Batteries-gctid346680

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batteries-gctid346680

Hey again. Ive found out that the batteries (had two) that were on the boat are not staying. anybody help me out on on what brand and should i need more than two. Is a marine the same as a deep cycle- lookin for the a good combo... No high end audio, just wanting to run the radio and lights and still b able to motor back to the marina in the morning.

I have one starting battery and one deep cycle battery. Switch to the deep cycle while on the hook for powering radio and lights, switch back to the starting when you want to motor back to the dock. The deep cycle is designed to be charged and used while on the hook and charged again.

Comment

Thank you sir... brands dont really matter?

Comment

you're welcome. the thing with brands, some batteries are exactly the same just branded under different names. Basically the battery is made at the same company and sold under a different name. I bought my starting battery at napa and my deep cycle at sears. Maybe some more people will chime in on brands and such. So far has worked out well for me.

Comment

If you want to keep it simple, Walmart stocks Type 27,29 & 31 12V deep cycle batteries at very good prices.

The picture below is a type 27 rated for 120Ah. I have 5 of these on our 2859 and am very happy with them. My start battery is the same as the house bank and it cranks a 7.4L no problem.

Comment

There will be a difference in construction between a True Deep Cycle and a Cranking Battery.

IMO, there is no good combination.... Deep Cycle -slash- Start battery.

I would want a dedicated Cranking or Starting battery on my MBSS #1 terminal.

I would also want a single or multiple true Deep Cycle(s) on my MBSS #2 terminal.

You'd crank and start on #1 and then while anchored and using your radio , you'd be on #2, leaving #1 in reserve.

Many of us have gone to the 6 volt Deep Cycle Golf Cart batteries (paired and in series = 12 volts), for our HLBB (house load batt bank).

This is an option for you if you have space for two # 2 bank batteries.

Do not mix age, type, brand, group number, etc within one battery bank.
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

As far as house batteries go, Walmart sells Everstart group 29 batteries for $75 each. They have worked well for me, have been extremely reliable, and have been one heck of a deal. I haven't seen prices this low for a group 29 battery anywhere! I have two of them as starting batteries and three of them as house batteries.

Comment

I replaced all my batteries last fall and if I recall there are only 3 manufacturers of batteries out there. Lots of rebranding. Get a beefy cranking battery and as much house bank as you can handle. Never too much.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                  As far as house batteries go, Walmart sells Everstart group 29 batteries for $75 each. They have worked well for me, have been extremely reliable, and have been one heck of a deal. I haven't seen prices this low for a group 29 battery anywhere! I have two of them as starting batteries and three of them as house batteries.
                  Again, we want the correct battery type for our #1 cranking/start bank, and we want the correct battery type for our #2 HLBB.

The construction and intended usage is considerably different between these two.

Why not buy the correct batteries for the type of usage????

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                    Again, we want the correct battery type for our #1 cranking/start bank, and we want the correct battery type for our #2 HLBB.

The construction and intended usage is considerably different between these two.

Why not buy the correct batteries for the type of usage????

I've used the original 2 batteries that came new with my 2855 - both were "deep cycle" 29's. Worked fine - replaced after 3 years - no issues with starting on one using second for anchoring. 2nd and 3rd sets were the Walmart Everstart "Deep Cycle" 29's (mfg'ed by Johnson Controls) repaced after 3 years. Again no issues at all using either for starting/house. Current set is Costco brand deep cycle marine - these sometimes need both batteries to effectively start in colder conditions. I will switch back to Walmart Everstarts. I understand the start vs house battery deal and I expect that under differing circumstances that makes sense. For me and the way I use my boat using 2 deep cycle batteries works well and eliminates the need to do the switching deal.

Comment

I've used the big Wal-mart yellow marine battery on a few boats. I'd never buy something else if I had the choice. In the past I had a boat that came with Interstate batteries, which are nearly double the price. When one failed on a Saturday, less than a year old, no Interstate dealer was willing to do a warranty swap on Saturday. So I went to Walmart and got theirs, which you can swap 24/7 anywhere in the country.

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                        There will be a difference in construction between a True Deep Cycle and a Cranking Battery.

IMO, there is no good combination.... Deep Cycle -slash- Start battery.

I would want a dedicated Cranking or Starting battery on my MBSS #1 terminal.

I would also want a single or multiple true Deep Cycle(s) on my MBSS #2 terminal.

You'd crank and start on #1 and then while anchored and using your radio , you'd be on #2, leaving #1 in reserve.

Many of us have gone to the 6 volt Deep Cycle Golf Cart batteries (paired and in series = 12 volts), for our HLBB (house load batt bank).

This is an option for you if you have space for two # 2 bank batteries.

Do not mix age, type, brand, group number, etc within one battery bank.
                        A deep cycle battery has larger, thicker plates and a few other differences. Starting batteries have thinner plates and generally can't take a fast charge as well or heavy current draws for long periods of time. They are lighter and designed for short periods of high current draw.

If it has the cranking rating you can easily use a deep cycle battery for starting but you can't use a starting battery for deep cycle applications as it will fail quickly.

I always suggest people go to a commercial battery supplier, someone who sells things like fork lift batteries and golf cart batteries. Their pricing is usually better. As to brands, there is a difference but it is also easy to overpay for something in a marine store.

Comment

captjmh wrote:
                          1.... 2nd and 3rd sets were the Walmart Everstart "Deep Cycle" 29's (mfg'ed by Johnson Controls) repaced after 3 years.

Again no issues at all using either for starting/house. Current set is Costco brand deep cycle marine - these sometimes need both batteries to effectively start in colder conditions.

2.... I will switch back to Walmart Everstarts. I understand the start vs house battery deal and I expect that under differing circumstances that makes sense.

3.... For me and the way I use my boat using 2 deep cycle batteries works well and eliminates the need to do the switching deal.
                          1..... Most that say Marine Deep Cycle Starting battery, are not true Deep Cycle batteires. Therefor these are not best suited for our HLBBs, and if these must be combined for starting when cold, then they may not be an actual starting battery either.

Something is preventing you from getting more than three years from them!

2... Agreed.... it does make sense because each type is constructed differently.

3... Just curious, but if you aren't switching, either manually or automatically, then how are you holding Bank #1 in reserve?
                          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                            1..... Most that say Marine Deep Cycle Starting battery, are not true Deep Cycle batteires. Therefor these are not best suited for our HLBBs, and if these must be combined for starting when cold, then they may not be an actual starting battery either.

Something is preventing you from getting more than three years from them!

2... Agreed.... it does make sense because each type is constructed differently.

3... Just curious, but if you aren't switching, either manually or automatically, then how are you holding Bank #1 in reserve?
                            1) I just change batteries every 3 years as a low cost fail-safe against issues on the "pond"! I never want to run out of gas, and I never want to run out of amps!

2) I don't anchor out overnight - there just are no places to do that on my side of Lake Michigan so long term use of a house battery never comes up.

3) It doesn't matter whether I am running on battery 1 or 2 at any given time. I always have one battery fully charged in reserve to start the engine since my battery charger is always charging both batts. If I am doing more than just running around, I'll run battery 1, anchor for the afternoon on battery 2 then start on battery 2 if it's got the amps and run home on that. If it doesn't have the amps - I'll switch to 1.

I think in the case of the batteries I buy, they are indeed hybred start/deep cycle batteries.

Comment

To each their own. When I ordered my 3055 in 1999 it came with 2 batteries. I had the dealer install 2 additional batteries. The initial set was 1 cranking and 3 deep cycle. It worked OK. When I had to replace the batteries I went with 4 deep cycle marine batteries, Sears DieHards. The last set of batteries were installed in June or July of 2006. They were still working fine when I sold the boat in August of 2011.

I spent a lot of weekends on the hook so having 4 deep cycle batteries I never worried about running out of power. A couple of times I spent 5 days on the hook and the batteries held up fine. I never had any problems starting the boat without a dedicated "starting" battery. Each spring when I first started the boat it cranked and started fine.

Others may have had different experiences. Once I purchased my Honda EU2000i portable genny whenever I ran something that needed 110 I would also run the battery charger to put some power back in the batteries. Never failed to crank.
                              Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                              West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                              www.wrycc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X