1991 ciera 2655 problems with coming on plane and top speed-gctid386420

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 ciera 2655 problems with coming on plane and top speed-gctid386420

hey guys, just put the winnie mae 2 in the water for season last week. several questions, 1. what is top speed on these boats. i have the 2655 sunbridge, with a 350 chevy. at 4200 rpm i get 26.8 to 27.4 max. all trimmed out. at 3500rpm i get 21-23 knts max.

2. when i throttle up she takes a real long time to get up to speed. i mean if i bring it up to 3500 were talking 30 sec's or more to get up on plane. and she does not pop up on plane so much as settles into it.

3. what is fuel tankage. i went out yesterday and ran up the navasink, 5 miles, down the shrewsbury several more than up to ny harbor under the brooklyn bridge and back to the highlands where i fueled up with gauge showing empty. took 49 gallons. was told by marina owner it should be 60 gallon tank...

love the boat everything i need size wise, but she's a real dog out of the gate compared to my 89 21 trophy . i know she's 1500 pd's heavier but maybe the prop..... she feels like she's working hard until she's up to speed. any thoughts or advice would be helpful. thanks cj

I assume your boat is exactly the same thing as my 1993. Mine has the 305 though. My max speed is about 38 mph, cruise is about 32 at 3500 rpm. I had 7 people out on it the other weekend and it actually did quite well with the trim tabs, although a bit bit sluggish. 2-3 people on board and it pops up in probably 8 seconds or so pretty easily without full throttle. My tank is 70 gallons, but again its a different year. And mine feels like its working pretty hard til it gets up, but you really should have no problems at all with the 350. I'll have to check my prop pitch again, I know its in another thread on here.

Comment

thanks, i guess i will talk to some prop guys and try to figure this out. 27 at 4200 rpm just does not seem right

Comment

I have a 91 2655 5.0L but before comparing mine to yours I need to ask a few questions

1. What Prop are you running

2. Are you relying on the speedo or using GPS?

3. Is the boat loaded up, how much extra weight are you carrying?

3. Don't rely on the fuel gauge, they are never accurate Bayliner spec is 60 gal. The 10 gal discrepancy is probably a combination of it not being absolutely empty and not getting absolutely filled up.

Comment

not sure on the prop but i use the gps. speedo works then craps out. the tube is shot i think. will be pulling her out to weld on a new skeg this week and will see what size prop i have on there. just talked to a pretty reliable marine supply house in cherry hill area and they said i should be using a 15x15.5 or 16x16 prop. he thinks based on my discription of sluggish response that i may be over propped. all new to me. he also said 30-45 seconds is normal time getting up to speed/on plane. seems long to me. finally last piece of puzzle. when i try to turn tightly at any thing over 3200 rpm 20knts my prop seems to break loose and over revs......ah boating.....

Comment

winniemae wrote:
            thanks, i guess i will talk to some prop guys and try to figure this out. 27 at 4200 rpm just does not seem right
            Props or junk on the hull. you could also have a bad prop hub and doing a lot of spinning.
            David
            http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
            http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

winniemae wrote:
              hey guys, just put the winnie mae 2 in the water for season last week. several questions, 1. what is top speed on these boats. i have the 2655 sunbridge, with a 350 chevy. at 4200 rpm i get 26.8 to 27.4 max. all trimmed out. at 3500rpm i get 21-23 knts max.

2. when i throttle up she takes a real long time to get up to speed. i mean if i bring it up to 3500 were talking 30 sec's or more to get up on plane. and she does not pop up on plane so much as settles into it.

3. what is fuel tankage. i went out yesterday and ran up the navasink, 5 miles, down the shrewsbury several more than up to ny harbor under the brooklyn bridge and back to the highlands where i fueled up with gauge showing empty. took 49 gallons. was told by marina owner it should be 60 gallon tank...

love the boat everything i need size wise, but she's a real dog out of the gate compared to my 89 21 trophy . i know she's 1500 pd's heavier but maybe the prop..... she feels like she's working hard until she's up to speed. any thoughts or advice would be helpful. thanks cj
              That year 2655 is nothing more than the 87-89 2455 with a built in swim platform. With a 5.7, there is no reason why you shouldn't see 40 -42 mph wide open. Gas capacity is 64 gallons.

1. Clean the hull.

2. FULL tuneup.

3. Check timing

Something is wrong with your engine. It ain't the prop.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
              X