Parts availability for OMC Cobra/350-gctid384317

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts availability for OMC Cobra/350-gctid384317

Have been told OMC is no longer in business and parts are hard to find. Is this a fact? Looking at a 1987 model 2556 Ciera but am concerned about parts.

I found parts quite easily for my 1988 2455 ceiera with a omc 350

and cobra leg.There are quite a few places that sell parts for these

legs if you look online.Its a strong leg as long as you keep it adjusted

properly.

Comment

If its a Ford block parts are difficult to find if at all i.e. oi pan timing cover etc. If it has a GM block parts are available from BRP as well as lots of aftermatket companies. Complete exhaust conversions are als available.

Comment

Correct! OMC is no longer..... it was purchased by Volvo Penta.

There is a company that apparently purchased the rights to produce replacement parts for the Cobra drives.

Finding a certified person for the work may not be quite as easy.

There are also two alternatives for a Cobra replacement drive these days.

These would be either the SEI and/or the Volvo Penta SX or DP-S drives.

Either requires an installation/conversion kit.

SEI retains Dog Clutch gear engagement and the need for the ESA......, while the Volvo Penta offers you cone clutch gear engagement, and eliminates the ESA.

The actual V-8 engine would be very similar to that of a Merc or a Volvo Penta.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

ken907 wrote:
          Have been told OMC is no longer in business and parts are hard to find. Is this a fact? Looking at a 1987 model 2556 Ciera but am concerned about parts.
          A regular Cobra, parts are everywhere. The GM 350 is probably THE most common engine, and you'll be able to find parts for it well after gasoline engines are banned from the earth Most Cobra parts are still available with brand new OEM replacements, others have been manufactured by third parties (GLM and Sierra). I would not shy away from a boat with a Cobra or it excludes you from some of Bayliner's best years. But, it's important the drive shifts properly into forward/reverse, doesn't grind and doesn't stall/etc. Do not accept any statements about how it's always done that, just does it when it's cold, simple fix, etc... it's not set up correctly if this is the case, and that could be a couple boat bucks. (This is true for not just the Cobra but any mechanical system or sterndrive, it's just a bit harder to find a good OMC guy these days.)

If it is a King Cobra which is rare, but I believe was seen on one late 80s 2556 /w 350, the King parts are harder to find.

notatthebottom wrote:
          If its a Ford block parts are difficult to find if at all i.e. oi pan timing cover etc. If it has a GM block parts are available from BRP as well as lots of aftermatket companies. Complete exhaust conversions are als available.
          That's the Ford 460, the GM 350 and Ford 351 are both extremely easy to find parts for.

2850Bounty wrote:
          Correct! OMC is no longer..... it was purchased by Volvo Pneta.

There is a company that apparently purchased the rights to produce replacement parts for the Cobra drives.

Finding a certified person for the work may not be quite as easy.

There are also two alternatives for a Cobra replacement drive these days.

These would be either the SEI and/or the Volvo Penta SX or DP-S drives.

Either requires an installation/conversion kit.

SEI retains Dog Clutch gear engagement and the need for the ESA......, while the Volvo Penta offers you cone clutch gear engagement, and eliminates the ESA.

The actual V-8 engine would be very similar to that of a Merc or a Volvo Penta.

True... but an important distinction for parts availability: OMC was not purchased by Volvo Penta, only certain assets were. Many OMC Cobra parts continue to be sold by BRP, who purchased much of OMC's assets including the Johnson and Evinrude names. Volvo will only provide parts for the drives they had in common - the SX Cobra, and parts which were the same on the Cobra and Volvo drives, AFAIK.

Comment

Ishiboo, I believe that the KC did show up early, but the KC CC drive did not show up until after the 80's.... yes/no?

Correct.... the SX Cobra and the later SX V/P both use Volvo Penta cone clutch engineering.

Apparently the use became part of the negotiations.

None-the-less, IMO V/P shot themselves in the foot when they discontiued the AQ series drives in the late 90's (some diesel drives continued).

We don't see these drives in our Bayliners. :sorrow:
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the info. The boat is pristine ,but the eng needs some TLC. my concern is the cost of upgrading the engine and/or the outdrive and keeping it going in the meantime. Can you give me a little more info on converting to a VP-SX or DP-S drive. Ball park cost? It is a OMC 350 with a Cobra outdrive. The year is 1989. The engine has very low hours on it. All damage is due to Valdez winters/oil pan,fuel pump,valve cover corrosion etc. The out drive looks like new condition.

Comment

Ken, I'd begin with what the asking price is, and what you are willing to pay, and what you are capable of doing re; mechanical.

Keep in mind that the owner is full aware of what the OMC does to the selling price.

I'm not saying DO NOT purchase it..... I'm suggesting that you use this to your advantage.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

In my experience (1987 2750 w/ GM 350 and Cobra drive), parts are readily available and the Cobra drive is a workhorse. If all the mechanicals are in good order with little work needed I'd stick with the OEM equipment.

The only problem, as noted, is the lack of qualified mechanics to service the OMC drives. They're out there but few and far between.

Comment

I have the Cobra 351 Have never had a repair person who could not work on when asked. Parts are simple to find and even NAPA auto parts have many parts for them,

Comment

For some reason I thought I read somewhere that there is a Mercruiser Alpha I (maybe Alpha 2) conversion out there as well for the Cobra? Not sure if anyone has done this, but came across this awhile back:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/Stern-D..._Alpha_Kit.cfm

Comment

3 boats ago I had a Cobra drive mated to OMC 4.3l V6. When it was going it was fine. Getting someone to work on it that "REALLY KNEW" what they were doing... forget it. IMO it is junk and I wouldn't touch it. If it's cheap enough drop a new drive on it as suggested, or replace the engine and drive to one of your choice.
                        David
                        1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

jmg-in-alask wrote:
                          For some reason I thought I read somewhere that there is a Mercruiser Alpha I (maybe Alpha 2) conversion out there as well for the Cobra? Not sure if anyone has done this, but came across this awhile back:
                          I think that it was perhaps SEI who brought the conversion kit to the market. None-the-less, I believe that both the SEI and the Merc A Gen II drive will work with the http://"http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5...onversion kit.

A similar kit allows for the cone clutch SX and DP-S drives to be adapted, and includes the engine mounted sea water pump.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I prefer my Cobra leg to any of my previous Alpha legs.

Re: parts........... http://www.glmmarine.com/OMCVolvoPenta/
                            " WET EVER "
                            1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                            mmsi 338108404
                            mmsi 338124956
                            "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Working...
                            X