Planning a trip to New York city-gctid394796

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning a trip to New York city-gctid394796

Hello all, I and two other boathers are planning a trip to New York this coming July, from Saint Jean Richelieu, I have a 30 SB 2008. The boat has never been in salt water. Beside seeing NY, I want to go to Sandy Hook area for a day cruise, but someone told me that I should avoid being that close to salt water.

Will I damage the boat if I go that close to salt water for only one day, anything I should be aware of?

During our stay we will be on New Jersey side.

Thanks.

Richard

Oh yes you should avoid salt water at all costs. Boats simply do not operate very well in salt water. In fact you could suffer an extreme case of electrolysis which could dissolve your out drive almost instantly.

Comment

I did a trip from Albany, NY to NYC with day trips to Sandy hook and LI sound...had no problems. Is your engine raw water cooled or closed water cooled?

Comment

Walli

I beleive it is raw water cooled

Comment

Sandy hook is my home turf come on down. I'll be there tomorrow trying for flatties
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

rocket09 wrote:
            Walli

I believe it is raw water cooled
            Go ahead and run in salt water for a few days. No problem. On your trip back thru fresh water, your cooling system will get a good flushing. You may want to wash the salt spray off the topsides with fresh water at a marina after a good run in the chuck. Good luck on your trip. Sounds like fun.

Comment

Nakalat wrote:
              Go ahead and run in salt water for a few days. No problem. On your trip back thru fresh water, your cooling system will get a good flushing. You may want to wash the salt spray off the topsides with fresh water at a marina after a good run in the chuck. Good luck on your trip. Sounds like fun.
              Exactly,you will be fine.

Comment

You have nothing to worry about with salt water for a week. Let me know what week you are coming and if you want to meet up maybe we can raft up near Sandy Hook around Horseshoe cove.

Comment

Thanks all for the answers, feel more releive.

For Spikeitaudi

We will be in New Jersey week of 19 July, will be nice to meet up!

Comment

We should be around that weekend. Email me if you want to meet up. [email protected]

I am docked at Morgan Marina in Parlin.

Comment

sounds like a great trip!

i agree with the previous posts, no need to worry about ther salt water

seems like a long trip, how long do you plan on being out from your home port?

Comment

To Frankpowers

We are leaving Saint Jean Richelieu on Sunday 15 Jul for Lake Champlain and arriving in New Jersey (Liberty Landing Marina) on Wednesday 17 Jul. We are planning stops while on the way. In NY, we are suppose to go see a Broadway show. We are leaving on Monday 23 Jul and arriving in Saint Jean Richelieu probably Saturday 28 Jul. we are all very excited about this trip.

Comment

I did the trip a few years ago from up on the Erie Canal. A nice place to stop south of Albany is the Castleton Boat Club, easy access, friendly people, good price for fuel. We also stayed at Liberty Landing Marina, very nice, not cheap........ The Next day we went out under ther Verizano Narrows bridge into the ocean. The wife got sea sick within the hour due to the swells. (she's used to river boating). Came back to NY harbor and up the East River thru Hells Gate. Great trip, lots to see. We had no problems at all, (except for the fuel cost). We figured we could have taken a cruise for a week for 2 on Royal Caribbean for the cost of the gasoline.

Comment

Great trip and fun area -

If possible timing the tides on the Hudson can be advantageous, as a river ir runs down more than up in time and currents

If you have kids (or are a kid at heart) the Liberty Science center is a reasonable walk from LLM

While at LLM you can easily access the Statue of LIberty, Ellis Island and the financial center for day trips

If transversing the Harlem river check the status of the Spyten Dyvil ahead as it has recently had periods of non opening

Other great stops along the Hudson include Kingston, Haverstraw for their local attractions.

If you should ever venture further out on LI please look us uip.

Have a great ttrip, Hope this helps
                            Northport NY

Comment

NWCruiser wrote:
                              Oh yes you should avoid salt water at all costs. Boats simply do not operate very well in salt water. In fact you could suffer an extreme case of electrolysis which could dissolve your out drive almost instantly.
                              You guys missed a prime opportunity to have some clean harmless fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X