Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner Customer Service, Fuel Tank Gauge, Plastic Corrision-gctid388022

Hello All;

I have a 2012 255 took delivery in April so I've only had it out a few times in the Sarasota Couty area. Can someone shed some light on these:

At the start of the day, gas gauge read dead on "E" empty, given the price of gas I put in $200 worth or 45 gallons. The gauge then read full and continued on full throughout the day (short trip). The tank is listed at 70 gallons with 65 usuable gallons. It should have read 3/4 tank.

Corrosion has built up on the plastic air intake grates located aft on each side. It almost looks like someone left wax on and hadn't removed it. This has been visible since about week 2 of ownership and thought that my cleaning 2 weeks ago would have taken care of it. The dock attendant tried with some cleaner to remove without success. It is green like the corrison seen on brass. Any idea what it may be, how to remove and protect?

I've alerted the dealer to these issues and though they are good, they are heavy into Sea Ray sales and service and Bayliners sometimes appear to be an after thought. Last year I had contacted Bayliner customer service by e-mail with questuions regarding a prior boat but see now their website only lists their dealer network, anyone have an e-mail address for Bayliner Customer Service?

Thanks!
    "Relax Inn"
    2012; 255 SB Bayliner
    Venice, Fl
    prior boat:
    2011; 180 BR

Try [email protected]

Comment

Or >>> [email protected]

be sure to provide your HIN #

good luck

Comment

Gas gauges speak with forked tongue. Big difference to a vehicle. In a vehicle, the sender is in the middle of the tank, and the cehicle is usually somewhat level.

A boat when coming on plane, shifts the fuel to the rear of the tank, where, usually, the sender is located. Rule of thumb: if the gauge changes its reading as the boat planes, or rocks, you have fuel.

As far as the corrsion in the plastic, are you sure its not mildew? I have a 2001 2452, and the mildew collects in the vent thingie. I use ZEP brand bathroom mildew stain remover. This product works as advertised. If you can't find it (I get mine at Home Depot), try spraying some bleach cut 50-50 with water into the vent thingie. Come back 10 minutes later and hose it off.

Yes, plastic can get chalky with age. But not on a new boat. Mine is going on 11 and the plastics look like new.

As far as warranty, Bayliner takes the dealers work for it. So, in a nutshell, its the dealer, not the manufacturer, who "gives the service". I would have a talk with the dealers manager (or owner). Just state the facts and let him take it from there. Maybe it isn't a SR, but what is wrong with the money you gave them? Is the money spent on SR boats any greener?

I have a great dealer when I bought mine, in Holly Hill Florida ( Aloha Marine). The problems I had: Leaky macerator. They put in a new one.

Front window leak. They sent a boatwright to my house to re seal it.

Vibration. They removes and checked the drive, U-joints, gimble bearing, etc. Turned out to be the prop. 2 blades were cupped. one was not. They gave me a new prop.

ANy time I called, they took the time to answer my questions. I will buy from them again.
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

captharv wrote:
          Gas gauges speak with forked tongue. Big difference to a vehicle. In a vehicle, the sender is in the middle of the tank, and the cehicle is usually somewhat level.

A boat when coming on plane, shifts the fuel to the rear of the tank, where, usually, the sender is located. Rule of thumb: if the gauge changes its reading as the boat planes, or rocks, you have fuel.

As far as the corrsion in the plastic, are you sure its not mildew? I have a 2001 2452, and the mildew collects in the vent thingie. I use ZEP brand bathroom mildew stain remover. This product works as advertised. If you can't find it (I get mine at Home Depot), try spraying some bleach cut 50-50 with water into the vent thingie. Come back 10 minutes later and hose it off.

Yes, plastic can get chalky with age. But not on a new boat. Mine is going on 11 and the plastics look like new.

As far as warranty, Bayliner takes the dealers work for it. So, in a nutshell, its the dealer, not the manufacturer, who "gives the service". I would have a talk with the dealers manager (or owner). Just state the facts and let him take it from there. Maybe it isn't a SR, but what is wrong with the money you gave them? Is the money spent on SR boats any greener?

I have a great dealer when I bought mine, in Holly Hill Florida ( Aloha Marine). The problems I had: Leaky macerator. They put in a new one.

Front window leak. They sent a boatwright to my house to re seal it.

Vibration. They removes and checked the drive, U-joints, gimble bearing, etc. Turned out to be the prop. 2 blades were cupped. one was not. They gave me a new prop.

ANy time I called, they took the time to answer my questions. I will buy from them again.
          __________________________________________________ _________________________________

Hey thanks ref the mildew, will try the ZEP, as far as the gauges are concerned, they do move on plane but having a 15-20 gallon difference in the reading between a 1/2 to 3/4 (where I believed it should have been) and full tank (where it was) is concerning., The dealer has been responsive, they just don't have as many Bayliners as SR in inventory. Will let all know what the dealer comes up with ref the gauges.
          "Relax Inn"
          2012; 255 SB Bayliner
          Venice, Fl
          prior boat:
          2011; 180 BR

Comment

So you bought a boat from a dealer that you knew would not be much help because you bought a Bayliner and not a Sea Ray. :right
            300SD all options sold.

Comment

I would work hard on getting answers from the dealer before getting Bayliner involved. On a different note, it's nice to hear of someone from SW Florida. I just bought a house in Charlotte county, and look forward to exploring the waters down ther in the future

Comment

Dealer got on the issue right away of the corroded blower grates and have ordered replacements. The discoloration is corrision as the plating on the plastic is pitted and not mildew.

Ref the SR owner on this post, why spend 10-15K more for the same boat, when my cabin space, cabin config and cockpit config is superior to the SR 260? The dealer is and has been responsive, just a lil disappointed with their familarity with the product as they just started carrying it 2 years ago.
                "Relax Inn"
                2012; 255 SB Bayliner
                Venice, Fl
                prior boat:
                2011; 180 BR

Comment

I had a 1996 2355 a few years ago. The fuel gauge wasn't very accurate for most of the range, but surprisingly it was pretty good when getting close to empty. I used to guess how much the tank would take and was never off by more than 5 gal on a 55 gal tank. But the fuel sending unit on a boat is nowhere near as thoughtfully designed as on a car, so don't expect the same accuracy.

Comment

I own a condo in Fl and most likely will be spending alot of time down there, point being in 4-5 years my wife retires and i will be looking for my first brand new boat.

Thank you for posting about the great service you received from your dealer and i will keep it in mind when i order my boat.
                    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                    X