Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Owner Question, 1st Boat Ever-gctid389562

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Owner Question, 1st Boat Ever-gctid389562

    First off I am new to boating. Never owned one, only been in a few and driven even less (we all start somewhere). I have always wanted a boat but never wanted the expense, until I came across a guy in need for money so I feel I got it pretty cheap. It has been winterized since 2010Its a 1989 Bayliner Capri 2.3 inboardI don't know a lot about boats but I am very mechanical.My question is I cannot figure out what these two plugs are for, I can feel some type of tank behind it when I reach in I can also feel the shift cable going into the tank. The manual is not very clear on where it is pointing in the diagrams but I think it may be a water drain. However, I am taking it out Saturday for the 1st time and I want to make sure its all right and has all the fluids it needs.

    [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/693120=28461-qUESTION.jpg[/img]Here is the whole boat, it needs a little cosmetic work, I wanted to get it running and in the water before spending anything on the looks. The looks are the easy part lol.

    [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/693120=28460-Boat.jpg[/img]

    #2
    The older OMC "Devil Drive" (aka "Stringer drive") had an upper gearcase that could be filled and drained with oil through plugs in this location. As yours is a newer model, these may do something similar.
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

    Comment


      #3
      :wel-

      Congrats on your first boat! I hope that it serves you well and that you have a BLAST in it!

      be smart, be safe, HAVE FUN

      enjoy the site,,,,,lotsa smart guys here!

      Sarah

      Comment


        #4
        706jim wrote:
        The older OMC "Devil Drive" (aka "Stringer drive") had an upper gearcase that could be filled and drained with oil through plugs in this location. As yours is a newer model, these may do something similar.
        So I need to fill with gear oil?

        Thanks for the reply

        Comment


          #5
          KvHotDog4 wrote:
          So I need to fill with gear oil?

          Thanks for the reply
          Most likely. Remove the two screws and see what comes out. It's not a bad idea to put fresh oil in here anyway. OMC's used to use a special oil ("type C" or "HiViz") so maybe check with your owner's manual to see what is recommended for this drive.
          2007 Discovery 246
          300mpi BIII
          Welcome island Lake Superior

          Comment


            #6
            KvHotDog4 wrote:
            So I need to fill with gear oil?

            Thanks for the reply
            Its been a few years since I had an OMC but I am pretty sure those are NOT for changing the gear lube. Get yourself and owners manual before you do anything to that drive.

            IIRC you not not fill from the bottom hole, that is for draining only. There is one up a little higher and you use the dipstick on the top (plus knowing the amount it holds gives you a good idea as well) to know when it is full.

            Once again if you are new and it did not come with a manual get one asap.... And it is Hi-Vis gear lube iirc. Once again.....You know.

            Have fun.

            Comment


              #7
              First off, welcome.

              Second, disregard this statement:


              Most likely. Remove the two screws and see what comes out. It's not a bad idea to put fresh oil in here anyway. OMC's used to use a special oil ("type C" or "HiViz") so maybe check with your owner's manual to see what is recommended for this drive.
              You have a COBRA, those are NOT oil fill or drain holes.

              Point #3:

              BUY A OEM SHOP MANUAL (clymer's are crap and Haynes are a little better) BEFORE YOU SCREW THINGS UP
              " WET EVER "
              1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
              mmsi 338108404
              mmsi 338124956
              "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

              Comment


                #8
                Welcome to the club, and congratulations on the boat.

                Since you are a new boater, I strongly recommend that you take a boating safety course. The US Power Squadron holds classes all over the country. They can also help you with a safety inspection; they can let you know if you are missing any safety equipment before you are stopped by the Coast Guard or your local Sheriff. I have owned my boat for 3 years and I have been stopped for inspection twice.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Welcome to the club and congratulations on your first boat! Be careful that you catch 2-foot-itus, it is VERY contageous. You will be well served by learning as much about boats and your boat. I have found that the less I rely on the local boat shop for routine maintenance, the better I am. If you are near a good one, great. If not, you may be going a distance to find the next mechanic (my experience).:livid:

                  You will find great input and advice from this forum. I know I have.:worth

                  Comment


                    #10
                    welcome to the zoo.....congrats on the new toy....family member and chick magnet...

                    one small bit of advice...since your a nube and all....

                    "never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it.."

                    and

                    "Boats don't have brakes"

                    notice there's a go fast or loud handle...but no stop pedal......

                    don't ask how I know!!

                    :arr arrr

                    Comment


                      #11
                      seapuppy wrote:


                      "never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it.."

                      and

                      "Boats don't have brakes"

                      notice there's a go fast or loud handle...but no stop pedal......
                      Learned that the hard way with our previous boat! The prehistoric Mercury 6-in-line always died at the worst moment = no way to shift into reverse. Well you could shift but without the engine running it never showed any difference.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        As others have said, those are NOT oil fill holes. Oil in the outdrive is in the three areas indicated in blue here:



                        The bottom hole, which you can't see, has a screw in it. That's the drain hole. Open that one, and the very top one, (on the top of the outdrive), and oil drains out. Replace the bottom screw, and fill the outdrive through the MIDDLE screw, (the one I circled clearly). 2 quarts in, and when you set the dipstick on the very top ON the threads, (not screwed in), it should show full. Once you run the drive, air will escape, causing the dipstick to read full once screwed in.

                        The two holes you circled are, I BELIEVE, outdrive water drain holes, but they could be something entirely different. I've never touched them, and never had a need to. They are NOT part of regular outdrive maintenance, only mess with them if you have a reason to and if you have a manual telling you what you are doing.

                        One of the biggest problems people who know cars get into is thinking their car knowledge transfers to the boat. Principles do, but specific knowledge does not. It may look like a car engine, but there are a lot of things different about it. Get a manual .

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Thank you for all the replies, it has been helpful. This boat did come with a manual, however it does not show clearly what those holes are for. My neighbor was a boat mechanic for 40 years before he retired 3 years ago. He has helped me out MAJORLY!!! In his books it does not show those holes. He does not think it needs oil but said I should see if I could find someone who has one and ask them.Here is the picture from the manual, I am thinking its number 41 which is labeled as water drain plug

                          [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/693212=28484-20120607_195435 (2).jpg[/img]Where can I find a clymer or haynes manual? I went through a lot of this same stuff with my bike. I love forums!! Anything and everything that can happen to you has already happened to someone else and they can help you through it lol.Also, when I pulled the plugs a little water came out of the bottom plug, not even a drop. All of the fluids had been drained for the winter so I don't know if that is a sign of what is suppose to go in there, if anything

                          Comment


                            #14
                            KvHotDog4 wrote:
                            Thank you for all the replies, it has been helpful. This boat did come with a manual, however it does not show clearly what those holes are for. My neighbor was a boat mechanic for 40 years before he retired 3 years ago. He has helped me out MAJORLY!!! In his books it does not show those holes. He does not think it needs oil but said I should see if I could find someone who has one and ask them.Here is the picture from the manual, I am thinking its number 41 which is labeled as water drain plug

                            http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]Where can I find a clymer or haynes manual? I went through a lot of this same stuff with my bike. I love forums!! Anything and everything that can happen to you has already happened to someone else and they can help you through it lol.Also, when I pulled the plugs a little water came out of the bottom plug, not even a drop. All of the fluids had been drained for the winter so I don't know if that is a sign of what is suppose to go in there, if anything
                            Try this hope it helps http://cdnbaylinerownersclub.com/ind...category/3-omc

                            Comment


                              #15
                              shortyjacobs wrote:
                              As others have said, those are NOT oil fill holes. Oil in the outdrive is in the three areas indicated in blue here:



                              The bottom hole, which you can't see, has a screw in it. That's the drain hole. Open that one, and the very top one, (on the top of the outdrive), and oil drains out. Replace the bottom screw, and fill the outdrive through the MIDDLE screw, (the one I circled clearly). 2 quarts in, and when you set the dipstick on the very top ON the threads, (not screwed in), it should show full. Once you run the drive, air will escape, causing the dipstick to read full once screwed in.

                              The two holes you circled are, I BELIEVE, outdrive water drain holes, but they could be something entirely different. I've never touched them, and never had a need to. They are NOT part of regular outdrive maintenance, only mess with them if you have a reason to and if you have a manual telling you what you are doing.

                              One of the biggest problems people who know cars get into is thinking their car knowledge transfers to the boat. Principles do, but specific knowledge does not. It may look like a car engine, but there are a lot of things different about it. Get a manual .
                              Thank you!!! This is exactly what I needed to know.

                              I learned about the vehicle and bike knowledge not transfering within about 2 minutes of talking with my neighbor lol, my plans for it would have burned up the water pump in about 30 seconds and if that didn't screw me over that way I would have put the gear oil in would have gotten me about 30 yards before locking up the stern

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X