Overnight Cruisers-gctid345762

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight Cruisers-gctid345762

Since I am still looking into a cruiser I have a strange question. A marina near me is a drug dealers haven, I only launch there at daytime. So my question is this, if you go to a marina for an overnighter and never been there or know the area, how do you protect yourself?

Get a concealed carry permit and a gun or keep a couple of cans of high % pepper spray, a harpoon or even a flare gun handy.

Oh, and don't wear gang colors... :bang-
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

We keep a cute little 20ga. multipurpose shot gun on board.......... skeet shooter, gang banger, whiskered rock sausage deterrent.:arr

Comment

Doug,

Do you think a 22-250 is concealable?

I do own a 9MM and 38 that is in the nightstand, I guess I need to check Delaware law if I transfer them from house to boat if it's considered concealed.

Comment

45 acp + 12 ga

Comment

I have a pistol aboard. however, it has never been pulled out in 25 years of cruising. If there were BGs around, they did their thing and I did mine, not to interfere with theirs. The BGs don't want to bring attention to themselves, and probably won't bother you.

Hear this: they are many and well armed. Best to use another marina.

look the marina up on:

www.activecaptain.com

Its a free website and the boaters themselves rate a marina. It may require registration but they are good to use before cruising. Also, talk to some oif the other cruisers in the area andthey will tell you the stay-a-way ones and good marinas. And, youcan upload comments based on your marina experience.

Join a cruising club in your area. When the group does a cruise,the leader, at least, has been there before and knows what to expect. Besides theres safety in numbers.
            Captharv 2001 2452
            "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

captharv wrote:
              I have a pistol aboard. however, it has never been pulled out in 25 years of cruising. If there were BGs around, they did their thing and I did mine, not to interfere with theirs. The BGs don't want to bring attention to themselves, and probably won't bother you.

Hear this: they are many and well armed. Best to use another marina.

look the marina up on:

http://"http://www.activecaptain.com...ivecaptain.com

Its a free website and the boaters themselves rate a marina. It may require registration but they are good to use before cruising. Also, talk to some oif the other cruisers in the area andthey will tell you the stay-a-way ones and good marinas. And, youcan upload comments based on your marina experience.

Join a cruising club in your area. When the group does a cruise,the leader, at least, has been there before and knows what to expect. Besides theres safety in numbers.
              Good Advice

Comment

JZammetti wrote:
                Since I am still looking into a cruiser I have a strange question. A marina near me is a drug dealers haven, I only launch there at daytime. So my question is this, if you go to a marina for an overnighter and never been there or know the area, how do you protect yourself?
                Stay locked & loaded, but you got good advice already. These guys want no more to do with you than you want contact with them.

They're doing their thing, do yours with no worries....

Comment

Why carry a pistol while cruising with all of theconceal/carry permits and stuff.. Why not a nice little shotgun with a clip. No permit needed to have with you and face it your on a boat and it's going to be close range with guns or hand to hand..... take your best shot with a shotgun and inflict maximum damage to a large area..... hand guns may work on the street but on a boat a short shotgun will scare the crap out of anybody especially when you **** it the first time....

Comment

I dont know where you guys boat we just take extra beer to give away

Comment

Personally I would find another marina. Even with protection to me it just would not be worth the risk.
                      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                      1998 3055 Ciera
                      (yes, a 1998)
                      Previous boat: 1993 3055
                      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                      Sea Doo XP
                      Sea Doo GTI SE
                      Life is short. Boats are cool.
                      The family that plays together stays together.
                      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

billsguns wrote:
                        45 acp + 12 ga
                        +1.

first off....get a CWP....I'm not positive of your experience so pardon my ignorance...but if you haven't taken any weapons training...take some....learn to use the weapon....learn to carry it concieled and the laws....

but I also carry a .40s/w. glock 23....

I have it when we're aboard the boat...and I carry when not at work.......

:arr arr

Comment

jamie mac wrote:
                          i dont know where you guys boat we just take extra beer to give away
                          +1 :d

Comment

JZammetti wrote:
                            Doug,

Do you think a 22-250 is concealable?

I do own a 9MM and 38 that is in the nightstand, I guess I need to check Delaware law if I transfer them from house to boat if it's considered concealed.
                            Definitely check with the State but in most States you can carry the weapon in your trunk in a case. Some states require the case be locked and most require the ammunition to be in a separate (possibly locked) case.

If you can get a concealed carry permit I would do so. I think law enforcement actually prefers that someone have the permit because in most states a basic background check is required which means you've been cleared of the most obvious criminal stuff. Makes the law dogs feel a little safer, but only a little. LOL

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
                              Personally I would find another marina. Even with protection to me it just would not be worth the risk.
                              That is the correct answer....now what fabulous prizes do we have?? LOL

But seriously, if you know it's a problem stay away. Even if you get there and discover it's a problem leave unless you have no other choice. Anchoring overnight might be preferable although I wouldn't anchor too close to that marina as it might give the druggies the idea to come over and visit you in the night.

Comment

Working...
                              X