2005 305 ciera-gctid394514

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 305 ciera-gctid394514

I'm new to this club. We are thinking about buying a 2005 305 Ciera that is used. Any thoughts about this boat in general and anything I should be looking for before purchasing.

We are relatively new to boating (been riding SeaDoo PWC for 9 yrs) and thinking about moving up in the world.... and yes I plan to keep the PWCs.

I moved your post to an area it will get a little better attention.

Its a great boat, mine is basically the same thing. The 2005 has an upgraded interior, but other than that they are basically the same. That being said we love our 3055, great boats. Try to get 5.7's if you can but its not a requirement.

Welcome to BOC!

Comment

Love our 305!! In my opinion, make sure it has a/c and a generator. I know that those two things make our experience great!

Good luck!

Comment

Biohazard: Thanks for the move.... What are 5.7s?

Comment

5.7 is a motor type.

Comment

They are an engine option for this boat.

There was 5.0, 5.7, 7.4, and 5.9 diesel(I think it was 5.9??) options for this boat.

The 5.0's work just fine but the 5.7's give you a bit more power and better mileage.

Comment

We love ours. Great boat. Although, I think it's a bit much for a first boat. Most people with the 305 began boating with something smaller first. I'm not saying that it can't be done, it's just a lot of boat, that's all. I boated with 18 and 22 footers for 10 years before moving up to the 305, and it was a different world. This is my second year with the 305 and I'm really now just starting to get comfortable with it and really starting to "understand" the boat and how it will react to different situations and scenarios.

But one thing is for certain, if you do get it, there are quite a few of us 305'ers on this site and we're more than willing to help out with any questions you have.

-john
              2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
              Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
              Bravo II drives
              Closed-cooling

Comment

It is a great boat, so much room and storage. Get the gen and AC. That is a big first boat. Get it surveyed!!!

Comment

You simply can't find a 305/3055 owner who doesn't rave about how great the boat is. I'm included. I've done a lot of shopping and it's nearly impossible to find another boat with the combination of beam and general layout that gives you so much useful room. It really is a floating apartment.

Since you are new to boats, and this is a lot of boat, I would make one very strong recommendation: Get a survey. A marine survey is like a home inspection, and you'll get a huge report about the state of all of the critical systems and structure of the boat. You'll spend around $500 for an in-water survey and a couple hundred more for a haul-out survey. Well worth it. If you can tag along for at least part of the survey and you find a surveyor who is willing to have you do that, you'll learn a lot. Even offer him an extra $100 to show you all of the critical boat systems and their maintenance.

http://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp

Comment

+1 on the hull survey. Also get an engine survey.

I run 5.0's and have been very happy with them. Solid motor, doesn't produce enough power to hurt itself and I still cruise 30mph across the San Pedro channel in a 4ft swell. It's a solid boat, you won't find another 30ft class boat with the same size. You will love it.
                    sigpic
                    MDR3055
                    "GREEN JEANS"
                    '99 Bayliner 3055
                    Merc 5.0's Bravo 2's
                    Marina Del Rey, CA

Comment

Stevie010 wrote:
                      Biohazard: Thanks for the move.... What are 5.7s?
                      5.7 is a small block Chevy engine. The 5.0 is a SBC as well, it produces less HP and torque. The 7.4L is a big block chevy motor.
                      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                      1998 3055 Ciera
                      (yes, a 1998)
                      Previous boat: 1993 3055
                      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                      Sea Doo XP
                      Sea Doo GTI SE
                      Life is short. Boats are cool.
                      The family that plays together stays together.
                      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I love my 2001 3055. If I were to get advice make sure the boat has fuel injected engines. My engines are carb'd and gave me problems at first. Now that I have a good mechanic no problem whatsover..a few cranks and Im running. Fuel injected gets you better fuel economy, no cranking when starting etc.

Also, it's a great first boat. It's much more costly to buy a small one only to have to upgrade again later. My only wish was that my 3055 was my first boat and I didnt start with the 28 footer.

The 305 has a unique build..I walked on a 30' Searay and it didnt feel as big or roomy..plus the large windows allow for a lot of natural light.

I have an inverter so I can watch tv and all that while on the hook but I do wish I had a genny..I will say that mechanics have told me its tough to work on 3055s with the genny sitting in the middle so labor costs will go up.

Also, since this is your first boat..the 305 will get about 1 mile per gallon..just think you should know that.

Other than that she is a thing of beauty..rides level..very sea worthy..I cant complain.

Comment

I will say that mechanics have told me its tough to work on 3055s with the genny sitting in the middle so labor costs will go up.
                          Only for certain major operations. Otherwise I don't find that my generator is in the way. However without a sound shield (optional) it's too loud to run while sleeping.

Comment

cwiert wrote:
                            We love ours. Great boat. Although, I think it's a bit much for a first boat. Most people with the 305 began boating with something smaller first. I'm not saying that it can't be done, it's just a lot of boat, that's all. I boated with 18 and 22 footers for 10 years before moving up to the 305, and it was a different world. This is my second year with the 305 and I'm really now just starting to get comfortable with it and really starting to "understand" the boat and how it will react to different situations and scenarios.

But one thing is for certain, if you do get it, there are quite a few of us 305'ers on this site and we're more than willing to help out with any questions you have.

-john
                            Good point.

Going from seadoos to a decent size boat can get scary, quickly.

But, I don't think it would be life threatening, like getting a 1000cc sportbike as a first motorcycle (Ive been riding along time and always recommend to newbies to get an old crappy bike first because you will dump it).

It might get expensive on the wallet if you bounce off docks or other boats or hit some rocks, but in the long run, that may be cheaper than selling an 18footer at a loss and getting a 22footer, and then selling the 22footer at a loss and getting a 26footer, etc.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                              Only for certain major operations. Otherwise I don't find that my generator is in the way. However without a sound shield (optional) it's too loud to run while sleeping.
                              Since I do my on work, I can appreciate not having a genny, it makes for maint and repairs ALOT easier. To me even changing the oil or the impellar on the starboard engine would become alot more difficult that it needs to be. That being said, if I could afford that tiny littke 3k genny (you know the one), I would install it without hesitation. We use a honda 2000, it fits perfectly under the back seat and powers anything we need. That combined with our 2000w inverter makes life away from the dock effortless Well almost

If I had a genny, I wouldnt mind, but I am ok without one my honda does the job well. A/C with reverse heat however, is a requirement!

Comment

Working...
                              X