Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Precautions to Carry Extra Gas Onboard ?-gctid389515

hello

A beautious day here in Lake Champlain country! Hopefully whereever you'all are also.

I am just wondering how best to carry some 2cycle gas onboard for BUD's outboard motor?

This one has a tad more immediacy than it would have a week ago, because I managed to run out this past weekend and had to hand paddle my dinghy a cpl hundred feet - and I am lucky that I wasn't a half mile from my boat! Yes, I do realize that I should have oars but the reality is a broken oarlock and very limited room in the boat for rowing! So I have stopped taking them completely.

Presently my plan is to use a 1 quart can that denatured alcohol came in (clearly marked BTW) and to put it either under my step into the cabin or maybe in my outside locker (under the passesnger's seat)

Is this a decent plan? Does the gas need to be vented? I tend to think that it does not as I am thinking about the Coleman fuel cans that we used to lump around everywhere on family camping trips.

I'd like to be able to just leave it onboard and not rely on remembering to bring replenishment when needed as I am not very organized.

Thanks for any ideas

Sarah

Use a proper 1 gallon container to store the premix, and just carry it along with you....

Comment

we keep ours on the back swimstep strapped to one of the pole holders. We wont carry it in the hatches near the Hinos.. wont risk it with them being warm down there.. the gas is for the kicker for trolling. with the recent boat exploding from fumes.. we wont risk our lives or the boys.. not to mention the 3888 has a flaw with one of the heater vents piped from the engine room and fumes can get in the salon.. wont risk that.. we have it off at all times

Comment

Gasoline vapors are also much more explosive and flammable than White Gas fumes.

And if I remember my chemestry gasoline molecules are also smaller than alcohol (well not that it matters much does it)

Those little 1 gallon or smaller red fuel cans are the way to go. I keep mine on the boarding ladder deck.
        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I believe that you must use a proper approved gas can, you can get them quite small and they won't take up much room. I don't think your insurance would cover you if something were to happen from carrying gas in a non approved container.

Ken
          1985 3870 explore
          Illusion

Comment

It is unlawful to put gasoline in an un-approved container. I believe thats national fire code.

Use a 1 gallon size approved one and do not store it below deck on the 2452.

When buying one, keep in mind toy may be using it in arocking boat to pour gas into the O/B motor........
            Captharv 2001 2452
            "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

It is unlawful to put gasoline in an un-approved container. I believe thats national fire code.

Use a 1 gallon size approved one and do not store it below deck on the 2452.

When buying one, keep in mind you may be using it in a rocking boat to pour gas into the O/B motor........

I have a 1 gallon size at home for my chain saw, and lawn equipment. The 2 stroke oil comes in a size where you put the whole thing in with 1 gal gas and its correctly mixed
              Captharv 2001 2452
              "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

if you only want to carry a small quantity: they make these gas cans filled with some fibers which prevents the gas from floating free. This also somehow reduces the amount of vapor it generates inside the can. I have one of them but unfortunately 1g isn't worth taking on my boat as it would get me nowhere.

NEVER use a gas can NOT approved for gas. If it's not painted original red it's the wrong one.

Comment

If you use an unapproved gas can you run the risk of static electricity igniting the fuel both when you are filling it and when you are pouring it back out. And I wouldn't store it in an enclosed area. I would also be cautious about storing it in direct sun light.

Comment

Sarah,

Forget the gas can and all the complications and other regulations - just carry one of these on your boat, and you'll find it can help with more than just running out of gas on BUD

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hunky...Rs6WdDw&zoom=1

Comment

Robert K wrote:
                      Sarah,

Forget the gas can and all the complications and other regulations - just carry one of these on your boat, and you'll find it can help with more than just running out of gas on BUD

Hah! It's very pretty, but I have NO use for that!

But I DO appreciate the humor

Okay, thanks for the suggestions but if I were to not put the gas can in sunlight and not in an enclosed space,,,,,,where does that sukka go?

I am starting to entertain the idea of a dock box at my slip.

Comment

Robert K wrote:
                        Sarah,

Next time, I'd appreciate it if you would ask me for permission before you use my photo.

Comment

Sarah, We carry our gas can, one Gallon mix, on the swim platform attached to the ladder with a good bungee cord. We use to store it under the drivers chair. However, the Admiral chewed me out ( younger years) and that was way DUMB. Gary
                          GARCHAR
                          1988 2655
                          2009 Volvo Penta 5.7 300 hp DP F3s
                          Twice Past Commodore
                          Northwest Outboard Trailer Sailors, Eugene,OR

Comment

Sarah,

I use the Kloplin Fuel Pack Jr. It mounts securely and holds 1 Gallon.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...0&merchID=4006

Hope this helps.

John

Comment

Thanks Everyone!

And have a GREAT w'end,,,,,,this chick is cuttin' outta work EARLY! wooHOO

Sarah :smilet-digitalpoint

Comment

Working...
                              X