Temperature Gauge False Alarm-gctid394805

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature Gauge False Alarm-gctid394805

I have a very strange problem. I have two batteries with a standard Perko battery selector switch. The switch was installed two years ago and I haven't had any problems until now. Battery two is connected in the normal fashion: The negative cable goes straight to the engine, and the Positive cable goes to Post 2 of the switch. Nothing else is connected directly to battery 2.

Here is the problem: With the engine off, I turn the battery switch to position 2. The temperature gauge immediately jumps up, like the engine is running. If I turn on any accessory (blower, radio, nav lights), the temp gauge jumps up/right and the high temperature alarm starts sounding.

Everything works. If I start the engine, the alarm goes off and the temperature gauge shows the normal temperature.

With the battery switch in position 1 or Both, everything is fine. I have tried switching the batteries, and the problem still occurs, so the problem definitely seems related to the switch.

Anybody have any ideas? Has anyone seen this before?

did you check the connections on the rear of the switch? Sounds to me like a high contact resistance and these nuts can come lose. It could also be the cable to eye connection slowly rotting away.

As I think about it: it could also be the ground cable being lose or corroded.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The negative-to-ground connection is fine. I'll take the switch off the wall and see if there is a problem back there.

Comment

Working...
      X