Considering purchasing a 288 (2858). Any owners out there?-gctid345714

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering purchasing a 288 (2858). Any owners out there?-gctid345714

Does anyone know what the original sticker price was on theese boats?

I'm considering a 2005.

How would you rate your overall satisfaction with the boat?

I'm only considering the duo prop model, however, unsure what is the preferred power,

350 mag vs 454. Which can I expect the best economy out of at cruise?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks, Wally

I'm almost positive that the 454 was not offered in 2005. The standard (and I think only) power was the 350 mag coupled witht he BIII. I've never owned one, but I think they are great boats. Only issue might be docking it by yourself.

Comment

The last year they were made was 2009 and the "list" price was well over $100k. 2001 was the last year for the 7.4 with Bravo 3 drive (dual props) and I've heard there were a few 2002s. Then it was 350 mag with Bravo 3. I've driven both and prefer the big block 7.4, even though it's only 10 hp more (310 vs 300.) The cruise speeds and top speeds (low 20s and mid 30s) are similar, but the 350 turns higher RPM to achieve it. I was pleasantly surprised at it's docking manners, but in a crosswind you'll want help, as Ralph said. My guess is fuel economy will be similar, which is nothing to write home about. Stay down in the 22-25 mph range for the best cruising speed and economy.
      Jeff & Tara
      (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
      "GetAway"
      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Wally wrote:
        Does anyone know what the original sticker price was on theese boats?

I'm considering a 2005.

How would you rate your overall satisfaction with the boat?

I'm only considering the duo prop model, however, unsure what is the preferred power,

350 mag vs 454. Which can I expect the best economy out of at cruise?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks, Wally
        MSRP in 2005 $67,470 350 Mag Engine only. 7.4 was dropped after 2001
        Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Thanks for your comments

Comment

Go for it! New to Wanderful, our 2007 Bay 288 we bought in November. We love the bridge and accomodations. The Merc 350 MPI 300 hp is adequate although it huffs and puffs a little to get on a plane if 6 adults aboard. Engine room access is excellent with single engine. We added a bow thruster eliminating the problem of being pinned on the dock with a strong cross wind. Directional stability at low speed is a minor annoyance. All in all, it is the best 28' design for our cruising plans.

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X