Temporarily underpowering a 1994 2002 Trophy walkaround-gctid387644

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporarily underpowering a 1994 2002 Trophy walkaround-gctid387644

I currently have a 1998 Merc 150 BlackMax on the transom. Getting ready for a vacation and find the switchbox (one half of the two sides) leaking potting compound. Strange, because the batteries have both been off (via bat selector switch). Not caused by heat. Just potting failure, I believe. Maybe, I can repot the half. Anyhway,I have a 75 Merc that runs perfectly and no time to deal with 150 issues so I thought that I might put the 75 on the Trophy to get me through vacation to San Juan Islands. Speed is not necessary on this trip. Mostly, I need the cuddy for live aboard for a week. I'm curious about what speed I might achieve with the 75. It pushes the 18' that it is on now like nobodies business. Does anyone think that I would get laughed at by the boating police for having a 75 powering my boat? I imaging that it would get me around at a fair clip until I get her home and fix my 150. Thoughts on this, please.

I would do it. I don't think you would get it to plane, but would certainly push it along OK.
    David
    1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

That's what I thought. I just want to get to the coast for a week (northern California, Tomales Bay) and fish and camp out in my boat. 150 needs alot of maintenance and 75 is as reliable as a family dog. Hey David, Do you ever go after those big Aussie mud crabs? The claws on those things are enormous. They sure look tasty.

Comment

Hi Dennis, No, I am not a fisherman. But you are correct, the mud crabs are big. We just enjoy relaxing and camping on the boat. I sometimes wonder if I really need the V8 considering how we use the boat. I reckon a 50HP 4 stroke would get me where I want to go. Just slowly!!!!!! We do love the Bayliner.
        David
        1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Why not, and if someone laughs: who cares.
          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Previous boat: 1993 3055
          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE
          Life is short. Boats are cool.
          The family that plays together stays together.
          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Dennis, laughed at, or not laughed at....., you'll be down by 75 horse power... or 50%.

What if you find yourself in a situation where that additional 75 hp is needed?

Weigh the cost of that against the cost of replacing this unit!

Food for thought!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I was going to throw in my dos centavos, but they lost me at mud crabs.....YUM!!!

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                Dennis, laughed at, or not laughed at....., you'll be down by 75 horse power... or 50%.

What if you find yourself in a situation where that additional 75 hp is needed?

Weigh the cost of that against the cost of replacing this unit!

Food for thought!

I need the boat in 3 days. I can't get 150 worked on and back in the boat for several weeks (I live in the mountains) 75 would just be a temp situation until I get back and have 150 worked on. I have a shop and a nice engine lift so changing out the outboards is no problem for me. I also have a 25 hp Johnson kicker mounted on transom. Florida hull numbers are from a few years back. I bought it in Sarasota, fl and towed it back to Northern Calif. That's not me in the background.

Comment

GO FOR IT!!!!!! It's vacation time, who cares what other boaters think! You are on vacation!....just EASE into the throttle and trim!

Comment

Working...
                  X