• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just picked up a free 85 2450 command crusier-gctid395115

hi all.hope i posted this to the right place,

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698771=29142-IMG222.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698771=29143-IMG223.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698771=29144-IMG224.jpg[/img] i just picked up a free 2450 command cruser, it is a 1985. hull number bc2ai2scf485, it is a little rough but i need a project, also i just jioned this forum after reading up about this boat. everyone seems real helpful and hope i can contribute when possable. also this boat had a 225 volvo penta which i just replaced with another but it's a 260a, the 225 had a cracked block. here are some pics. more to come, please give me your input good or bad ( hopefully good) lol

I don't think you can go wrong with that price(unless you spend 7k on an outdrive and 7k on a motor). On older boats, a new motor and outdrive easily cost more than what the boat is worth if you plan to sell.

Was the trailer included too?

Comment

hi green650, free trailer would of been icing on the cake huh ? lol i am in 500 bucks on the trailer. and 250.00 for motor,

Comment

Congrats! I strongly recommend you get the hull professionally surveyed for structural integrity before you dump serious cash into restoration. (Yes, I said dump- it IS a boat, after all )

Older boats have been known to have transom and stringer rot, and you'll want to know about things like this sooner rather than later.

Comment

While you are deciding to dump cash into it or not.. make sure you have clear title to it ( no liens etc..).

Comment

Several members have this model boat, and my son has one also. I'm fairly familiar with these.

My suggestions (but not all inclusive):

Full stringer and transom core inspection (there's a reason that this boat was free).

New PDS bearings/seals (a must-do).

Complete drive re-seal (take no one's word at when this was last done).

New drive shaft bellows (again, see above).

New complete Johnson F5B-9 sea water pump..... $149 this week. (don't even think about rebuilding the existing pump)

See the BOC Vault thread titled Volvo Penta AQ series frequent Q's & A's.

Have fun with the project.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Free...you can't beat that. As others have said, get the transom and stringers checked out. Even if they do need to be replaced you can not beat free, especially if you are willing to put some work into her.
              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
              1998 3055 Ciera
              (yes, a 1998)
              Previous boat: 1993 3055
              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
              Sea Doo XP
              Sea Doo GTI SE
              Life is short. Boats are cool.
              The family that plays together stays together.
              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

There's no such thing as a free boat.

Comment

There have been some amazing transformations documented here. Have fun, document it, ask, help, enjoy.

Looks like you have 'some' good bones to work with there. These boats were a little 'tippy.' Don't overload the bridge.

Did I say have fun?
                  Tally and Vicki
                  "Wickus" Meridian 341
                  MMSI 338014939

Comment

thanks all for the responses and good info. here are a few more pics, the floor just as you step inside is a little punky, but underneath seems/feels strong, i did check if any leins on boat and it is clean . i do have some small rot in places and water stains around some of the trim. what got me is someone put regular latex paint over the lines outside, the black paint on the bottom came off on the rag. i guess good for clean up but why would you go through the trouble of not using the right paint ? , any ideas how to get it off ? i would like to make it close to original. i was thinking paint stripper but not sure what it would do to the fiberglass, also i read on here to use vinigar for the mold ? here are some more pics, and hope to do some more work if mother nature ever decides to let me see the sun again. this forum is great !!! oh yeah i know the vavle covers say 225 and are backwards, see what happens when you leave your brotherinlaw alone lol

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698929=29160-IMG225.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698929=29161-IMG226.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698929=29162-IMG227.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698929=29163-IMG228.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698929=29164-IMG229.jpg[/img]

Comment

talman wrote:
                      I don't make fun of people's project boats any more

There have been some amazing transformations documented here. Have fun, document it, ask, help, enjoy.
                      I have to agree with Tally. We have seen some great transformations here.

FWIW:

I'd loose the OMC exhaust, and bring it back to OEM.

Get that fuel line away from the heat source of the T-stat housing.

Replace that old Delco style starter motor with one of the HTGR/PMGR motors, and you won't have trouble with it later on.

You'd be surprised at some the old gray Teak Wood that will usually come back to life with the proper restoring chemicals.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The black paint on the bottom is probably an ablative paint. It's made to wear off as you got through the water and expose a fresh layer of anti fouling paint. It will come off and make a rag black when you wipe it.

Comment

Looks like a fun project to me, but then I'm a sucker for a basket case boat! Keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                          X