Marine Traffic app-gctid390699

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine Traffic app-gctid390699

There's an app for the smartphones and tablets called Marine Traffic. It's pretty cool. See where the big ships are, etc. But I also see some smaller boats (private vessels or "pleasure crafts") on there. My question is, how do you get on there? Not that I'd necessarily want to, but I bet my dad would think it would be cool, to monitor me from his phone. I see that it lists the vessel's MMSI number. I do have my MMSI# in my radio and also my radio hooked up to the chartplotter, and I get the NMEA reading on the radio, so I think its working.

So I just wonder what it takes to get your vessel listed on that app. Anyone know?

John
    2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
    Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
    Bravo II drives
    Closed-cooling

You need an AIS transponder. Marine Traffic shows vessels with transponders.

Comment

gotcha. thanks for the info.
      2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
      Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
      Bravo II drives
      Closed-cooling

Comment

There is another app called iAiS that will give you a number that shows up on marine traffic...it's not a true transponder....but it will do what you want to do.... ( and it's free for android)

I think it's wrote by the same company that did marine traffic....

Mike

Comment

we both have Smart Phones, one is AT&T and mine is from ACS a state carrier here... the issue we have with getting the marine apps on our is, once we hit the end of marmian island.. BOTH our phone are dead for anything.. from where we are docked to Marmian island is an hours time running at 9knots... we cant even get roaming after that.. (end of Gastineau Channel) guess its the joys of living in Alaska.. limited everything

Comment

Working...
          X