Rotella T 15w 40-gctid391604

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotella T 15w 40-gctid391604

I have been using Mobil 1 15w 50 in my boats forever however it seems impossible to find any where locally in Canada now a days. I can easily get Rotella T 15w 40 which has been recommended on several sites for Mercruiser engines. I know it is not synthetic oil but I do change about every 50-60 hrs so I guess it should be more than fine. Any comments on using Rotella T? Link to oil. http://www.shell.com/home/content/ro...ducts/tpl_pro/
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

I use it in my Dodge Ram. 150K miles and never a problem. I change every 3000 miles.
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I use Rotella also... Good stuff. Many local car/truck dealerships use it as well. I saw 55 gallon drums of it behind the Ford dealer this past Tuesday.
      Doug ;}
      MMSI: 338068776
      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, just picked up the Rotella.
        Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I use the 15W40 Rotella T in all my diesel engines, marine and ashore. I buy the 20L pails. Walmart's regular retail price is better, but Canadian Tire's price is better if you catch a sale.

On the boat, I analyze the 3 engines annually and change when the lab says I'm getting close. The land-based equipment gets changed annually - I will start analyzing this year.

Comment

Heck, full price was $25 at CDN Tire for the T triple protection 15w 40 in a 5L jug. Cheap stuff.
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

my dad used rotella for decades in all our cars and his semi trucks. I still use it today in most of my cars, except my civic. Good stuff, np finding it around here

Comment

One thing to remember when switching oils....Is your new oil a higher detergent than your past oils. Our company switched to a higher detergent oil recently. We were finding out than it was REALLY cleaning the engines out, and plugging the oil filters, causing the oil to bypass the filters. When you notice your oil pressure dropping and engine temp running a bit higher than normal,your filter is getting clogged, usually takes a couple of filter changes to solve the issue.

Comment

How do you fellas think it would run in a gas engine ?

Comment

Great oil for my Diesel but never ran it in a gasser!

Comment

No problem in gas engines and in fact is commonly used in the motorcycle world. This oil is designed for both gas and diesel applications. http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdprojec...shell_t_us.pdf
                      Cheers, Hans
                      2007 Carver 41 CMY
                      Twin Volvo D6-370
                      Montreal, Canada
                      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Interesting, thanks for that. Oddly I was just staring at that product yesterday in Wally World. They have it cheap.

Comment

Look at the specs, some versions of both Rotella and Delo are specified for both gas and diesel. I use Chevron Delo 400 straight weight. Rotella would be fine, you can use straight 30 or 40 or even the 15w/40. I think that Crusader now recommends the 15w/40 in its gas inboards so that should be fine. Only time I'd stick with the Merc oil is if I had new engine under warrantee.
                          88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                          98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
                          X