Little fishing boat advice needed-gctid347074

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little fishing boat advice needed-gctid347074

I posted this on The Hull Truth, a fishing/boating forum, but haven't had much response.

I want a small fishing boat for home.

We will use it for fishing; walleye, musky, bass, panfish; and for playing around on our lake. The lake is small, 20 miles long by about 2-3 miles wide, so it's not "big water". Our kids (young adults) will tube and wakeboard with friends. In the not-too-distant future it will take grand kids exploring and for ice cream and swimming.

I have a possible deal available on a non-current '08 Alumacraft Trophy 175, and a non-current '11 Suzuki DF140.

They are old stock, not used. The Alumacraft has full warranty (20 years), and Suzuki is offering a deal that boosts warranty to 6 years.

I've searched the various small boat and fishing forums and I can't find any serious problems with either the Alumacraft or the Suzuki. Is anyone here aware of problems, or have advice on this package? Good or bad - I'd like to hear it.

Hey Mike,

When I managed a parts department at a marine dealer we sold alumicraft boats. I can tell you they are excellent quality built here in minnesota. When we would put alumicraft up to a lund the hull differences were distinct as alumicraft uses a double layer aluminum hull making them far more rigid and structurally sound.

We also did own another dealership that sold only lund boats as well. When we mounted engines on the lunds we would have to add a big steel plate to the transom for reinforcement. On the alumicraft you could simply install the engine right to the transom with no issues or reinforcement needed.

Alumicraft is a good company, makes a solid boat. I wouldnt buy any other if I was to buy a small 17-19' fishing boat

Suzuki I have 0 experience with, if its mercury or yamaha I can give ya some of my experience there too

Comment

The DF140 is possibly the best engine in its class with regards to fuel efficiency, power to weight, and ease of maintenance. I'm a Yamaha fan, and also like Merc- were I to be in the market right now, the Suzuki would be at the top of the list.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
        When I managed a parts department at a marine dealer we sold alumicraft boats. I can tell you they are excellent quality built here in minnesota. When we would put alumicraft up to a lund the hull differences were distinct as alumicraft uses a double layer aluminum hull making them far more rigid and structurally sound.

We also did own another dealership that sold only lund boats as well. When we mounted engines on the lunds we would have to add a big steel plate to the transom for reinforcement. On the alumicraft you could simply install the engine right to the transom with no issues or reinforcement needed.

Alumicraft is a good company, makes a solid boat. I wouldnt buy any other if I was to buy a small 17-19' fishing boat
        Thanks for that input Ryan- especially the comparison to Lund. Lund has a very good rep here in Southern Ontario. Alumacraft is relatively unknown.

Pau Hana wrote:
        The DF140 is possibly the best engine in its class with regards to fuel efficiency, power to weight, and ease of maintenance. I'm a Yamaha fan, and also like Merc- were I to be in the market right now, the Suzuki would be at the top of the list.
        Thanks Pete. My search didn't turn up much in the way of problems. Now I see why. All the big motor names have great engines.

It's been a while since I've had a mid-size outboard. Since I got into cruisers, all my outboards were 25HP and less.

I was very impressed with Evinrude's (BRP) electronics. With a certain key and switch selection, it boosts oil injection rate and goes into a self-winterizing routine. Pretty cool.

Another aluminium boat that looked to be really well built is Polar Kraft. Very nice little boat.

Comment

No problem Mike! Lund does make a great boat, but they are huge and their name is known everywhere. Alumicraft is very popular around here beacuse its built here. In my opinion both are great, but alumicraft's double hull wins

Comment

I'm still on the fence about the E-tec; it's still a 2 stroke (even with better technology) and has the awesome power that only a suck-pop can deliver. At the same time, Evinrude/BRP/Johnson had more than their fair share of troubles with regards to performance and reliability. You also have to factor in the 2 stroke oil.

Suzukis are known for their reliability, quietness, and performance.

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/...tec-and-yamaha

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...d.php?t=328673

Comment

I highly reccomend Playcraft pontoons. Fish, ski, go fast (mine does 50+) stable, easy to beach, built in steps up the back, very high quality. I/O (mine is 350 mag, Bravo 3) or outboard. This is our 4th one, 15 years total with them.

http://www.playcraftboats.com/
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
              "GetAway"
              Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I currently have 2 small Suzuki's and a 90 hp Etec.

Can't compare the small motors to a 140 hp but I will say they are my 3rd Suzuki and I have been very happy with them all.

The Etec is a 2 stroke but you would never know it. It doesn't burn the oil, it is injected directly to the points needed in the engine as as such while expensive, it uses almost no oil. I put more fuel through my Etec in a season than the 38xx and use less than a gallon of oil.

The neat thing about an Etec is it is warranted for 3 years and there is zero maintenance for 3 years. I did change the plugs however.

The only problem I have had is hose failure from alcohol in the gas I used.

I bought the Etec mainly because of less weight of a 2 stroke and I bought the Suzuki's for its low weight for a 4 stroke.

Both have served me well.

Doug
                Started boating 1955
                Number of boats owned 32
                Bayliners
                3870 presently owned
                Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Have fun shopping, Mike.

We, too, are thinking about a runabout to put in the slip beside us....really like the look of Edgewater Boats.

http://www.ewboats.com/

Their 15 or 17 would fit the bill for us...in our case, the 15 would be more what we would need.

Comment

Well it has been YEARS since I left the midwest and lake fishing but back in the day both those brands had excellent reputations. I have spent many hours in Alumacraft boats trolling for stippers. Brings back alot of memories nothing compared to Halibut and Big Kings but back them a large stripped bass was a lot of fun.

Comment

A thought Mike. As you know we have the Sea Nymph as a tender to our 38xx. I keep looking for something newer but as you know and mentioned, the Sea Nymph is a pretty nice boat. One of the problems with many new boats like we are looking at is the windshield. Mona refuses to even look at any boat that doesn't protect her from the wind at the speeds we reach with these boats. The model you mention has a full windshield which makes it a plus.

Another thing that is important to us (and may not be to you) is ease of using a small trolling motor. This means a comfortable place to sit while using it. I like my small Suzuki for this and it is more than enough motor for our 16.5 Sea Nymph. If this is important to you it might be a problem with this model.

Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

jeffw wrote:
                        I highly reccomend Playcraft pontoons. Fish, ski, go fast (mine does 50+) stable, easy to beach, built in steps up the back, very high quality. I/O (mine is 350 mag, Bravo 3) or outboard. This is our 4th one, 15 years total with them.

http://www.playcraftboats.com/
                        Jeff, we were almost at the point of choosing a pontoon boat. Very practical, stable, and with big power they perform almost like mono-hull boats. A friend has a Premier (hi-end boat) with a 250 on it. We had 8 people on board pulling a skier. Pretty cool. The downside of the 'toon is trailerability is reduced. They need a much better launch ramp and bigger tow vehicle. I want this wee boat to be available to my kids too, so I'm back to a traditional design.

dmcb wrote:
                        A thought Mike. As you know we have the Sea Nymph as a tender to our 38xx. I keep looking for something newer but as you know and mentioned, the Sea Nymph is a pretty nice boat. One of the problems with many new boats like we are looking at is the windshield. Mona refuses to even look at any boat that doesn't protect her from the wind at the speeds we reach with these boats. The model you mention has a full windshield which makes it a plus.

Another thing that is important to us (and may not be to you) is ease of using a small trolling motor. This means a comfortable place to sit while using it. I like my small Suzuki for this and it is more than enough motor for our 16.5 Sea Nymph. If this is important to you it might be a problem with this model.

Doug
                        Yes - Sea Nymph is hard to beat. I had a 16.5' Sea Nymph Fishing Machine. I loved it. It had a 25 Evinrude when I bought it. It was OK but couldn't plane well with 3 guys and their gear. Especially if the carpets were wet. I iinstalled an older Johnson 60. Much better performance but not a reliable engine - ignition problems. I pulled out its electronic ignition system and cobbled together points, condenser and traditional coils. Better still but not reliable enough.

On this new boat, my boss wants a windshield too. Non-negotiable item. And needs to be very reliable because it will get used by others. You all know what that means.

I'm probably not going to mount a kicker. I will install a good bow-mount electric with hand remote, GPS and auto-pilot.

I'm sure you've seen the connecting rods you can use between the main outboard and the kicker? I'm going to guess you want the tiller in hand for finer control, yes?

Comment

Working...
                        X