Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates-gctid392594

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Astral Blue wrote:
    In many of these areas, carrying a firearm is not an option. They don't recognize concealed weapons permits or the 2nd amendment. If you declare a firearm or are found to be in possession of one in any number of Latin American countries when you dock at customs, your weapons will be confiscated and you can face criminal charges.

    There must be an alternative means of arming onself and being on a level playing field with those who wish you harm. Lasers? Caustic chemicals?
    Don't go? I don't go to Mexico anymore.

    Comment


      #17
      Tony Da DJ wrote:
      Has anyone heard of any form of piracy on the great lakes or just unwanted boarders?
      There were the Lake Erie pirates a couple of seasons ago.
      Rick Grew

      1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

      2004 Past Commodore
      West River Yacht & Cruising Club

      Comment


        #18
        I've been researching places I could cruise to. Not only on her own bottom, but via transport as well.

        Allot of the cool out of the way places are flat dangerous. Compared to much of the world, anybody that has a nice boat, is really rich. Thats creates temptation.

        I've pretty much figured out that for "warm" cruising places the Bahamas, USVI, Florida, places like that are going to be high on the list. Traveling to Undeveloped or underdeveloped, or semi stable countries seems like a pretty big risk.

        The eastern Carribean and the great loop are sounding better and better, the more research I do.

        KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

        Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide


        Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

        Comment


          #19
          ksanders wrote:
          The eastern Carribean and the great loop are sounding better and better, the more research I do.
          Careful! The Loop will take you out of American waters, and Green650 says that's not safe. :right Ironically, the best parts of the loop are in Ontario's North Channel, out of American waters.

          As for you bringing firearms here, it's not impossible, but for all practical purposes, Americans can't easily bring in handguns. Rifles, carbines and shotty's are fine, and the process is simple. Just don't tell Customs and Border Services that the purpose is for protection. Check on the barrel length limitations beforehand.

          Comment


            #20
            Astral Blue wrote:
            In many of these areas, carrying a firearm is not an option. They don't recognize concealed weapons permits or the 2nd amendment. If you declare a firearm or are found to be in possession of one in any number of Latin American countries when you dock at customs, your weapons will be confiscated and you can face criminal charges.

            There must be an alternative means of arming onself and being on a level playing field with those who wish you harm. Lasers? Caustic chemicals?
            The big ships use sound cannons (plus armed guards). They also will power up and try to swamp the rascals with their wake. Which brings to mind - those folks could have powered up and taken evasive at full power speed, then turn and ram the criminals if necessary.

            I'd be tempted to hide a rifle in a hidden compartment and take my chances with the authorities. You could say you had it to shoot sharks or something and forgot about it.

            Comment


              #21
              wildman wrote:
              Which brings to mind - those folks could have powered up and taken evasive at full power speed, then turn and ram the criminals if necessary.
              They were in a sailboat. If they opened up throttle, they might reach 6 knots.

              Comment


                #22
                whiskywizard wrote:
                Careful! The Loop will take you out of American waters, and Green650 says that's not safe. :right Ironically, the best parts of the loop are in Ontario's North Channel, out of American waters.

                As for you bringing firearms here, it's not impossible, but for all practical purposes, Americans can't easily bring in handguns. Rifles, carbines and shotty's are fine, and the process is simple. Just don't tell Customs and Border Services that the purpose is for protection. Check on the barrel length limitations beforehand.
                My point is alot of Americans are very naive and don't know anything about the rest of the world and think the government is always going to be there to save them and that they will have some sort of recourse if something goes bad. I can say that because I am American.

                Comment

                Working...
                X