The Walk of Shame :)-gctid392541

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Walk of Shame :)-gctid392541

Well I went and did it, I thoroughly embarrassed myself yesterday while attempting to dock my boat at Burton Island Campground.

I was given a slip in a narrow area but I should have been able to get my boat in there.

I really don't know exactly where I went wrong but instead of my boat swinging to starboard it stayed straight and instead of backing smartly into my spot I ended up stranded against a finger dock, totally unable to move and wholly dependent on the dock hands to rescue my sorry hide. Gee, even with my GF's shouting all of that contrary, 'helpful' advice I still failed miserably.

Nothing like a boat run by women, bumbling their way into a marina, botching every maneuver and clearly needing a rescue,,,,, to get a bunch of hoots & hollers and some derisive laughter from the crowd. :thumb

Boy oh boy but that did wonders for our gender!

(I hope no little girls saw me make a fool of myself)

And that friends brought on the 'walk of shame' cuz now amid all of the smirks, now I had to walk by all of those boats on my way to the office to pay for my piece of humble pie. First botched docking in almost a year and it happened in front of 50 people

Sarah...is the boat still afloat,anyone hurt? If not, FORGETABOUTIT! I've had my share of "Humbling Moments" at marinas,no harm except to my pride and a scrape on the boat.

Comment

FISHIN00 wrote:
      Sarah...is the boat still afloat,anyone hurt? If not, FORGETABOUTIT! I've had my share of "Humbling Moments" at marinas,no harm except to my pride and a scrape on the boat.
      Yes, all well in that regard

But I must have re-looked at that scenario 35x afterwards and I still dunno what I did,,,,,it was like my boat was controlled by someone else

UGH,,,,,,,

Comment

There is nothing more opportunistic or timely than the appearance of the "Docking Committee" to judge your every move.:arr
        David
        http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
        http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Sarah we have all done that and more than once. As long as there is no damage its a good docking.

Ken
          300SD all options sold.

Comment

Hey, welcome to the club. I hit my first boat this weekend, right in front of a resort with the boat's owner watching. I thought I would look like I had it together, wind blew up and blew us forward and my pulpit was literally in someone's seating area. There was just a little contact and luckily this other Captain was a good egg and ex Navy pilot. So, we became friends ! I know it sucks Sarah, but those chumps hooting are just that and they can go pound sand. People should help, not hoot.

Comment

http://www.ruddersafe.no/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg7dgNYKAFo

Comment

Don't worry about the bad docking everyone has those kind of days... Burton Island is my favorite spot on Champlain, our group 5 boats spent 3 days there on our last trip to the bigger pond....

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
                  Yes, all well in that regard

But I must have re-looked at that scenario 35x afterwards and I still dunno what I did,,,,,it was like my boat was controlled by someone else

UGH,,,,,,,
                  could have been a good under tow in the marina.. its grabbed our boat a few times trying to get in the finger or into the harbor.. swung us all over.. but the Capt has made the 180 degree turn into our stall with ease.. I wont try that yet... but I can back out well now...

Sara.. blame the wind and under tow..lol

Comment

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt

We have all done that more than once in our boating careers.

My question is how come when you make a great job of docking in the worse kind of situation, nobody is watching. However when you botch one the dock is full of boneheads watching rather than helping.

Steve

Comment

Murphy's law. The chances of something going wrong is directly proportional to the amount of people watching. Don't sweat it, we all have our moments, I still do by far and I have a much smaller and easier to dock boat.

Comment

Sarah, I can't believe you did that. Just kidding

Everyone has one of those moments, if they are lucky only one. We have all had them and like the tree falling in the forest, if nobody is there to see it, it just didn't happen.

I don't know if I told you about mine but if not. We had a sail boat, 35 Ericson. We were restoring her and decided to go out and motor around. It was a Saturday and the marina was full as was the restaurant and bar that over looked the marina and through a big plate glass window my slip. Everything went fine, we were headed back in, feeling proud and waving to those on the dock. Went to make the turn into the slip, all still going fine and then kicked her into reverse and gave her a little throttle. Well instead of stopping I drove the boat right up onto the dock. The rake of the bow was perfect to slide the boat right up onto the dock and it stuck there. The bow was at least 20 feet in the air. I couldn't budge it off and I was drawing a big audience from the dock and the bar. Finally had to winch the boat off the dock. The laughter that I could hear all around me as eating at me like nobodies business. This escalated when I went into the bar. Not only from the people I knew but for strangers. This went on for almost 3 months until something else happened that took their attention.

What went wrong was the shift cable had broken, so when I shifted into reverse the transmission actually was still in forward. So when I gave her gas to stop her I was actually powering the boat up onto the dock. No one cared about the mechanical failure, Oh no! All I heard about was how I had rammed the dock and stuck my boat on it.

So bottom line, we all have those moments and I can tell you that it is Murphey's law that it must be done in front of the largest crowd possible.

Think of it as earning your place among the many others who have paid their dues and chocked it up to another learning episode in the rode to being that captain that everyone thinks is so great and that has never had a problem.

One thing though, when you walk that dock after having a problem, put your head high because the difference between a professional and newbie is not freaking out and handling the problem and getting your boat and passengers safely to the dock. Show me someone who has never had a problem and I will show you someone who has never run a boat.
                        Patrick and Patti
                        4588 Pilothouse 1991
                        12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                        M/V "Paloma"
                        MMSI # 338142921

Comment

iceclimber wrote:
                          but those chumps hooting are just that and they can go pound sand. People should help, not hoot.
                          Exactly! There are so many factors that take over everyone's ability to pull into a crowded slip. It's not a car. You can't just come to a complete stop, back up, and do it over. Yet everyone standing around instead of offering to help - they are the ones that should have been ashamed - not you.

Comment

We've all been there and done that at one time or another. He/she who laughs last laughs best. I am sure that most of them had been in your shoes at one time or another. Sometimes we just have to eat humble pie and move on. Good thing is, no one was hurt.
                            Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                            West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                            www.wrycc.com

Comment

I have done it many, many times. Sometimes it is when i do everything exactly the same in exactly the same conditions and it just goes wrong? I can't even count how many times I have ended up perfectly perpendicular to the dock and three feet away. Just keep laughing at it and it will all be OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X