Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Breakdown... and First Fish...-gctid387250

Good News, Bad News...

Good news is that on a night fishing trip, I bagged my first fish on the new boat - a very feisty 36" striper that was well over 20lbs.

Bad news... starter decided to just whine away and not let me start. BoatUS to the rescue. Tomorrow will be spent changing a starter.

...oh well

GREAT to hear about the fish, not so great about the breakdown. My frist trip was a disaster. When I put the props on this year, I somehow forgot the spacer between the props. It was pulling HARD right. When I got back in after I turned around, The rearward propr was not too good, the prop cone toast. I had spare parts and changed them while on the swim platform. Second trip out was the charm!
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

When this happens, sometimes a tap or two with a hammer on the starter will get it working.

A JFI.

You might try it before your remove it just for kicks.

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
        When this happens, sometimes a tap or two with a hammer on the starter will get it working.

A JFI.

You might try it before your remove it just for kicks.

Doug
        By Tapping, do you mean beating on it like a snare drum?.... Yeah, tried that to no avail.

And btw Tony, so far my top speed is 38.7!!!

Comment

Mike, with this BBC installation being done in 1993, there is a remote chance that the flywheel is the larger 168 tooth (apposed to the 153).

Grease fitting @ 12:00 O'clock on F/C typically = 153 tooth and double bearing PDS.

No grease fitting @ 12:00 O'clock on F/C typically = 168 tooth and single bearing PDS.

Rather than ordering a new starter motor by engine or p/n, I'd first remove the existing and look at the bolt pattern.

Also, don't be talked into an OEM Delco style non-gear reduction replacement starter motor! rod

Give Richard @ Seamanufacturing a phone call. Richard can set you up with an all steel reduction gear starter motor.

Some of the guys like DB Electrical.... give them a call and see if they can provide the all steel gear set!

The alternative is a nylon ring gear in the reduction set!

(examples only of HTGR/PMGR motors)

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick is on the right track I think but it worked before. A worn spot on a flywheel can cause it. If you could get to the flywheel with a large screwdriver and move it a tad it might work. Not a fix but a possible way to get started and get home.

Years ago when most cars were manual transmissions this would happen. Put the car in gear and rock it a bit manually.

Moving the flywheel is doing the same thing.

Even backing off the bolts on the starter so its a bit loose and retighten might get you going again.

When your disabled and there is no tow in sight, you have a few things to try.

Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Good point!

Mike, while you have the old motor out, look at the flywheel ring gear. See if any teeth are missing or are badly worn.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the advice and the tips... hopefully, I'll never need to use them but it's good to be able to try "something" when you get stuck.

Back in the water with no real downtime, just a day off from work to fix it - and it was actually an enjoyable day off.

Comment

tonyiiiafl wrote:
                  GREAT to hear about the fish, not so great about the breakdown. My frist trip was a disaster. When I put the props on this year, I somehow forgot the spacer between the props. It was pulling HARD right. When I got back in after I turned around, The rearward propr was not too good, the prop cone toast. I had spare parts and changed them while on the swim platform. Second trip out was the charm!
                  I remember reading about that... ouch!

Comment

Working...
                  X