Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sump pump bayliner 300 2008-gctid385686

Good day,

Got my Bayliner at my marina last weekend, the Amiral and I sleep in it and took a shower, I never used the shower in my previous boat before but wanted to try this one. As the Amiral was in the shower I checked the sump pump and to my surprise the water was going throug the sump pump and out in the bilge. I always thought that it was suppose to go through the sump pump and directly out not using the bilge pump.

Is this correct?

By the way what a great boat, I upgraded from Chaparral 240 Signature, can not wait to go on Lake Champlain.

Richard

Bayliner 300 2008

2 x 4.7L

Montreal

If the shower is flowing to a sump box as it should then the box should have a pump and a float. The pump then discharges overboard.

If the box is filling and overflowing then likely the float is not properly controlling the pump. But it could be power or the pump.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

On newer Bayliners, they don't have a sump with a float switch, I know, stupid. It's a direct overboard pump with a manual switch in the head. When you get ankle-deep in water, hit the switch, it goes overboard. It should NOT go into the bilge, it should just get deeper until it overflows the showerpan or you hit the switch. Trace the shower drain, it should go to the pump, then an overboard hose. One of the two is leaking, or not hooked up...
      Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ
      |
      Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
      2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
      2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
      2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
      2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
      And 12 others...
      In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

So Bayliner did away with the shower sump box? That's what I have in my 2006. I'll admit the "electronic" float is a pain with soap foam and scum and I plan on changing it out to a regular float style but to do away with the box altogether and just have a pump inline with the shower drain line and a manual switch seems like backwards thinking.

Comment

I just replaced my pump in an '08 320. Something goes amiss with the float on the pump. The pump seems to work when you test it, but in position in the box, it doesn't kick on... almost like the float has a crack and has taken on water, although I can't find any visible issue with it.

Anyway, swapped the pump and it works like a charm. I dealt with it for nearly a year... vacuuming out the bilge, etc. because the overflow would collect in areas that wouldn't fully drain - and eventually STINK. Don' beat yourself up and just replace the pump. If it's an Attwood Sahara 750gph pump, they're known to fail in this mysterious manner.

Comment

Impactg wrote:
            I just replaced my pump in an '08 320. Something goes amiss with the float on the pump. The pump seems to work when you test it, but in position in the box, it doesn't kick on... almost like the float has a crack and has taken on water, although I can't find any visible issue with it.

Anyway, swapped the pump and it works like a charm. I dealt with it for nearly a year... vacuuming out the bilge, etc. because the overflow would collect in areas that wouldn't fully drain - and eventually STINK. Don' beat yourself up and just replace the pump. If it's an Attwood Sahara 750gph pump, they're known to fail in this mysterious manner.
            Will not be able to go the boat before Saturday, will check what kind of sump pump I have. Thanks for the info.

Comment

We recently returned from a Caribbean vacation aboard a large power catamaran. It had no less than FOUR showers, each equipped with that silly button to empty the sump. Out of four showers, only one worked properly.

It wouldn't be my first choice.
              2007 Discovery 246
              300mpi BIII
              Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

rocket09 wrote:
                Will not be able to go the boat before Saturday, will check what kind of sump pump I have. Thanks for the info.
                You bet. Good luck. I hate when things don't work as intended.

Ah well, that's boating.

Comment

The original sump pump on my '02 was a constant source of frustration. It would kick on, but frequently would not prime itself to pump water. I replaced the original with the same brand (Johnson) only to have the same problem. Finally I went with a slightly larger pump and haven't had a problem since. The discharge line goes at a steep angle up and then has a loop before it attaches to the the hull fitting. I believe the original pump did not have enough oomph to make it. Anyway to the original poster this may be your problem or:

2. The float switch is not working or...

3. The pump is not working or

4. There is no power at all to it

First thing I would do is to lift the float by hand and see if you hear anything run.

Comment

I have a 2006 325 that has been problem free up to 2 weeks ago. The sump pump for the shower was dry as we do not use the shower. While we were sitting on the back deck, we heard a noise that we found was coming from the sump pump which started on its own. I opened the case and tapped the pump and it stopped. About 1 week later, when we arrived at the boat, it was running. Same procedure and it stopped. last week, it started on its own so we disconnected it as there is no there switch. After checking the net, I found that this problem is not unusual and is usually tied to the switch.

The best recommendation I have found so far is to pick up an Attwood Shower Sump 750 so that is the next step. As a precaution, I will also add a manual switch as an override.

Comment

There should be a shower sump pump switch somewhere. My 2655, 2855 and 3055 all had shower sump pump switches. I would be very surprised if a 2006 325 did not have one.
                      Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                      West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

That's what I thought. I followed the wires as best as I could and it looks like they go into a loom and out of sight. I've explored every area of the boat and I have never found any switch for anything. When I install the new pump, there will be a new switch.

Thanks for the comment.

Comment

Working...
                        X