Bird problem-gctid735511

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird problem-gctid735511

This is my third season with my new boat. When I arrived at the lake Saturday morning, I found that over the past week every bird passing by or living on the lake decided to have a bowel movement on my boat while it was sitting in the the hoist. This has not happened before. It took me about an hour yesterday to scrub the cover off using a broom and several pails of water to get it to the point where I could take the cover off and finish scrubbing it in the lake which took another hour.

How do people keep the birds off their boats?

Tom

Bird B gone, repeller 360

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Bryan
      1997 2858 7.4 B2
      1992 Hewescraft
      Puyallup, WA

Comment

ATC1949: We have the Bird B Gone "spider." Griff

Comment

Fishing line ran across back & forth over top of boat usually works in my area for seagulls

Comment

Fishing line with CD's hanging from it.

Rap works best.

Comment

Bird B Gone and the like will help keep the birds off the boat. However, there's not much you can do for a flying flock of birds that decide to make a "deposit" on your boat from the air.

I've been lucky and not so lucky. 0 hits on my boat, 2 hits on top of my head (without a hat).
              Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
              2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
              12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I found the Bird B-Gone devices online now I know they work. A question though - is one device enough for your larger boats? I wonder if I got one and placed it in the middle of my boat cover, would it be enough or would the birds still land just beyond its reach?

I find the shotgun approach the more satisfying solution but the environmentalists would not be happy.

Thanks for all your responses.

Tom

Comment

You need to cover the entire surface. We have 3 of the 8' diameter spiders on our 175, which leaves a few inches near the back where gulls occasionally will perch. Usually a little wind is enough to cause the wires to move enough to get them to leave fairly quickly. Our neighbors boat without any bird spiders will often have 7-9 gulls hanging out on it, while our boat 30' away will have none or 1 temporarily. They will fly up close and try to alight, but most often will either fly off (and head to the neighbor's boat) or land in the water.

Attached files

Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
                  2015 Bayliner 175 BR
                  Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One

Comment

I moor my boat at a friend's. He's retired and I gave him my pellet gun for target practice on the gull that found my boat. It hasn't been back after a few shots.

Has anyone tried an owl decoy?
                    "Martini's Law"
                    1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"diveguy" post=756641 wrote:
                      I moor my boat at a friend's. He's retired and I gave him my pellet gun for target practice on the gull that found my boat. It hasn't been back after a few shots.

Has anyone tried an owl decoy?
                      I tried that first but the birds desecrated it as bad as the boat.

Tom

Comment

I just put a couple of these on my antennas. They move with the motion of the boat or any little bit of wind. 3 weeks in and they seem to be working nicely at keeping the birds off the bimini on the flybridge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
                        S. Puget Sound

Comment

If you have a bow rider like mine this works well, pennant flags and I made a little loop out of tie wraps on the VHF antenna to run it through. They do not want to land when the flags are on it. Takes 2 min to set up.

88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                          98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Gulls are a migratory species and are protected by Federal Law, thus shooting them, or killing them in any other manner, is technically illegal.
                            2015 Bayliner 175 BR

Comment

"diveguy" post=756641 wrote:
                              Gulls are a migratory species, and thus protected under Federal Law in the U.S. Not a good idea to shoot them. OK to annoy them enough so they don't crap on your boat, but you and your friend shouldn't kill them.
                              2015 Bayliner 175 BR

Comment

Working...
                              X