Alcohol Stoves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol Stoves

Newbie question here. Which is the best type of alcohol to use in these stoves? Ethynol, methynol, is there a stove fuel specifically for these stoves? I just read and downloaded the instructions for lighting the alcy stove but now I need fuel to test it out. The stove hadn't been used much in it's 30 years so I am going through it so it doesn't light my boat on fire! Thanks for the info.

pugetsounder wrote:
    Newbie question here. Which is the best type of alcohol to use in these stoves? Ethynol, methynol, is there a stove fuel specifically for these stoves? I just read and downloaded the instructions for lighting the alcy stove but now I need fuel to test it out. The stove hadn't been used much in it's 30 years so I am going through it so it doesn't light my boat on fire! Thanks for the info.
    Methanol aka methyl alcohol.

Ethanol will work, but will not generate the same heat output. From what I've heard, alcohol stoves need all the help they can get in this regard.

You probably know that any alcohol tends to absorb water from the air. When it does, the diluted mixture will still burn, but with reduced heat.
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

I'd recommend ditching the alcohol stove.

Comment

706jim wrote:
        Methanol aka methyl alcohol.

Ethanol will work, but will not generate the same heat output. From what I've heard, alcohol stoves need all the help they can get in this regard.

You probably know that any alcohol tends to absorb water from the air. When it does, the diluted mixture will still burn, but with reduced heat.
        Thanks that is exactly the info i was looking for.

Comment

Alcohol stoves are great, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Comment

X2 on Denatured alcohol only

here is a link to the Origo stove.

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/73/8...N%20070122.pdf
            1988 3218
            Triple “O"
            Hino diesels

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

90% of the problems reported comes when fuel sits around in the tins and absorbs water. It will light, but will burn orange. Better to dry out the fuel tins and refill with fresh fuel. The flame should burn clear to blue.

Some people have the pressure stoves with a pump. These may need work done on the pumps or valves. I prefer the Origo stoves with the cotton filled tins.

Comment

junk ..go to propane,,,

Comment

His stove is 30 yrs old - Do those screens on top ever need replacing?

Got to say that I don't mind my stove altho it's kinda slow,,,propane would be nice too tho.

Good Luck & serve up some scrumptious vittles on that little baby!

Sarah

Comment

The alcohol stove is the safest stove you can get on a boat for two reasons. 1. The heat levels are lower and removes much of the flash point danger such as catching the curtains on fire, etc. 2. Alcohol can be put out with water.

It is a little slower to cook with, but you are on a boat and being in a hurry is not part of the panorama of sitting on the water watching the beauty of nature and relaxing. A stainless perking coffee pot on an alcohol stove makes for a delightful, long lasting perk fit for a king or queen. Enjoy the time and don't rush one of the best times of life.
                    David
                    http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                    http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

I got rid of the alcohol stove several years back but did use Methyl Hydrate for fuel. Here in Canada or at least in Quebec you cannot find denatured alcohol. I use MH in my ethanol fireplace and for fondue fuel at home. When I first got the ethanol fireplace I did as the book instructed and went with ethanol however there was this faint door in the house that really bothered me. Did some research and went with MD, no more door and 1/4 the cost. Available at large surface hardware stores or Canadian tire usually about $7 a gallon.
                      Cheers, Hans
                      2007 Carver 41 CMY
                      Twin Volvo D6-370
                      Montreal, Canada
                      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

X3 on the denatured alcohol only. Hardware store west marine sells it also under stove fuel but its the same thing as denatured alcohol but at a premium price.
                        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                        twin 454's
                        MV Mar-Y-Sol
                        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                        Twin chevy 350's inboard
                        Ben- Jamin
                        spokane Washington

Comment

Thanks for the tip on ther denatured alcy I can buy that pretty cheap at my local hardware store. The stove is a pressure pump style and on the outside looks very clean and unused. I will go through it first to clean the orifices and check the seals.

As far as slow burn time I used to backpack at 9000' +, talk about taking time to bring water to a boil. I am used to that. For boiling crabs I have a 2 burner LP camp stove I keep on board.

Comment

pugetsounder wrote:
                            Thanks for the tip on ther denatured alcy I can buy that pretty cheap at my local hardware store. The stove is a pressure pump style and on the outside looks very clean and unused. I will go through it first to clean the orifices and check the seals.

As far as slow burn time I used to backpack at 9000' +, talk about taking time to bring water to a boil. I am used to that. For boiling crabs I have a 2 burner LP camp stove I keep on board.
                            I have a presurized pump style also, looked pretty much unused. I took a stab at it a few times last year but coundlt figure the dang things out. Finally read the manual, got an AHHHhhhhh moment. Now I cant wait to cook damn food without having to fire up the genny

Comment

I loved my alcohol stove. It was a pressurized kenton stove. As long as the little bowl was heated up first they work great.

If you have never started one you need to read the directions. If if properly they work great
                              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                              twin 454's
                              MV Mar-Y-Sol
                              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                              Twin chevy 350's inboard
                              Ben- Jamin
                              spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                              X