Any tips. I(39)m looking to buy a Element or Element XL-gctid745335

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all those that have the same setup.

2016 Element 16' wake tower, 75hp. All seats removed, approximately 10-12 gallons of fuel. No spare tire. Basically nothing extra. 2255 lbs. Used a local scrap scale so close enough.

I will update with any water if I find it after it sits tilted a bit.

Duplicate message I know but since there are multiple water threads......

Comment

"ChopperXL" post=801375 wrote:
      "6104696" post=801278 wrote:
      Has anyone removed the screws for the fuel tank tie downs? are they long enough to penetrate the floor and thus penetrate the seal of the port-side sponson area?
      I removed the tie down screws when I installed a permanent gas tank, they are only a 1/2" long.

[attachment]34853 wrote:
      IMG_1399.JPG[/attachment]
      Thanks. On the starboard side, the screws that hold the L brackets that support the wooden panel that separates the rear storage compartment from the bilge area are a little longer; I didn't measure, but I would guess 5/8". I am pretty sure that they are long enough to penetrate the floor. I pulled them and caulked them.

Agree with the comment that it seems unlikely that quarts or gallons of water would penetrate through a couple of screw holes, but then again, if the fuel tank compartment gets a couple of gallons of water in it......if that level goes down, where would that water go?

Comment

If it goes down yea it went somewhere... But then again, why would there be gallons of water in the tank area? The ladder is over the battery area for that reason. But thats a whole different set of issues to look into.

Comment

"undieingbreed" post=801798 wrote:
          If it goes down yea it went somewhere... But then again, why would there be gallons of water in the tank area? The ladder is over the battery area for that reason. But thats a whole different set of issues to look into.
          Maybe someone (that has an Element on a trailer with the additional plugs) should pour a gallon or two in the gas tank area and wait a week or so to see if any water escaped into the sponsons. Make sure the sponsons are dry before doing the test and that you have a hand pump to remove any water remaining in the gas tank area.

We may be all surprised at the results.
          Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
          2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
          12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

I have only had my E18 for a couple of days but I can tell you that a load of water seems to get into that fuel tank compartment if the boat is left uncovered (like my dealer did for a few rainy days, or if you give the cushions a good hosedown.

I think I will add the sponson drains and be done with it.......

Very pleased with the boat so far, though......

Comment

I agree that if you leave your boat uncovered and it rains, the water will enter the compartments under each seat and make it's away to the gas tank area. I understand that the gas tank area has to contain and stop any spilled gas from reaching the bilge area due to the electrical pump. But, I don't understand why they didn't mold a channel around each seat, flowing the water to the deck. Deck water will land up in the bilge area where the pump is located. A simple inexpensive design fix.
              Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
              2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
              12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Oakplank, I do agree with the seat lip issue. The design is nice but not finished of sorts.

I will have to see how the tank area does under use.

I did not have water in the sponsons as of the day we used it. I have the boat tilted heavily to see what happens. It was in the water a good 3 hours, even went in reverse a few times.

Comment

Working...
                X