Altitude vs. Sea Level Power Changes-gctid392181

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altitude vs. Sea Level Power Changes-gctid392181

Well, after running the Patrevan in the lakes near Calgary, I got my first opportunity to run in the big water today, near Comox (Georgia Strait, BC). I have to say how surprised(pleasingly) I was about the increased performance. About the best she'd do in the elevated lakes west of Calgary (about 3500 asl) was 35 mph. Today, she achieved 42 (GPS/Chartplotter). While I always knew the elevation had an impact on performance, I never thought it would be this significant, particularly considering it is fuel injected.
    Mike & Dixi
    2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
    Closed Cooling

The rule of thumb I have always heard was deduct 6% per 1000' elevation from your horsepower

Comment

I always get a kick of how badly my boat warms up on Lake Minnewanka, the choke takes a good 15-20 to warm up and even then you don't have the power as you do at sea level. Thats a good 2000ft drop; I also watch how much my fenders deflate as well, lol.

Comment

I was wondering if there was such a formula. Truthfully, I might have called BS, had I not personally experienced this. I have been all over the continent on my fuel injected Gold Wing and can't say I ever really noticed any appreciable performance difference. On the boat, I feel it come up on plane easier and across the power band. Makes me wonder if it will do anything for the fuel consumption. :greedy_dollars:
        Mike & Dixi
        2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
        Closed Cooling

Comment

Working...
        X