Battery operation-gctid390778

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery operation-gctid390778

I've heard when plugged into shore power I should have my battery on 1 then I've heard it should be on All.

Could someone clarify what positionit should be and why.

Thanks

#1 is typically a cranking bank. This should be held in reserve for cranking only.

#2 is typically a HLBB (house load battery bank) of one or more Deep Cycle batteries. This bank is intended to be used while on the hook or at dock side.

Your O/B charger should be a 2 bank smart charger.

One charge lead to each battery bank, and preferably connected to the rear of the MBSS #1 and #2 terminals (not directly to batteries).

The charger will supply current in a full charge, absorption charge, and in a float or maintenance mode to either bank.

If the chager is on, and if you are using bank #2, the charger may or may not keep up with the load demand.

None-the-less, this would be the correct bank to use while at dock side, and while on S/P with the Charger operating.

While you are away, the charger will top off the HLBB, then will go into float or maintenance mode, and all batteries will be happy.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the info, here's my issues....the O/B chargers light was red. I checked my shore line and that was working fine cause my 120v outlet was working fine and the breaker for the charger was on. So could the batteries be so shot it won't charge?

Comment

I'm not sure if I saw an answer ont he switch position 2850Bounty? I responded to this issue another thread; someone told me once never to charge with the batteries in the all position, but I don't know it that's based on fact. I thought that you needed a battery combiner to charge both batteries at once with a single switch that has an "all" setting? Anyway, that's just my take. I find it odd that both batteries would go at the same time.

Comment

There is a reason why our boats come with chargers that have separate positive leads for each battery. There is no need to be on shorepower and have the switch set to 'both' or all.

The only time I would set the switch to both is if neither battery by itself had the power to start the engine.

Comment

tank1023 wrote:
            I've heard when plugged into shore power I should have my battery on 1 then I've heard it should be on All.

Could someone clarify what positionit should be and why.

Thanks
            It depends on how your battery charger is wired. If wired to a master switch, then it will charge the bank selected. This in not my preferred option. On my boat, I have a 3 bank charger directly wired to all batteries, this way when the charger is on, all batteries are charged. No need to worry or forget which way you left the switch.

Gary

Comment

garball wrote:
              It depends on how your battery charger is wired. If wired to a master switch, then it will charge the bank selected. This in not my preferred option. On my boat, I have a 3 bank charger directly wired to all batteries, this way when the charger is on, all batteries are charged. No need to worry or forget which way you left the switch.

Gary
              His charger has 2 separate positive leads, one for each battery. Unless it was installed wrong, there is no need to run "both", and some very good reasons why this is a bad practice. That "both" setting is to get you out of a jam.

Comment

regaring battery position swith...I was told when I bought the boat new that to charge both batteries when at dockside it should be set on one OR two, but NOT both. When underway, the engines alternator will charge whatever it is set on. Ie. battery 1 or battery 2 or both.

I know it's a bit convoluted and I can't explain why it is that way.

Comment

tank1023 wrote:
                  Thanks for the info, here's my issues....the O/B chargers light was red. I checked my shore line and that was working fine cause my 120v outlet was working fine and the breaker for the charger was on. So could the batteries be so shot it won't charge?
                  With the MBSS in the OFF position, take a volt reading at each battery bank without the charger operating.

Now take the same two readings with the charger operating.

This will let you know if the charger output is functioning.

iceclimber wrote:
                  I'm not sure if I saw an answer ont he switch position 2850Bounty? I responded to this issue another thread; someone told me once never to charge with the batteries in the all position, but I don't know it that's based on fact. I thought that you needed a battery combiner to charge both batteries at once with a single switch that has an "all" setting? Anyway, that's just my take. I find it odd that both batteries would go at the same time.
                  Tough question to address without more info re; the type of charger and info re; installation.

If a 2 Bank Charger is used, that would be correct.

I would not charge while the MBSS is set to ALL/BOTH. This "combines" battery banks, and a 2 bank charger does not require the banks to be combined.

Each charge lead will be isolated from one another, will sense each battery bank voltage independantly, and will predicate the charge rate accordingly.

If we "combine" while charging, we deprive the charger of this individual sensing.

garball wrote:

Gary
                  With properly connected charger leads (using the rear of the MBSS) the charge circuit will be complete regardless of which bank is selected.

Most will leave the MBSS set to OFF while the boat is unattended and the banks are being charged.

If you are on board, and with S/P and charger ON......, then you'd "select" your HLBB, or typically #2 bank.

At the same time, #1 bank also receives a charge .... yet it is not currently being "selected".

For anyone with an MBSS, 2 battery banks, and with a 2 bank charger, the layout shown in this first image works very well, and keeps our systems simple.

Note where the O/B Charger leads connect!

The Charger is permanently connected to each battery bank..... and without any "Rat's Nest" rod resulting from direct battery connections!

The MBSS DOES NOT need to make either battery selection for charging to occur.

If can be OFF, or it can be selecting #1 or #2.

(Avoid ALL/BOTH)

The second image has the schematic lines removed so that you can alter this image, and post back for comments.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img] http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Seaquel wrote:
                    regaring battery position swith...I was told when I bought the boat new that to charge both batteries when at dockside it should be set on one OR two, but NOT both. When underway, the engines alternator will charge whatever it is set on. Ie. battery 1 or battery 2 or both.

I know it's a bit convoluted and I can't explain why it is that way.
                    Ralph, for a conventional system using an MBSS, I'd say that would be correct, but with one exception. You DO NOT need to have your MBSS set to any battery bank.

With a charger that is connected correctly, it should not matter which bank the MBSS is selecting, or where it is set......., other than avoiding ALL/BOTH while charging.

When underway, and using the engine alternator, now it does matter which bank is selected, since the source is coming from another direction.

Ralph, this is not aimed at you, but is rather a general statement.

When you look at our typical battery bank arrangements, there is absolutely no reason to make any direct battery connections other than battery cables themselves.

We have a perfect loaction for O/B Charger leads right at the rear of our MBSS terminals #1 and #2.

This is schematically identical to a direct battery connection, but avoids not only the "Rat's Nest" potential, but avoids any small terminal corrosion, and avoids any confusion during R&R of batteries.

IOW, ideally we'll see only Pos and Neg main battery cable at our batteries.

(a few exceptions may be leads for a battery monitoring system, etc.)

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick, I without a second thought untill this thread I just assumed the charger leads to the switch were controlled by the switch????

Of course there not, its a direct connections to each bank. Thanks for clearing that up.ops

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/694526=28684-imagesCAK4O193.jpg[/img]

Comment

Prairie Puffin wrote:
                        Rick, I without a second thought untill this thread I just assumed the charger leads to the switch were controlled by the switch????

Of course there not, its a direct connections to each bank. Thanks for clearing that up. ops
                        It can be confusing since the two sources (alternator -vs- O/B Charger) come from entirely different directions.

IOW, we get to "select" the direction of the alternator charge, but the O/B Charger is fixed.

Fact is..... it would be impossible to arrange a 2 bank O/B Charger so that it could use a single MBSS for charge direction in a 2 battery bank scenario, and yet keep the two charge leads isolated from one another.

For some people, the charger leads being directly connected to each battery bank is easier to understand, but it is certainly not what I'd recommend doing. :thumb

Perhaps you can help me keep that light bulb shinning, OK?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Can any damage be done be moving the selector switch while under way?

Starting on position one and switching to battery two?
                          Ted G
                          The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                          Designers Edition
                          Mercury 350 Mag
                          290 Volvo DP

Comment

nwboater62 wrote:
                            Can any damage be done be moving the selector switch while under way?

Starting on position one and switching to battery two?
                            NO.... these are "Make-Before-Break" contacts, and have been for years.

Switching TO or THROUGH OFF would be an issue, regarding alternator field circuits.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                              Ralph, for a conventional system using an MBSS, I'd say that would be correct, but with one exception. You DO NOT need to have your MBSS set to any battery bank.

With a charger that is connected correctly, it should not matter which bank the MBSS is selecting, or where it is set......., other than avoiding ALL/BOTH while charging.

When underway, and using the engine alternator, now it does matter which bank is selected, since the source is coming from another direction.

Ralph, this is not aimed at you, but is rather a general statement.

When you look at our typical battery bank arrangements, there is absolutely no reason to make any direct battery connections other than battery cables themselves.

We have a perfect loaction for O/B Charger leads right at the rear of our MBSS terminals #1 and #2.

This is schematically identical to a direct battery connection, but avoids not only the "Rat's Nest" potential, but avoids any small terminal corrosion, and avoids any confusion during R&R of batteries.

IOW, ideally we'll see only Pos and Neg main battery cable at our batteries.

(a few exceptions may be leads for a battery monitoring system, etc.)

tthanks Rick, this goes along with what I've always been told. And yes I suppose I knew that the charger would charge batteries even with the switch set to off, although I seldom make use of the off position

Comment

Working...
                              X