather.

As for the securing or the anchor, we pull up all the way and attach a rubber bungee from the anchor eye to the cleat just aft of the pulpit.

Comment

Well here's the front of my boat. It hits on the rubber/metal post that catches the bow. And it's only when launching for me. I can get the trailer in just about the right amount where I can pull the boat up the last 3 feet with the winch without any trouble. I'm thinking my roller on the bottom may have slipped down possibly causing this problem, so I might try that before I think about modifying the post, which really wouldn't be too bad either.

and here are the plates I'm making for the sides of the pulpit to hold the anchor away from the pulpit a little bit while under way in rough conditions. You can kind of see the outline of where I'm cutting then I'll just round them off and make them look good/polish. You can probably see where they'll go on the pulpit, I just rough patched a spot that got chewed up by the posts on the sides of the anchor.

Comment

Why don't you just hike up the chain rode so the anchor lays flat? My 1999 2655 the anchor lays flat.

Comment

I know precisely the problem you are having. Been there/seen it/corrected it!

I would not sacrifice a pulpit due to a winch tower problem. I'd find a way to adjust the winch tower and V block so that the anchor does not interfere. There's got to be a way to adjust or modify this.

FYI: the Danforth style anchors don't seem to lay up and into a pulpit as nicely as some other anchors will. Perhaps try another style anchor.

If you should ever install a Windlass, you'll want that pulpit.

And yes... find a way to secure your anchor.

If that puppy were to self-deploy while up on plane, you'd sustain some pretty serious drive and propeller damage.
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yeah, I do usually hove the anchor pulled way up there ad strapped, but the one part of it still bounces around a little and was chewing up the bottom of the pulpit. I only had it laying like that in the picture for repairs.

And yeah I'm going to modify whatever I have to with the trailer for it to work. Ill see how that works out this weekend when I have some time off work. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Maybe try this; just as you hit that fulcrum point where the angle of the launch and water meet loosen your anchor winch strap and let the boat slide a little down to give you more room to clear your winch tower ( Mine will do that on steep launchs as I have rollers). The best way to correct this by your pics is to change the angle of your bow support bar to be lower than your bow eye, this will give more clearance for your pulpit and allow you to move your winch lower. Probably will require a little welding and fabrication but will be well worth it. You could also bolt a hindged two roller catch on the end of you bow support bar which will flop down even farther as the boat leaves the trailer. One roller would catch the boat above the bow eye and the other below the bow eye, you would run the winch line between the two rollers to the eye(thats exactly how mine works). This would give you plenty of clearance to lower the winch on the tower and lower the catch because of a lesser steep angle of the bow support bar coming from the tower.

Good luck!

Comment

Here is a pic;

Comment

Working...
                      X