Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must Haves in the Boat Tool Kit - General and Specific-gctid775022

Hi Gang!

I'm new to the forum, not to boating. But I just purchased a new 2015 Bayliner 642 Overnighter with a Merc 4.3 MPI and Alpha 1 outdrive. I have a few questions regarding tools. Aside from the given duct tape & bailing wire, what tools or materials have you found are must-haves?

1. Top 10 or must-haves on-board tools/materials for any boat?

2. Specific tools/materials recommended for the 4.3 and A1 setup?

3. Any secret special super-cool items?

Like any boater - I'm interested in saving space - only the necessities . . . but definitely the necessities!

Thanks!!!
    It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
    2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
    Eagle Runner

I discovered these earlier this year. They're Vise Grip Locking Wrenches. They ROCK!

I have three each in my truck and on the boat. AMAZING and a Must have tool for any boat I have.

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Spare prop kit and prop wrench-the floating one

Screwdrivers, blade and cross point

Adjustable wrench

Regular pliers

Large adjustable pliers aka channel lock

Vice grip pliers

WD-40 as a water displacer not a penetrant

Go-Jo type hand soap

Multimeter

LED flashlight

Spare batteries for everything battery operated

Emergency leak repair tape

Electrical tape

All of this should fit inside of a plastic lunch box with room to spare except the prop and prop wrench

That 4.3 is a great engine. I've had a pair in my soon to be sold boat for 14 years and over 900 hours. Mine have closed cooling making changing spark plugs a challenge. The plug part was okay, it's getting the plug wires off and on because the access between the cooling hose and the bottom of the manifold is tight. I added a long zip tie on each boot so I have something to grab and pull on with a relatively straight angle and I can keep the boot flat to get it on the plug going back together.

Enjoy
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Zip ties and bungees.
        88 Capri 2150 305 OMC
        91 and 93 Yamaha Waverunner III 650
        Cincinnati, OH

Comment

9x12 tarp

Spare cord (rope) 1/4", the kind you get at the Dollar Store
          Midnight Star
          1996 3587
          Twin diesels, Hino 250's
          Ladysmith, BC
          History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

Several years ago, I was at Costco and found a bargain on a 150 piece tool kit for like $50. Have used them for about 10 years now. Give them a bath in WD-40 every year to keep things turning and moving. More than paid for themselves. That kit includes:

- Imperial/Metric sockets/wrenches (most common sizes)

- spark plug sockets

- various screwdriver heads/hex heads etc...

- tape measure

- plyers, cutters, spanner

- almost every tool needed except some oddball larger sockets/wrenches. Quality of the stainless is meh.... but good enough to leave on the boat and not worry about them being stolen. Came in a handy folding case.

Other key boat items:

- inexpensive multi-meter

- Walmart crimping tool kit w various wire connectors/terminals

- Oil Filter tool

- small jar of Never Seize

- small can of penetrating lube

- container of locktite

- box of stainless steel self-tapping screws

- spares kit of automotive fuses

- bag of rags

- oil absorbant pads

- bottle of degreaser
            Terry
            1999 Bayliner 3388
            Twin Cummins 4BTA
            Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
            Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

JB weild repaired a water inlet elbow on kicker meant no rowing required on tender while away on long weekend.

Comment

Great points by all here by all!!! Great discussion!!!

I like the idea of everything fitting into a 13-inch long pliable wide-mouth Craftsman zipping tool bag, except for maybe the spare prop.

1. Versa Tape (underwater tape, great idea)

2. JB Quik (JB weld with quick set time)

3. Anti-seize (WD40 - maybe good enough for double duty)

4. Volt OHM Meter w/spare battery

5. Wire crimps set with various connectors + extra fuses

6. Vice grip (medium size)

7. Channel Lock (medium size)

8. Small and regular-sized Phillips and flathead screwdrivers (four total)

9. Dykes (wire cutters with pliers)

10. Standard set of pliers

11. Sockets and ratchet with only the ones needed

12. Rope - yes! (and duct tape, zip ties, and bailing wire)

13. Electrical tape

14. LED flashlight - waterproof

15. Sorbent pads! I hadn't thought of that, just a few is probably sufficient

16. Spare prop kit

17. 10" Crescent wrench (floating or tied to a float, or I'll use the rope and tie it to the boat!)

18. Extra drain plug! (Just remembered I actually packed one on my last boat)

19. Multi-tool with knife, pliers, etc.

20. Two bungee cords . . .?

21. Magnet and string?

22. Wrapping the tools with rags to prevent banging, too.

23. Li Ion battery charger/starter?

As you can see - we'll soon get to the point where some tools will need to be "kicked off the island" -- you guys with the bigger boats likely have bigger kits!!!

How would we rank these in order of importance????

Any must-have's not listed?

Should I pare this down? It's all relative to boat size, so nothing personal if items get kicked off.

Freedre -- what's the tarp for? Cover during repair? SomeSailor -- do those Vice Grips work on everything, or just hex nuts? What about an extra spark plug? Or socket wrench (deep well)? Or screws - what for? Great suggestions here!!!! Not sure if I'll get it all into the kit.

Note: We can also quickly digress into safety gear (I keep spare batteries for my two-way UHF handheld, and I always travel with 2 two-way radios (Motorola) that are charged. Not sure why, except that I boat with friends in limited cell coverage areas) - plus granola bars, air horn, flare, safety blanket, paper towels, an oar, plenty of preservers, large flash light, first aid kit, etc. I keep plenty of hand soap on board, extra water in jug, and a roll of toilet paper in zip locks.

. . . Maybe we do the safety kit next?

Trying to stay focused on tools for emergency repairs only and what will actually fit into the repair bag that I hope I only rarely would use.

I probably need to dump a few things here!!!

PC Pete -- thank you regarding the info about the 4.3!!! 900 hours, wow - very excited!!! I hope to treat it exactly right to keep it all as happy as possible!!!!

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!

Thank you for the suggestions and conversation and any edits!!!!
                It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
                2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
                Eagle Runner

Comment

CapMartin, Montr├®al
                  "Belle de Dalhousie"
                  1986 3270
                  Volvo BB225B

Comment

Great suggestions above - to add to that.

An assortment of small sections of pipe (appropriately sized to the ID of your hoses) and hose clamps can get you out of a bind if a hose is to blow.

A collection of small spring loaded clamps come in handy all the time. Holds up tarps and can hold down jury rigged repairs.

Jumper cables - the longer the better. Don't get hung up on wire size (you can make it work if you are patient) but you do need to get to the battery on the boat that is jumping you.

Crazy glue

A mickey of rum (in case you run out of beer)
                    2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
                    Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

Comment

Some of this will depend upon the boat you have and where you boat.

Seeing you have a newer run-a-bout this is what I would have in mine. (I am including what I would carry in general, not just tools):

1) Basic first aid kit

2) Sunscreen

3) Portable horn

4) Flare kit

5) Spare anchor and line

6) Jump pack

7) Basic took kit with screw drivers, socket set, plyers

8) Heavy duty tape

9) JB Weld

10) Spare prop and kit with socket

11) Always have a spare life jacket or two.

12) Spare dock lines

13) Handheld VHF

14) WD40 or similar

15) Assortment of zip ties and a small package of assorted nuts, bolts and screws.

If you can, a second battery with switch would be a fantastic addition. This way you can isolate the starting battery from a power draw while you are on the hook.

Grant it you can go crazy like some of us and have an 18volt cordless drill. A dedicated organizer for bolts, nuts and washers. Another one for screws. Another for electrical, and yet another for plumbing supplies. Then a 5th for misl. stuff. You get the picture.

Bottom line. Prepare for the boating you do. If you are river and lake boating where you are usually always within eye shot of land your needs will be different than someone cruising Lake Michigan from Holland to Chicago.
                      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                      1998 3055 Ciera
                      (yes, a 1998)
                      Previous boat: 1993 3055
                      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                      Sea Doo XP
                      Sea Doo GTI SE
                      Life is short. Boats are cool.
                      The family that plays together stays together.
                      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

"rhythmpoetdonut" post=775131 wrote:
                        Great points by all here by all!!! Great discussion!!!

I like the idea of everything fitting into a 13-inch long pliable wide-mouth Craftsman zipping tool bag, except for maybe the spare prop.

1. Versa Tape (underwater tape, great idea)

2. JB Quik (JB weld with quick set time)

3. Anti-seize (WD40 - maybe good enough for double duty)

4. Volt OHM Meter w/spare battery

5. Wire crimps set with various connectors + extra fuses

6. Vice grip (medium size)

7. Channel Lock (medium size)

8. Small and regular-sized Phillips and flathead screwdrivers (four total)

9. Dykes (wire cutters with pliers)

10. Standard set of pliers

11. Sockets and ratchet with only the ones needed

12. Rope - yes! (and duct tape, zip ties, and bailing wire)

13. Electrical tape

14. LED flashlight - waterproof

15. Sorbent pads! I hadn't thought of that, just a few is probably sufficient

16. Spare prop kit

17. 10" Crescent wrench (floating or tied to a float, or I'll use the rope and tie it to the boat!)

18. Extra drain plug! (Just remembered I actually packed one on my last boat)

19. Multi-tool with knife, pliers, etc.

20. Two bungee cords . . .?

21. Magnet and string?

22. Wrapping the tools with rags to prevent banging, too.

23. Li Ion battery charger/starter?

As you can see - we'll soon get to the point where some tools will need to be "kicked off the island" -- you guys with the bigger boats likely have bigger kits!!!

How would we rank these in order of importance????

Any must-have's not listed?

Should I pare this down? It's all relative to boat size, so nothing personal if items get kicked off.

Freedre -- what's the tarp for? Cover during repair? SomeSailor -- do those Vice Grips work on everything, or just hex nuts? What about an extra spark plug? Or socket wrench (deep well)? Or screws - what for? Great suggestions here!!!! Not sure if I'll get it all into the kit.

Note: We can also quickly digress into safety gear (I keep spare batteries for my two-way UHF handheld, and I always travel with 2 two-way radios (Motorola) that are charged. Not sure why, except that I boat with friends in limited cell coverage areas) - plus granola bars, air horn, flare, safety blanket, paper towels, an oar, plenty of preservers, large flash light, first aid kit, etc. I keep plenty of hand soap on board, extra water in jug, and a roll of toilet paper in zip locks.

. . . Maybe we do the safety kit next?

Trying to stay focused on tools for emergency repairs only and what will actually fit into the repair bag that I hope I only rarely would use.

I probably need to dump a few things here!!!

PC Pete -- thank you regarding the info about the 4.3!!! 900 hours, wow - very excited!!! I hope to treat it exactly right to keep it all as happy as possible!!!!

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!

Thank you for the suggestions and conversation and any edits!!!!
                        A hammer because sometimes you just have to beat on it.

A heavy large long screw driver. Sometimes goes on the other end of the hammer but also to pry with.

You don't kick this stuff off the island. You separate into 2 or more groups. One that you feel you will need to get to often.

The others can be tucked in the bilge or any other place out of the way.

When you need it, you need it.

Doug
                        Started boating 1955
                        Number of boats owned 32
                        Bayliners
                        3870 presently owned
                        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Another thing people forget about is the windlass if the lazy button stops working what do you need to haul the pick mine has a winch handle or i can old school pull by hand and as I have all chain I also carry a hacksaw with spare blades and leather gloves just in case the pick is stuck fast.

Comment

I carry an electric grinder with the proper blade in case that happens. That chain is pretty hard.

I also carry a large clevis to prevent the need of the grinder. You slide the clevis over the tight chain with a strong rope attached. The clevis slides down the chain to the anchor.

Using the dinghy or help from a friendly boat, you now pull the anchor backwards hopefully pulling it back out from whatever is holding it. Make that rope a long one for a good angle.

The last resort would be cutting loose 250 feet of chain and a 43# stainless steel anchor.

But it may have to be done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevis_fastener

The one I carry looks like the second picture. You want it large for the weight to carry it to the anchor.

Doug
                            Started boating 1955
                            Number of boats owned 32
                            Bayliners
                            3870 presently owned
                            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Spare light bulbs, fuses, batteries.

Most of tools/parts are determined by the boating you do.
                              1998 Capri 1950CL
                              3 Liter MerCruiser
                              Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
                              2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

Working...
                              X