bow hatch leak-gctid390403

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bow hatch leak-gctid390403

guys last year after pulling the boat for the season . on the way home while trailering my bow hatch leaked ( it was raining) and i developed a stain around top (toward winshield side) of 1 side of bow hatch . it was wet after the tow and stained aftre that . we covered for winter stain was no worse . put in boat 2 weeks ago have had little rain and the hatche has leaked and stained around entire top bothsides getting worse. I inspected carefully i can see nowhere any sighn of failed seal or around hatch to bow itself. the hatch is in fine condition. what do you recommend? pull hatch and reinstall with some 4000, also how can i remove the stain from my otherwise perfect ceiling?

Dont know if this will help, but this Spring, on my hatch, I noticed a leak from the inside screw on one of the inside handles. It was dripping right after it rained; I tightened it a bit and that seemed to help.

Someone told me they remove the screws every few years, squirt some silicone grease into the threads and reinstall the screw. Ill probably do that.

Another thing I noticed is a slight green tinge around were the glass meets the frame, either its water slowly getting in via cappilary action, or maybe just from when the hatch sweats (?) in muggy weather . So Im going to watch that also.

BTW - its a Jim Black hatch, and for what its worth, the pop-in screen that comes with it is a cheap piece of junk. Screen keeps popping out of the frame and I have to keep prying it back in with the piping. Heard running some clear nail poish over it should glue it in place. My wifes going to be missing a bottle soon...

Joey
    2007 Discovery 246
    5.0L MPI BRAVO III
    The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

joey, thanks . i will try the screw treatment . Ultimatley i see myself reinstalling this hatch. suks. Id love to get a new one that isnt yellow . any suggestions for an upgrade? mybe with a built in blind!

Comment

I ended up replacing the plastic hatch with a metal, low profile bomar. No cuts, it was an R&R. 3m4000 and a clean up. Love how it makes the boat look modern.

I've had good success with Tide Stick on my monkey fur. I haven't had to do a large area, though.

I used a 20 percent off coupon for West Marine. I'd look on Ebay, though, first. I got my portlights there at a great price from a marine liquidator.

I ordered the wrong size at West Marine. They took it back, gave me the right one, and let me use my 20 percent again. Measure twice, yada yada.
        Tally and Vicki
        "Wickus" Meridian 341
        MMSI 338014939

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
          joey, thanks . i will try the screw treatment . Ultimatley i see myself reinstalling this hatch. suks. Id love to get a new one that isnt yellow . any suggestions for an upgrade? mybe with a built in blind!
          Havent seen built-in, but I did see this pretty cool shade at the last boat show:

http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/oceanair.html

http://www.boat-project.com/otherproj/cproj3.htm

Let me know what you decide to do, so I can copy it! :kidding

Joey
          2007 Discovery 246
          5.0L MPI BRAVO III
          The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

Working...
          X