Strong Gasoline/Fuel Smell in Aft Cabin-gctid759067

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strong Gasoline/Fuel Smell in Aft Cabin-gctid759067

Recently Purchased a '82 Bayliner Bodga 40.

Had both Mechanical & Structural surveys conducted.

Both surveyers noted the strong gas odor, but were not able to determine the actual leak source.

A number of things to note:

Boat is powered by twin Crusader 350's

They are Carborated

Level of gas odor in Engine room seems appropriate

Aft Cabin gas odor is very strong

Items such as matress, shetts etc., in after cabin smell very much of gas

There is no presence of fuel in the bilge

Mechanical Surveyer noted that the fuel lines under "cabin bed" were brand new and that a new Racor Fuel Filter had been installed; the other was original

There is no Oil Spill Cleanup Kit/Supplies on board.

I cannot imagine sleeping on board until this problem is resolved.

Help in solving this problem - hopefully without disassembling of cabin - would be greatly appreciated.

Bodega Bob

Check out your gas tanks, you might have a leak, aluminum tanks will corrode from the outside if in moist areas.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Pressure test the fuel tanks
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"Both surveyors noted the strong gas odor, but were not able to determine the actual leak source."

You bought a boat knowing there was a problem with a gas leak? Like Chief said have the tanks pressure tested, and do not start the boat or use any thing electrical until this is fixed.
        1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
        5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Pressure testing my tanks lines up with my other source suggestions. What is your take on the new fuel lines and filter?

Comment

So many threads on here have talked about the plugged fuel tank vents. If your boat sits in the hot sun every day it is going to build up a lot of pressure. Set a sealed 5 gallon gas can in the sun for 10 minutes and then take the cap off . I've seen on occasion a boater who tops their tanks off and in a hour with the hot sun and fuel expanding it is burping gas out of the vents. I'd do the easy one and start there first. You most likely have a simple hose clamp connecting the vent line hose to the tank and the bulkhead vent fitting. Over time they can become a nuisance leak. Take the hose off at the tank and blow on it. Recently my whole cabin started smelling like sewer :sick: especially in the aft cabin because my bulkhead vent fitting was plugged.
            Dan
            Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
            Claudia V. III
            1988 - 3218
            Gas Drives

Comment

There is no appropriate level of gas odor in the engine room; the level should be zero.

Whatever you do, do not use the boat in the condition it is in. While the electrical components in the engine room are supposed to be ignition protected, there's always a chance of a spark. Moreover, electrical components in the interior of a boat are not ignition protected. So fumes in the cabin are a a safety hazard.

Hopefully the fuel lines are the problem; don't forger the fill line and the vent line.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

a good friend of mine just got his boat back 8 weeks and 12k later after turning the bilge blowers on and turning the ignition key at the gas dock.......it does happen

He was damn lucky to have a mechanic at the dock and fire extinguishers readily available.
                Dan
                Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
                Claudia V. III
                1988 - 3218
                Gas Drives

Comment

Working...
                X