2859 Help Needed-gctid383343

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2859 Help Needed-gctid383343

I'm replacing the carpet in our 2859 and can't figure out how to remove the step under the dinette.

It is held together with staples and screws. If you are not going to reinstall it get out your crowbar and hammer and tear it out. If you plan to reuse it, good luck. We took ours out and have appreciated the extra floor space. If you are short legged it can be a long step up to the dinette though.

Comment

Great, Thanks!!!!

As luck would have it, I brought a crow bar with me

Comment

looks like its screwed on. I got the end piece open and it's screwed in also.

I felt under under the floor and found a screw holding these 1x1 screwed to the floor.

Comment

The secret! screwed through the carpet.

1.5" #10 screws holding those 1x1's

Comment

Yeah, mine had some long staples too. Are you going to reinstall the step or leave it off?

Comment

After you mentioned it having more space, now that it's out, I like the extra space also.

My admiral is short & she was using the step a lot, so I'll see how it goes this summer.

Comment

While you're in there, open up the hole in the floor (or add a second as I did on mine). The access to the area under that floor is great for storing chairs and such.
                Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I see those nice floors you guys put in, now I didn't realize that the cabinets had to come out. Bayliner carpets the whole cabin then inserts the cabinets.

I won't get enough time for a floor mod, but that's a great idea. I see there is a whole sub floor forward of the water pump.

Comment

onthelake wrote:
                    I see those nice floors you guys put in, now I didn't realize that the cabinets had to come out. Bayliner carpets the whole cabin then inserts the cabinets.

I won't get enough time for a floor mod, but that's a great idea. I see there is a whole sub floor forward of the water pump.
                    I didn't pull any cabinets out when I put my floor in, just cut the carpet alongside of them. But if you are replacing the carpet that would be a good idea. It may actually be less work to go with the vinyl floor.

Yes, the extra storage under the floor is great to be able to access.

Comment

After taking out the cabinet in the mid cabin, 100 screws later, I decided the galley was staying put. I cut around them

Comment

Got all the carpet out. Some of it was put on top of resin that had not dried and was a bi?ch to take out. Used a blade to cut it down to the resin.

I'm using a high dense foam to replace the carpet. Same material I put in the 2755 and really like it.

I did that cabin step first and we have an 8' x 4' laying in the cockpit. It's great to stand on and impervious to water.

Took the door stop off, and removed mid cabin closet.

I'll deal with the water stains after, which was caused by a window leak that was fixed last year.

The cabin entry step done. This material sticks good using contact cement.

All the carpet out. Decided not to remove the galley cabinets.

1st piece down. Mostly clued. The small indent is the bilge access panel missing, which I'll do later. I measured every foot using the dinette side as my lead edge for cutting the foam. It does stretch a little so it's easy to make a 1/4" mistake look good.

Comment

That's a big improvement.

Comment

Thanks,

It sure feels better. The carpet was original and really hard to clean.

I noticed you have an access door through the V-Birth. There is a frame on the inside of that first cargo hold, is that where you made a whole?

Thanks,

Comment

onthelake wrote:
                              Thanks,

It sure feels better. The carpet was original and really hard to clean.

I noticed you have an access door through the V-Birth. There is a frame on the inside of that first cargo hold, is that where you made a whole?

Thanks,
                              Yes, that old carpet gets pretty skunky.

I didn't make the hole it was there when I bought the boat. Behind the louvers is my Air Conditioner/ Heat Pump. Some 2859s have an access door there so you don't have to lift the cushion to enter the compartment from the top. I never noticed if mine was framed from the inside, I don't think it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X