BC Boating - prawn traps...-gctid394517

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC Boating - prawn traps...-gctid394517

Pulled my 36" commercial prawn traps outta the shed after storing them for a few years, and it seems something must really like gnawing on tarred nylon as there wasn't a lot left on 'em. I could re-do the mesh - but storage on the new boat is an issue and these traps were big, so they went away.

Now it's time to pick up a new one (or two). Just curious what everyone's favourite collapsible trap it these days??

I have ones like these. I got them from capital iron in victoriahttp://www.jollygoodtrap.com/index.htm

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698177=29076-3.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/698177=29077-5.jpg[/img]

Comment

Sea King 32" collapsable; $49.95 @ Nanaimo Chandler. Should be somebody on the mainland that carries them as well. Big trap easy to clean out, worked just as good as the Ladners I was using last year and fold down to 1 1/2"

Comment

Nikko wrote:
        Pulled my 36" commercial prawn traps outta the shed after storing them for a few years, and it seems something must really like gnawing on tarred nylon as there wasn't a lot left on 'em. I could re-do the mesh - but storage on the new boat is an issue and these traps were big, so they went away.

Now it's time to pick up a new one (or two). Just curious what everyone's favourite collapsible trap it these days??
        i dont care for folding ones , like 32" stackable moved to main land looking for prawning locations near creasent beach every ones tight lipped

i have looked at charts have couple places in mind

Comment

I buy mine from Steve at Alaska shrimp pots . Com
          Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Im going to give shrimpin a try this year. I have been crabbing and have 6 crabpot set-ups.

How is the shrimpin set-up different? (other than the pot)

Comment

To catch shrimp you need to drag a net across the bottom. Unless you want to catch coon stripe shrimp - those are best caught off a dock with a ten-speed rim, a piece of old burlap sack strung around it so it sags, a rock in the middle of it, some cheap poly line to lower it and raise it again slowly in 10 or 15 minutes and a can of cat food tied to the sacking...

Comment

Nikko wrote:
                To catch shrimp you need to drag a net across the bottom. Unless you want to catch coon stripe shrimp - those are best caught off a dock with a ten-speed rim, a piece of old burlap sack strung around it so it sags, a rock in the middle of it, some cheap poly line to lower it and raise it again slowly in 10 or 15 minutes and a can of cat food tied to the sacking...
                Yup, we talkin PRAWNS baby...not shrimp! Don't ask for good "shrimping" spots in BC or you'll get laughed at!

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]All joking aside, prawn traps are not that different from crab traps, except for:1. the mesh size is smaller2. the size of the opening is smaller
                Mike P
                The Bahamas
                Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

This is the setup I use. Imagine 100 feet between traps, 700-800 feet between traps and first buoy

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/748842=34582-Shrimp Setup.jpg[/img]
                  Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Nice rig.
                    Mike P
                    The Bahamas
                    Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Alaskanmutt wrote:
                      This is the setup I use. Imagine 100 feet between traps, 700-800 feet between traps and first buoy
                      Do you have the bouys attached on a ring that slides?

Comment

Nope, it may look like it cause the buoys are so close to the traps, The streaming buoy clips to the end of the line (spliced eye) and the high flyer clips to the streaming buoy so I have that "Deadliest Catch" space to hook it with the boat hook.

I just have it clipped close to the traps in the pic to show how I run them, there is actually 700 to 800 of line between the last pot and the first buoy.

Here in Alaska the key is steep and deep.
                        Boatless at this time

Comment

Got it, thx. I run about 400' of line and because I don't have a puller, I rarely put two traps on one line (I have a second 400' length for the second trap). when I do I have about 50' between them...

hopefully headed out for an o'night this weekend - may have to drop the trap

Comment

Sigh, season doesn't open until May 15th. And then only if the ramp and harbor thaws
                            Boatless at this time

Comment

green650 wrote:
                              Im going to give shrimpin a try this year. I have been crabbing and have 6 crabpot set-ups.

How is the shrimpin set-up different? (other than the pot)
                              I know you're out of Bellingham green650. I like to think we have crab figured out, I do ok with the fish, but shrimp last year was pretty poor unless you were further south. We messed around with the rope(400' per pot), pots, bait, etc etc, camped on our gear so it didn't get stolen or sucked under(there was a floatilla of shrimpers), and then us and everyone around us pulled in blanks. 3-1/2 hours of on-the-water-time and alot of work and cost for the setups...for zip. You've got to have a decent puller as it's the downward force of the water that keeps the shrimp in the pot when it's coming up or they swim out. In the latest shrimp allotment we did well and will pick up alot of days for shrimping for 2013, but the commerical efforts were all pushed to the straight and san juans. I'm on the fence wether I'll bother trying again because I'm not so sure there will be any shrimp to be had up here. That seems to be the trend these days, these "false" victories with recreational allotment going up but no additional stock to harvest. I think the natives are hitting it harder in spite, if you ask me.

I'm probably $700 into my homebuilt puller, 2 ladner stainless stackables, 400' of rope and good sized inflatable LD-2 bouys for each pot. Those foam bullet bouys are no good and will equal lost gear. Bought new and all done up would probably run in excess of a boat buck. The pots must be weighted to around 20#'s minimum plus line and are hard for me to handle. The 400' of line is hard to deal with and you need to have hose reels or something to wind it onto as you bring the pot up.

Comment

Working...
                              X