On the HOOK-gctid392602

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the HOOK-gctid392602

Hi, I have a 2008 bayliner 245, when I anchor out my boat will swing around twice as much as any other boat out there and yes I know the 7 to 1 rule. I am using a Lemar anchor for boats up to 35 ft. Any one have a answer for this, Thank you.

Ditto with my 2452!

I am all over the place too

I don't know if your boat is like mine? Mine is tall to catch a lot of wind and I'm told that the deep V also 'enhances' my ride while at anchor,,,,,sometimes I am actually pointed in different directions from others!

Comment

Planing boats, since they have no real keel, swing a lot at anchor. Other similar boats around you will be swinging as much, but it will feel like it's all you. More chain reduces your swing.

Comment

Try making fast the anchor rode on a cleat not on the centerline of the boat. The 2452 has a set of cleats about a foot and a half to the side of the anchor gizmo. Put the line there.

Being off center makes the boat point a bit off center and a bit more wind resistance.

Or, 2 anchors set 45* to the wind (current) on the bow. Boat may yaw but will stay put.
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Are you anchoring near shore by chance?

If so, you can take a much smaller stern anchor to shore, and set it in the sand where you can monitor it.

Just always make certain that your main bow anchor has the greater holding power.
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

You may try a Bahamian Moor:

http://www.boattraining.com/waterway...ue_anchor.html

Comment

And not to sound silly but I have found here in Alaska where I do anchor that if there is a underlaying current and I do not leave the outdrive straight ahead (like turned to port or stbd) it will swing a lot more that if I do leave it ahead.
              Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I kinda like the extra swinging our boat does.....I'm constantly getting a change of scenery every few minutes without the need to move a muscle.

Comment

I anchor a zillion times a summer, it is our primary activity (great gas mileage while anchored BTW). You have to throw out a rear anchor, even 10 feet out, and the swinging comes to a stop.

Comment

You have to throw out a rear anchor, even 10 feet out, and the swinging comes to a stop.
                    I use my dink to put out the rear anchor, gives me a good reason to whip it out and play with it.

(so to speak)
                    " WET EVER "
                    1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                    mmsi 338108404
                    mmsi 338124956
                    "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

dktool wrote:
                      I use my dink to put out the rear anchor, gives me a good reason to whip it out and play with it.

(so to speak)
                      ditto

(ahem, minus the double entendre )

Comment

+ 1 to Alaskanmut... Have your drive pointing straight ahead = less swing. Someone told me that some time ago. Didn't really believe it till I tried it.
                        David
                        1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

I have a 4087 (about 42' long), swings all over the place in a strong wind, basically because it has no keel and is a light boat.

If you use a snubber, as I do, put it on a bias, i.e. one side a bit shorter than the other. With mine its helps calm the pendulum motion a bit. We had 30 knot winds recently, while on the hook, horrible, pulled up the anchor and went to a marina. Worth every penny of the $70.00 compared to $0 on the hook!

Friend of mine has a 70' Marlow, huge heavy boat, big keel, stabilizers, you name it-its got it. Even he in a strong wind will swing and with 300' of chain out you can swing a long way. He spent 4 hours last year in the middle of the night with trusters, stabilizers, all to no avail, couldn't calm the pendulum down. Eventually wind died down (Salt Spring Island on Ganges Harbor) about 3:00 am, he went to bed exhausted and determined to find a cure-he hasn't!!

Machog
                          1996 4087 Lazy Days
                          2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                          2011 Porsche Cayman
                          2010 Lexus IS 250C
                          2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Dido on being careful with the aft anchor. When I was 12 we sank a bass boat on the river when the front anchor lost its grip. We didnt know to pull the aft anchor up, and when the bow went downstream, the aft anchor pulled the back of the boat under water!

Boyce

Comment

rampeyboy wrote:
                              Dido on being careful with the aft anchor. When I was 12 we sank a bass boat on the river when the front anchor lost its grip. We didnt know to pull the aft anchor up, and when the bow went downstream, the aft anchor pulled the back of the boat under water!

Boyce
                              Good advice. You're not alone - many boats have been inadvertently scuttled by stern anchors.

Also, stern anchors stop all swing... but what about when there are neighbouring boats? You should all be swinging roughly in unison. Maybe not all yawing together but definitely tracking around the compass as the wind shears or clocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X