Diesel Smoke Causes Cancer-gctid393245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel Smoke Causes Cancer-gctid393245

Read this just today, not exactly great news for us boaters who use diesel, especially the older sooty ones. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...nd-hand-smoke/
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Everything causes cancer.

Comment

I worked in the heavy engine industry as a Maintenance and Engineering Fleet Manager for years. The soot is the main issue and you would dam near have to wrap your mouth around the exhaust to have a problem. New diesels are pretty clean and the water through the exhaust washes the rest down so little is airborne.

Comment

green650 wrote:
        Everything causes cancer.
        Agreed.

Comment

This makes me even happier to be repowering with a Perkins 4.108 Diesel. The WHO could bite me, lol!

Comment

Ii love it! Gasoline engines may blow up. Diesil engines cause cancer. You're damed if you do damed if you don't lol

Comment

Gas = instant death no pain

Diesel = Slow agonizing painful death

Cheers, Hans
              2007 Carver 41 CMY
              Twin Volvo D6-370
              Montreal, Canada
              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Cancer therapy causes cancer.

Comment

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the global effort to push global warming "green" initiatives ...

Comment

life is a terminal disease, no one gets out alive, don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things...

Comment

This has been an issue in the fire service for years, we live inside the station that we keep our diesel engines. Every time we go out it fills up our living area. For the last 15 years they have been addressing the issue with exhaust systems. We have a 7 times greater chance of getting most cancers then the rest of the population.

The other problem is the benzine in the smoke causes hearing loss.

Good times huh?

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                        http://"http://www.cancer.org/Cancer...Cancer therapy causes cancer.
                        What a radiating statement!!

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                          Agreed.
                          as they say.. "eat it now, do it now, because tomorrow it will cause cancer"

Comment

That article doesn't do a great job explaining it, but this cancer connection is related to the older, high sulphur diesel combinations. The haven't made any connection to cancer with the newer engines with low sulphur fuel. India and China are still producing high sulphur diesel and old style engines, and I suspect that is who the WHO was trying to nudge with this study.

Comment

I bought a piece of plywood this past week from Home Depot. Stamped on that piece of wood read the following. "This product creates wood dust which is known to the state of California to cause cancer." Next time you are in HD take a look at the plywood. Apparently wood dust is produced from wood. :wow- who knew? Also, I heard California causes cancer according to the state of California. Anything in excess can cause cancer. I would like to see a study on how much we spend a year on studies! :blah-

Comment

Working...
                              X