Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank God this family(39)s Ford Excursion had an oversize rear bumper-gctid386462

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank God this family(39)s Ford Excursion had an oversize rear bumper-gctid386462

... in the form of a Sea Ray.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/690001=28230-2012-05-25_17-07-51_539-1.jpg[/img]Glad everyone is okay... I guess a tire blew and the SUV crossed the median into oncoming traffic, with a semi hitting the Sea Ray.

OK someone has to say it. Damn cheap sea ray contruction cant stand up to anything....:livid::livid:

Comment

I'm sure Billy Mays has a miracle product that can cure it.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
        I'm sure Billy Mays had a miracle product that can cure it.
        corrected your statement

Comment

Doesn't that seem a little big for an excursion in the 1st place? Looks like a good 34 or so feet of boat there at least.

Comment

I would throw up. Dam shame to ruin a nice boat.

Comment

9986mkoh wrote:
              Doesn't that seem a little big for an excursion in the 1st place? Looks like a good 34 or so feet of boat there at least.
              The V10 and diesel X's are rated to tow 11k.

Comment

Late 90's 330DA

It is way to heavy for that truck. The boat dry is at the max for towing, 11,500 with no fluids, batteries or trailer.

Ken
                300SD all options sold.

Comment

Iproff wrote:
                  Late 90's 330DA

It is way to heavy for that truck. The boat dry is at the max for towing, 11,500 with no fluids, batteries or trailer.

Ken
                  +1

I have an excursion and I pull a 9000 lb travel trailer with it. Even though it may have an 11000 lb tow capacity a load that heavy would really be taxing it. Also that boat has to weigh way more than that with a trailer.

It says they blew a tire. My bet is they didnt have "E" rated tires and over loaded the tires on the vehicle.
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

yachtman wrote:
                    +1

I have an excursion and I pull a 9000 lb travel trailer with it. Even though it may have an 11000 lb tow capacity a load that heavy would really be taxing it. Also that boat has to weigh way more than that with a trailer.

It says they blew a tire. My bet is they didnt have "E" rated tires and over loaded the tires on the vehicle.
                    And probably driving over 55mph. I think California has it right with their 55mph speed limit for all trailers(not sure where they were). When I towed a 10k trailer from FL to CA and then to WA, I rarely exceeded 55mph. I just didn't fell 100%.

They definitely were not going a safe speed for their situation if a simple blowout caused them to lose control of their rig.

Comment

5 cases of duct tape and should be good to go!

I saw a thread somewhere where a guy taped his plane back together after a bear tore it apart, and flew it home from Alaska, not sure where that thread is
                      Trophy WA 2052 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II
                      Maple Bay, BC.

Comment

Nigels wrote:
                        5 cases of duct tape and should be good to go!

I saw a thread somewhere where a guy taped his plane back together after a bear tore it apart, and flew it home from Alaska, not sure where that thread is
                        http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434561-1.html

really nice job he did taping it up..not sure how I'd feel about flying back home in though..

Comment

Davem2421 wrote:
                          http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434561-1.html

really nice job he did taping it up..not sure how I'd feel about flying back home in though..
                          So if you hit a reef, don snorkel attach duct tape and carry on fishing!
                          Trophy WA 2052 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II
                          Maple Bay, BC.

Comment

The Super Duty/Excursion family can tow more than 11K. 11K is based on highway speeds, grades, etc etc. There are some midwest guys that move 15-20K hayloads but that's on flatter terrain. These trucks are the last step between a pickup truck and a commercial truck IMO.

If tongue weighted WAY TOO heavy I could see a rear tire blowout, but I doubt it. More likely road debris or just a old or not properly inflated tire that let go.

Comment

rkcarguy wrote:
                              The Super Duty/Excursion family can tow more than 11K. 11K is based on highway speeds, grades, etc etc. There are some midwest guys that move 15-20K hayloads but that's on flatter terrain. These trucks are the last step between a pickup truck and a commercial truck IMO.

If tongue weighted WAY TOO heavy I could see a rear tire blowout, but I doubt it. More likely road debris or just a old or not properly inflated tire that let go.
                              Farmers haying is completely different than transporting a boat on a major highway. That boat looks too large AND too heavy with trailer for an Excursion. Tongue weight too heavy is one half of the problem, another issue with boats is too little tongue weight, so the boat in an emergency situation is able to easily tell the rear of the tow vehicle where to go instead of the other way around. 11k being safe on the highway with a vehicle as small as an Excursion (it's a fat pig for what it is, but it's nowhere near a commercial vehicle) requires properly weight distribution and a weight-distributing hitch.

What can the Excursion tow? I'm sure 20k without a major problem. What years of driving overloaded Excursions won't tell you is when the **** hits the fan, you'll realize you had too much weight behind you that entire time you thought things were going well.

Comment

Working...
                              X