Installed Sting Ray xr 3 hydro...do I now need a torque tab??-gctid395059

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Sting Ray xr 3 hydro...do I now need a torque tab??-gctid395059

My 185 Sea Ray 4.3 did not have a torque tab but it seems to me that after installing this Sting Ray it now lists. Lower on the port side while cruising!??

Should I install a Torque Tab?

A Torque Tab - the "zinc" anode with a fin on it, is usually used to offset steering torque, and will not help with listing to one side. I would first check to ensure that the StingRay hydro is properly installed - i.e. square/peprpendicular to the vertical axis of the drive, and that it's not bent or mis-shapen in any way. If that checks out, then I would say you need to add trimtabs to your boat to level it off while cruising.
    Ted
    2005 288 Command Bridge
    350 Mag MPI / BRAVO III

Every Day Is Saturday

Comment

I contacted "Sea Ray" and they tell me I just need to trim higher! Well this listing is there at all trim settings and all speeds. Including out of the hole ... so what is the point of it if you just "trim higher". Seems to me his advise does not make sense. Triming higher would defeat the purpose!

Trim tabs would interfere with the tie down to trailer location on this boat so I would have to come up with an alternative point to fasten it down.

Comment

Moving tie down points is easy. Actually, easiest is to just install new ones. I did it on mine: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...382#post327382

As for trim tabs to adjust list - you'd really need "Real" trim tabs....the ones with hydraulic rams that are remotely operated. It's a helluva lot of overkill on a boat your size. I'd do what's suggested here - check the trueness of the hydrofoil install. Then try moving crap around inside the boat to straighten it out.

I have smart tabs installed on my boat, (passive, non-hydraulic trim tabs). I've tried to correct list with those. It works a BIT, but not very much. Only real option is the expensive hydraulic ones for that situation.

Comment

We were 4 men of close to equal size in the boat and the only heavy item that was to port side was the trolling battery in the back corner with the other battery. There was some listing caused by the extra battery but it has become much more notable now with the "Sting Ray" installed.

Comment

That's interesting, if the hydrofoil is level port to stbd its not the problem.

My boat always leans into the wind before and after sting ray install. I don't have trim tabs so I adjust the gear/ crew to compensate.

Comment

Problem solved. I took it off. Now I have an expensive conversation piece as the dealer nor Sting Ray will take it back. I believe the curved design makes this is a flawed product and they know it. It forces the boat to twist to port.

That could be why they have developed something new again...the "Stealth".

But I will not be buying from this company again.

Comment

ivbinconned wrote:
                My 185 Sea Ray 4.3 did not have a torque tab .............

Should I install a Torque Tab?
                These are often omitted when power assist steering is used.

The bad part is..... and apparently the manufacture doesn't give a poop :thumb....., is that while Power Assist Steering prevents us from feeling steer torque at the helm wheel, it is still there putting force against our steering components, causing premature wear. rod

Yes.... if I were you, I'd install the trim fin/torque tab, and adjust it best you can.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:

Yes.... if I were you, I'd install the trim fin/torque tab, and adjust it best you can.
                  You can't fix listing with the torque tab, it's in the wrong axis. It only really adjusts how the boat steers - its a vertical fin which acts somewhat like a tiny rudder. To correct list, you need either trim tabs which are horizontal and generate lift on one side of the boat or the other, or to move weight if that's the problem

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
                    You can't fix listing with the torque tab, it's in the wrong axis. It only really adjusts how the boat steers - its a vertical fin which acts somewhat like a tiny rudder. To correct list, you need either trim tabs which are horizontal and generate lift on one side of the boat or the other, or to move weight if that's the problem
                    Understood, but please note how I quoted the OP......... I was not addressing his listing issue!

His listing is an entirely different issue!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                    X