Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King cobra? question-gctid388382

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    King cobra? question-gctid388382

    I have an 1987 Contessa fb with Ford 460. The outdrive doesn't say king cobra, but everything I have read indicates that is what it is. I have read a bit, and it sounds like this has the dog clutch I believe. My question is this. When I shift from neutral to reverse the RPM's drop off and the boat almost stalls. If I feather the throttle the boat does get the rpm's up, but it takes at least 5 seconds to be able to actually reverse. I am wondering if this is an engine problem, outdrive problem, or normal (don't think it would be). It doesn't do it nearly as long going into forward. Thanks for any help. I have contacted my mechanic, but he is booked up for a week or so. Besides I always like to be armed with knowledge.

    Thanks,

    Aaron

    #2
    Aegerter36 wrote:
    I have an 1987 Contessa fb with Ford 460. The outdrive doesn't say king cobra, but everything I have read indicates that is what it is. I have read a bit, and it sounds like this has the dog clutch I believe. My question is this. When I shift from neutral to reverse the RPM's drop off and the boat almost stalls. If I feather the throttle the boat does get the rpm's up, but it takes at least 5 seconds to be able to actually reverse. I am wondering if this is an engine problem, outdrive problem, or normal (don't think it would be). It doesn't do it nearly as long going into forward. Thanks for any help. I have contacted my mechanic, but he is booked up for a week or so. Besides I always like to be armed with knowledge.

    Thanks,

    Aaron
    Mine did the same going into stern, it almost sounds like it meets resistance, it only happened in reverse, revs would die almost to a stall.. I lived with it though, for me it was no big deal.

    Some interesting info for you.. If you do happen to need a new lower leg (king cobra) search also for lower leg, Evinrude, johnson, OMC 300hp outboard.. Yes thats right, they used the king cobra lower leg on all the big outboards. Evinrude, johnson, omc all one and the same. I bought 2 from a guy in jacksonville, just sitting behind his garage $300 for the pair, i have them here with me now in UK... One went on my old boat.

    Thanks!

    Comment


      #3
      Needs either shift cable adjustment or adjustment of the shift interruptor mechanism.

      BTW, thanks, me& for the KC lower unit interchangeabilty tip! Have had no problem with mine but nice to know that the big outboards have the same unit since availability of KC parts is almost nil.

      Comment


        #4
        I agree with Mike, its probably the shift interruptor switch and can be replaced for about 80.00 and can be installed yourself.

        Comment


          #5
          Such good info. Where would I find the info about the shift interruptor mechanism? I appreciate it guys.

          Comment


            #6
            Aegerter36 wrote:
            Such good info. Where would I find the info about the shift interruptor mechanism? I appreciate it guys.
            There are four articles here by Stuart Hastings who has done a lot on Cobras

            http://cdnbaylinerownersclub.com/ind...ch-info-part-1

            Comment


              #7
              Needs either shift cable adjustment or adjustment of the shift interruptor mechanism.
              +1, or worst case a new lower cable.

              Mine was the same way, after adjustment and lubing the lower cable it is smooth as a baby's arrs.
              " WET EVER "
              1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
              mmsi 338108404
              mmsi 338124956
              "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

              Comment


                #8
                It shifts very nice, but the rpms go down and it takes a while for the rpms to come back up to actually move in reverse. It does it a little less in forward.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Aegerter36 wrote:
                  It shifts very nice, but the rpms go down and it takes a while for the rpms to come back up to actually move in reverse. It does it a little less in forward.
                  Your system is perhaps holding the micro switch "closed" a tad bit longer than it should while engaging reverse.

                  This is likely due to continued resistance on the lower cable after the gear selection has been completed.

                  Follow Stuart's suggestions and further adjust it.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                  Comment


                    #10
                    You need to adjust the "over-travel" cam
                    " WET EVER "
                    1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                    mmsi 338108404
                    mmsi 338124956
                    "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

                    Comment


                      #11
                      crowder.dr wrote:
                      There are four articles here by Stuart Hastings who has done a lot on Cobras

                      http://cdnbaylinerownersclub.com/ind...ch-info-part-1
                      I've used this info. It's very helpful.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X