2556 Trim Tabs-gctid392107

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2556 Trim Tabs-gctid392107

I was recently informed that most of the 2556 model boats came out with trim tabs that were undersized. I currently have 12x12 trim tabs on my boat, but I am wondering if other 2556 owners have changed their trim tabs out? If so what size did you go to? Was there any noticable benefit?

Thanks

Cody

I can not comment on your boat but i think or boats and tab sizes are very close so I'll throw in my 2 cents I have a 1989 2755 that had 8x12 tabs (you think yours are undersized) other members don't have any issues with this size but i never felt they were right for my taste so I installed 12x14 the company I dealt with suggested bigger but with the integrated swim platform and how the OEM actuators mounted in the pockets on the transom I was limited. What a difference the bow comes down (planes out) without laying on the throttle and in a very short distance I can also cruise at a slower speed and keep the bow down I bought the brand that has the side tabs those made quit a difference in bow wander at slow spds its like driving a totally different boat. I did have to make some adapters to mount the actuators because of going other than OEM but no real big deal.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/695824=28857-boat guides.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/695824=28858-left transom.jpg[/img]

Comment

Or to keep the nose way down in a heavy chop. I've never thought I needed more tab on my 2556. Mine are the 12x12 with drop fins.

My hole shot is quick and smooth.

Your mileage may vary, especially if you have the 350/Alpha package, or an earlier than 90.

For balance, a quick punch of the tab results in an immediate and noticable change in trim.
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

My belief is that TT planes need to be larger, rather than smaller. If the TT planes are too small, we don't get the lift needed.

The "Sport Tabs" incorporate the skegs, and skegs will make a big difference.

So......., either change to planes with a larger span........

........... or try changing to planes that incorporate the skegs.

I'm sure that Tom with Bennett will chime in. He's our TT Guru!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

codybeee wrote:
          I was recently informed that most of the 2556 model boats came out with trim tabs that were undersized. I currently have 12x12 trim tabs on my boat, but I am wondering if other 2556 owners have changed their trim tabs out? If so what size did you go to? Was there any noticable benefit?

Thanks

Cody
          p

We put 12x30s on ours. I like them. We now can cruise at around 10 to15 mph. Not as efficient as our most economical fast

Cruise at 3800 rpm but it does allow much slower planing speeds with reasonable efficiency. Anyway, I like a relaxed pace but not too relaxed. Hull speed wandering can make me a little crazy...especialy if a sailboat passes me. 10 to 15 feels right.

Note.....if you go much bigger than what youve got, be warned that you must shim. Our transoms are angled. Put a straight edge over where your tab is attached and youll see what i mean.

Comment

Thank you for the input.

Cody

Comment

Cody, I have an album in my profile with pictures of my new trim tabs on my 2556, check it out. They did require shimming, as the stern of the 2556 is not flat, as well as re-centering the actuators. I am *very* pleased with the results: slower planing if needed, better hole shot - especialy when fully loaded (prior to the new tabs I thought my hole-shot was fine), fuel economy and speed (especially under loaded conditions).

The factory 12" tabs are fine for making list adjustments due to uneven weight distribution but they don't have enough the surface area to help much in the fore-aft attitude - especially if you are loaded, which is very easy to do with these heavy boats.

One of the best, and probably cheapest, impovements to performance you can make to the 2556, IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X