305/3055 Planing Speed-gctid385862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

305/3055 Planing Speed-gctid385862

I've been changing props because they were originally overpitched and does anyone know what the "plane" speed of the 305/3055 is? I assume they should be the same and mine is about ~23 Knots (~28mph).

I'd agree 23knots is about the minimum for me. What props did you ened up putting on? I just went back to the stock as I thought I was way over-propped as well. Couldn't get north of 4000rpm on either engine before hand. I want to say the stock suggestion was maybe 17.5's with a 17 pitch....but I could be way off.

Comment

According to the fuel burn charts, the most efficient planing speed (best mpg) for the 305 is 24.5 knots.
      Mike P
      The Bahamas
      Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Yesterday on my way back from Shelter Island, NY, I was doing 28 MPH, and I was at 3500-3600 RPM.

But I'm not sure that is "good." I thought I read somewhere that at 3550 RPM, I should be around 31 MPH. I certainly don't get that.

edit: i just saw that you have the 5.0s, so our numbers will be a little different (also, if you have B3 drives).
        2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
        Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
        Bravo II drives
        Closed-cooling

Comment

aa2300 wrote:
          I'd agree 23knots is about the minimum for me. What props did you ened up putting on? I just went back to the stock as I thought I was way over-propped as well. Couldn't get north of 4000rpm on either engine before hand. I want to say the stock suggestion was maybe 17.5's with a 17 pitch....but I could be way off.
          I ended up 18" stainlesss from PowerTech and with 7/8 tank of fuel and five people, I was able to 4750 so darn close to the WOT spec. My factory was 21" and my engines were way overworked with a full load. I did try 19" and might have been able to go with it but I am being safe considering all the problems I had with overworked engines.

Comment

Stratocaster wrote:
            According to the fuel burn charts, the most efficient planing speed (best mpg) for the 305 is 24.5 knots.
            Fuel burn chart? I'd love to see that and where can I download it from or can you send it to me?

Comment

I have it on my computer at home...I will try to remember to find it and post it when I finish work today.
              Mike P
              The Bahamas

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Yesterday on my way back from Shelter Island, NY, I was doing 28 MPH, and I was at 3500-3600 RPM.

But I'm not sure that is "good." I thought I read somewhere that at 3550 RPM, I should be around 31 MPH. I certainly don't get that.
                I do 32 MPH at 3800 RPM, and the flow meters say 3700 RPM is the optimum MPG, around 30.5-31 MPH. I am over-propped as even with a light load I can only pull 4200 and maybe sometimes 4300 RPM and 36 MPH. Pulling and exchanging the props is on my list for this spring.

Comment

Here it is.

It's in German and of course all the consumption data are metric...but conversion is easy with any online conversion app.

The info is on Page 3.

Attached files TR_1003_Bayliner3055-1.pdf (183.5 KB)
                  Mike P
                  The Bahamas

Comment

Stratocaster wrote:
                    Here it is.

It's in German and of course all the consumption data are metric...but conversion is easy with any online conversion app.

The info is on Page 3.
                    Thanks. Good info. So it looks like if i am reading it correctly, it's saying that at 3500 RPM, you should be getting 45.4 km/hr which translates to 24.5 knots, or 28.2 mph.

I was at about 3600 rpm going about 28, so I guess that's good especially considering I was loaded up with gear (dinghies, motors, genny, full gas & water, etc.).
                    2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
                    Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
                    Bravo II drives
                    Closed-cooling

Comment

Working...
                    X