Discovery 192 w/Garmin 546 Chart plotter-gctid347089

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery 192 w/Garmin 546 Chart plotter-gctid347089

I'm wondering if any of you have installed a chart plotter on a Bayliner Discovery 192. I'm thinking of getting the Garmin 546 and am curious as to whether it would be best to flush mount it or not. Which type of mount provides the best visibility? Is there room behind the dash to do a flush mount install? I've been worried about the wires being exposed using the mounting bracket. Seems like a flush mount would look better, but before I cut a big hole in my dash, I'd like to see what others have to say. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

I would be surprised if you can flush mount a chart plotter on a 192. The dashboard is very compact; I think you would have a hard time finding a 6" x 7" flat spot with nothing important directly behind it.

If I am wrong, and you are able to find a flush mount spot, the wiring won't be too terrible. The fuse box is accessible and there is a good amount of space to work. The best part is that you don't have to be a contortionist; you can sit or kneel in the cabin and reach everything.

Comment

I flush mounted the garmin 750s in mine. Installed to the left of the steering wheel and fits perfe, and looks like it was meant to be there. Visibility is no problem at all.

Comment

First, I purchased the 546s for our 3218 and really have enjoyed it.

Second, I would dash mount it so that it could be removed from the elements. Also, you will find that it will be handy to be able to move the screen around depending on if you are seated or standing and to get the glare off the screen.

Just my take on it.
        Patrick and Patti
        4588 Pilothouse 1991
        12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
        M/V "Paloma"
        MMSI # 338142921

Comment

I flushmounted one as well left of steering wheel. lots of room for wires behind dash.

Comment

I had some stainless brackets laser cut and attached my GPS to my windshield brace tube on the right side of the walk thru, and only had to drill a small hole for the wiring to pass into the dash. When you dock somewhere or park the boat, unbolt the clamp screw, unplug the 1/4 turn power plug and take the GPS with you so it doesn't grow legs.

I had to make minimum order for the laser cutting so I bought 10 sets of parts, still have 6 left.

The hard part is, that bayliner just slaps these in there and then drills the holes and bolts them in place, so the angle side to side and front to back can be all over the place. I end up tig welding the pieces of the bracket at an angle "custom" so that the GPS is level to each boats deck.

$25 shipped if you would like a bracket. Comes with the plastic clamps and hardware as shown, will mount a Garmin 4 or 5 series.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/650462=24247-garmininstall2.jpg[/img]

Comment

I guess the smartest thing to do is a dash mount w/the standard bracket. A flush mount is always possible in the future, if this doesn't work out. Now to wait for Hamilton Marine's spring sale.

Comment

When I purchased mine I got it from MegaGPS.com. They have great prices and if you take the add to WM they will match the pricing. I also installed a NMEA2000 backbone so that I could run fuel flow sensors. Purchased that stuff from Ebay. With your boat you may have the newer engines with electronic connections on board already. That means if you decide to install the backbone later, you can tie your engine harness into it and monitor your engine from your Garmin as well.

Good luck. I think you are really going to enjoy the 546s. If you are going to be using it on the coast I would get the chip with it. Not sure if it works on inland water ways but it might. When I purchased mine from Mega, they had a special on the chips. Nice to have the satellite views and additional navigation features. Always something you can add later if not on sale with purchase of unit.

One other benefit of the dash mount, for $35 you can purchase the additional mount and wire harness. That way if you have a tender or another boat that you use for fishing you can easily transfer from one boat to the other.
                Patrick and Patti
                4588 Pilothouse 1991
                12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                M/V "Paloma"
                MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Thanks again for your advice. I just today discovered that my MacBook Pro is not compatible with Garmin's chart plotter updates. I need to figure out how to get around this issue.

After posting this, I asked Garmin about it. They said I can purchase HomePort (software - $30), to work with a Mac.

Comment

BeaverFood wrote:
                    I guess the smartest thing to do is a dash mount w/the standard bracket. A flush mount is always possible in the future, if this doesn't work out. Now to wait for Hamilton Marine's spring sale.
                    Mine came with a flush mount GPS Chart/Sonar.

Hopeless to use - trolling and using the sonar looking down at it for fish and not watching the boats around you - not a good look.

Am looking for a bracket to mount on the dash so that it is in my sight line.

It's a 700$ unit plus charts that being wasted where it is.

Alan_192

melbourne

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

Get Garmin's HomePort software to work with a Mac.

Comment

I got the mounting bracket from rkcarguy, who provided a photo earlier in this post. It's like it was made for my boat. If anyone is interested, a guy at Hamilton Marine suggested that I line the 3/4" hole in the transom w/bondo, prior to filling it back in with sealant. He suggest using a router bit to enlarge the hole slightly, behind the outer walls of fiberglass, then put bondo in there to prevent water from ever getting at the core. The sealant they recommended is Sudbury's Elastomeric Marine Sealant. The large hole was needed in order to get the plug (from the transducer) through the hole.

I've also mounted two Smith rod holders, so when the ice leaves Moosehead Lake, my wife and I will be doing some trolling.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/656365=24868-Chartplotter.jpg[/img]

Comment

Lookin good!

Does that block the view of that gage on the left?

The mount can be slid up and down the tube, rotated side to side, and then the GPS swivels on it's mount, so lots of adjustment without drilling holes in the boat every time.

Comment

All the gauges are clearly visible. It's nice having the screen right at eye level, especially when you wear triple-vision glasses.

The entire stainless steel brace (from dash to windshield) turns, so I suspect I'm going to have to figure out how to stabilize things before I'm done. At first, I thought the black brackets were not tight enough. They are not the problem; it's the whole brace that turns, without much effort. I'm going to try it on the water before doing anything else. That will be in May.

I'm sure it's going to be fine!

Comment

Working...
                            X