First week of ownership Bayliner 288, lots of questions!!-gctid756605

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First week of ownership Bayliner 288, lots of questions!!-gctid756605

Ok so i have had the 288 for a week now, got it home after that huge journey of 360 miles although typically I am finding minor problems which the surveyor has missed, so wondering if you can help out.

On the trip back i noticed the engine would not rev past 2900RPM and also had a top speed of 22knots which i thought was low, after some testing at home, turns out it wont rev past that either in IDLE with no gear engaged, so looks like some kind of throttle cable problem i suspect?

I also noticed my once clean bilge area is now covered in dirty oil, it looks like the marine garage has spilt oil down there while servicing it and not bothered to clean it, so now its made a right bloody mess, seems to be no fresh oil but its caked onto everything now with the water sloshing about. What is the best way for me to clean up my bilge area?

That leads me to my next question the water in there is SALT water, looking at the transom it seems to be coming from in the middle of it, as if you poke your fingers in there you can feel it and i can also see a negligible dribble. Should i be concerned with this?

Finally what is the deal with the isolation switches and running on shore power, i have no idea if my bilges are automatic, do i turn the battery isolation switch to off and leave on shore power, or do i leave the batteries with the charger on all the time, what is the correct way to do it? As i note when i put the isolation switch to OFF, the bilge pumps do not work at all by the switch in the cabin, does this mean they will not work at all?

Sorry for all the questions!

Craig

Craig,

I also have a 288.

Not qualified to answer all of your questions, but lets start with the bilge pump. Bilge pump should have a float on it. With batteries turned off, you should be able to lift the float and activate the pump...thus simulating water in the bilge. If it does not come on , you can trace the pump wires ....hook directly to battery to see if bilge is in working order. If in doubt , I would buy a new one and get it working asap. Inexpensive and easy install.....and you'll sleep better knowing you have some protection. Also, better having more than one bilge pump. Once boat is secure you can address other issues.....which could be serious.

When on shore power, I leave battery selector switch off.....but leave the automatic charger on..

I know its a bit discouraging to have problems with your new boat....but the 288 is a great design [ we love ours ] and will be worth the effort to fix-er-up.

Good luck with repair.

Be safe.

Comment

"That leads me to my next question the water in there is SALT water, looking at the transom it seems to be coming from in the middle of it, as if you poke your fingers in there you can feel it and i can also see a negligible dribble. Should i be concerned with this?"

You should be! Especially if it's the upper square shaft leaking.
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

Working...
      X