Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    whiskywizard wrote:
    Careful! The Loop will take you out of American waters, and Green650 says that's not safe. :right Ironically, the best parts of the loop are in Ontario's North Channel, out of American waters.

As for you bringing firearms here, it's not impossible, but for all practical purposes, Americans can't easily bring in handguns. Rifles, carbines and shotty's are fine, and the process is simple. Just don't tell Customs and Border Services that the purpose is for protection. Check on the barrel length limitations beforehand.
    My point is alot of Americans are very naive and don't know anything about the rest of the world and think the government is always going to be there to save them and that they will have some sort of recourse if something goes bad. I can say that because I am American.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    wildman wrote:
    Which brings to mind - those folks could have powered up and taken evasive at full power speed, then turn and ram the criminals if necessary.
    They were in a sailboat. If they opened up throttle, they might reach 6 knots.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Astral Blue wrote:
    In many of these areas, carrying a firearm is not an option. They don't recognize concealed weapons permits or the 2nd amendment. If you declare a firearm or are found to be in possession of one in any number of Latin American countries when you dock at customs, your weapons will be confiscated and you can face criminal charges.

There must be an alternative means of arming onself and being on a level playing field with those who wish you harm. Lasers? Caustic chemicals?
    The big ships use sound cannons (plus armed guards). They also will power up and try to swamp the rascals with their wake. Which brings to mind - those folks could have powered up and taken evasive at full power speed, then turn and ram the criminals if necessary.

I'd be tempted to hide a rifle in a hidden compartment and take my chances with the authorities. You could say you had it to shoot sharks or something and forgot about it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ksanders wrote:
    The eastern Carribean and the great loop are sounding better and better, the more research I do.
    Careful! The Loop will take you out of American waters, and Green650 says that's not safe. :right Ironically, the best parts of the loop are in Ontario's North Channel, out of American waters.

As for you bringing firearms here, it's not impossible, but for all practical purposes, Americans can't easily bring in handguns. Rifles, carbines and shotty's are fine, and the process is simple. Just don't tell Customs and Border Services that the purpose is for protection. Check on the barrel length limitations beforehand.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    I've been researching places I could cruise to. Not only on her own bottom, but via transport as well.

Allot of the cool out of the way places are flat dangerous. Compared to much of the world, anybody that has a nice boat, is really rich. Thats creates temptation.

I've pretty much figured out that for "warm" cruising places the Bahamas, USVI, Florida, places like that are going to be high on the list. Traveling to Undeveloped or underdeveloped, or semi stable countries seems like a pretty big risk.

The eastern Carribean and the great loop are sounding better and better, the more research I do.

Leave a comment:

• RGrew176
    replied
    Tony Da DJ wrote:
    Has anyone heard of any form of piracy on the great lakes or just unwanted boarders?
    There were the Lake Erie pirates a couple of seasons ago.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Astral Blue wrote:
    In many of these areas, carrying a firearm is not an option. They don't recognize concealed weapons permits or the 2nd amendment. If you declare a firearm or are found to be in possession of one in any number of Latin American countries when you dock at customs, your weapons will be confiscated and you can face criminal charges.

There must be an alternative means of arming onself and being on a level playing field with those who wish you harm. Lasers? Caustic chemicals?
    Don't go? I don't go to Mexico anymore.

Leave a comment:

replied
    LazyCrusr wrote:
    Whoa, are you saying that these peole were just whining cuz they were 'bullied'? I'd say that it goes well beyond that! Like 'assaulted, threatened and robbed'
    That should be expected in a 3rd world country. If you expect it, and are prepared, there won't be any surprises.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    biohazard wrote:
    reasons why I am always armed, home, car, boat, doesnt matter.
    Amen to that! I have my Kimber 45 with me at all times!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    reasons why I am always armed, home, car, boat, doesnt matter.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    green650 wrote:
    People like that should stay in American waters if they are going to complain when they get bullied.

Third world country = lawlessness.

I've been down there and always kept my trusty M4 on 24/7.

American consulate isn't going to do sh*t for you, well, except maybe write a little note for you to let you come back to the U.S. if your passport gets lost/stolen.
    Whoa, are you saying that these peole were just whining cuz they were 'bullied'? I'd say that it goes well beyond that! Like 'assaulted, threatened and robbed'

Leave a comment:

• iceclimber
    replied
    wildman wrote:
    Can't get much worst than having someone hold a gun to your wife's head! Steel hulled boat. An accurate rifle. A shot fired in the direction of those particular pirates would have sent them scurrying, most probably. Of course, if they come determined with rifles or automatic guns you've got to decide if you are all in, or if you are just going to put yourself at their mercy. So I would agree, to try to avoid being in a vulnerable situation. A sailboat with a cruising couple on board is pretty vulnerable.
    Unfortunately, yes.

Leave a comment:

replied
    People like that should stay in American waters if they are going to complain when they get bullied.

Third world country = lawlessness.

I've been down there and always kept my trusty M4 on 24/7.

American consulate isn't going to do sh*t for you, well, except maybe write a little note for you to let you come back to the U.S. if your passport gets lost/stolen.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    iceclimber wrote:
    For me, the first thought would be to try and avoid being placed in a vulnerable situation in a known dangerous region. Second, simply having weapons on board may make things worse. You and your crew would need serious training; which can be obtained of course.
    Can't get much worst than having someone hold a gun to your wife's head! Steel hulled boat. An accurate rifle. A shot fired in the direction of those particular pirates would have sent them scurrying, most probably. Of course, if they come determined with rifles or automatic guns you've got to decide if you are all in, or if you are just going to put yourself at their mercy. So I would agree, to try to avoid being in a vulnerable situation. A sailboat with a cruising couple on board is pretty vulnerable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X