Sea Anchor Sizing-gctid394643

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Anchor Sizing-gctid394643

I am seeking recommendations regarding sizing a sea anchor for my 24' Trophy for worst case conditions of 20 - 25 knot winds with 3 - 5 foot swells.

Would like to have one that is small and light weight for stowing.

I would only need it for keeping the bow into the slop in the event of a power loss.
    " WET EVER "
    1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
    mmsi 338108404
    mmsi 338124956
    "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

We use the Fortress FX-11 on our 2651 and it held fast last weekend in 12~18 winds and 3~5' seas over night. We were at about 7:1 with the first 30' in chain. That was our first time to overnight in less than good conditions.

Hope that helps

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but I am inquiring about this :

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698591=29127-sea_anchor_burke.jpg[/img]Not this:

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698591=29128-danforth.jpg[/img]
      " WET EVER "
      mmsi 338108404
      mmsi 338124956

Comment

Bueller.......Bueller........anyone ???

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698706=29133-images.jpg[/img]
        " WET EVER "
        mmsi 338108404
        mmsi 338124956

Comment

Try to use ~ 80". You can go smaller, but if your primary concern is stability, larger is better.

Comment

Ags8th wrote:
            Try to use ~ 80". You can go smaller, but if your primary concern is stability, larger is better.
            I think this is sound advice too. I looked into sea anchors with a last boat (no kicker) and found them to be pretty spendy for anything bigger than 48". I also tend to stay at the dock when winds get up around 30 knots, but do get caught out there once in a while. Not a bad idea as the tow boat could be hours away.

Comment

I think this is sound advice too. I looked into sea anchors with a last boat (no kicker) and found them to be pretty spendy for anything bigger than 48". I also tend to stay at the dock when winds get up around 30 knots, but do get caught out there once in a while. Not a bad idea as the tow boat could be hours away.
              I do have a kicker although it probably would not help much in similar conditions to what I was in last trip.

My main objective is to be able to keep the bow into the on coming swell / wind, I'm not as concerned with slowing the rate of drift.

Just don't want to be broad side or stern into to swell.
              " WET EVER "
              mmsi 338108404
              mmsi 338124956

Comment

Consider that you may not need a sea anchor at all, unless your boating area contains extremely deep water where a standard anchor is beyond the range of a reasonable rode or you often boat well offshore. Your best bet for an emergency hold in most waters may well be a good anchor for your local bottom conditions with at least a partial chain rode.

Safe and Happy Boating!

ColonyCove

Comment

unless your boating area contains extremely deep water where a standard anchor is beyond the range of a reasonable rode or you often boat well offshore.
                  Yes and yes.

The bottom is between 1000 and 2000 feet in the area I would (hopefully not) be needed a sea anchor.
                  " WET EVER "
                  mmsi 338108404
                  mmsi 338124956

Comment

Working...
                  X