trailering question-gctid383209

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trailering question-gctid383209

I have loaded and unloaded many a smaller boat from a trailer without any problems my 2755 is the biggest boat therefor a bigger challenge. I'm looking for some tips/advice on an issue I'm having when loading. The problem is this as the trailer is backed into the water because of the slope of the ramp the trailer sits at an angle to the boat when I first maneuver the boat onto the trailer the boat stops against the winch stand at a high point just under the pulpit I crank the winch to snug up strap and proceed to pull the truck up the ramp as I do this the angle between the boat and trailer decreases as the boat settles on the bunks thus pulling the bow away from the winch (as the back settles the front raises) which causes extreme forces on the winch strap and bow eye and then causes a gap between the winch stand rollers and bow (because of the angle of the bow)to complicate matters to make sure the boat ends up sitting on the trailer where its supposed to when its loaded I have to slide the winch stand toward the front of the trailer and then back to meet the bow after I get off the ramp Any ideas Wood greatly be appreciated

I had this problem with a 24 twin I/O on a very steep ramp that I needed to use regularly . I found that I had to avoid snuging it at first and to pull forward about 2 feet at a time then stop and reevaluate or winch some more - usually took two or three stops

Comment

bobsyiruncle wrote:
      I had this problem with a 24 twin I/O on a very steep ramp that I needed to use regularly . I found that I had to avoid snuging it at first and to pull forward about 2 feet at a time then stop and reevaluate or winch some more - usually took two or three stops
      Thats what i go through what a pain it has to do with fulcrum points,center of arcs bla,bla,bla I guess I need to reinvent the wheel if nobody has any easy resolutions

Comment

I always have this problem with my 1988 2655. I load it on the trailer , then pull to flat land, roll forward about, 5 miles an hour and slam on the brakes which snugs it right up every time. Gary
        GARCHAR
        1988 2655
        2009 Volvo Penta 5.7 300 hp DP F3s
        Twice Past Commodore
        Northwest Outboard Trailer Sailors, Eugene,OR

Comment

Aw, that's not such a big deal I bet if you put some decent tension on that strap that it will crawl forward a bit as you bounce down the road. You're lucky. When the water gets low mine loves to roll a quarter way over on the bunks and I get to redip the beast repeatedly until I finally get it at least partly straight. Usually the only way I manage is to leave it way back from the winch at least a foot then drag it forward with the winch which is a PITA.:livid:

Comment

The strap could have some slack in it and when you move forward that slack causes the gap you see. This is the first season I have encountered this with my trailer.
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I found it helps if you have a couple of people stand on the swim platform or just near the back of the boat as you pull out slowly, helps the boat settle evenly on the bunks..

Comment

Garchar wrote:
                I always have this problem with my 1988 2655. I load it on the trailer , then pull to flat land, roll forward about, 5 miles an hour and slam on the brakes which snugs it right up every time. Gary
                if mine slides back when hauling out, I do the same thing. A hard stop will slide it snug against the winch post.
                1990 2755 - sold
                2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

If there is a big difference in the bow position from in water to level land, one of 2 (possibly both) is happening:

1. trailer set up wrong and/or

2. Dunking the trailer too far

I am a retired engineer, and have modified/designed products to solve problems.

I bought a float on style bunk trailer 4 years ago. Its the first bunk trailer I have ever owned. The other 12 trailers, over 40+ years were roller.

What I have done. The reason for this is I can boat alone, and not fight with a 3 ton+ boat.

Look at the attached pics. It shows Captharv's system of getting the boat perfectly centered (well, within 3/4") every time.

The wood block with the tan carpeting finds the running strake and pushes it toward cemnter, on both sides, as the boat is winched home on the trailer. The guide posts somewhat keep it centered while it is winching up.

The next modification was removing the front Vee boards and replacing them with Stolz double rollers, on two crossmembers.

I dunk it until the bunk's front is about and inch out of the water. I pull the boat onto the trailer by hand, and when it gets far enough, I snap a power winch cable on the trailer eye, then use it to haul the boat up to the bow stop. Then attach the safety chains, and pull out.

It was a contest of the mods and getting the trailer in the water, just right.

However, thats what I have done for a living. Design, try it, modify it, or start over.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/687249=27880-home 084a.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/687249=27883-Home and boat 005.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/687249=27882-pix 008.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/687249=27881-pix 009.jpg[/img]
                  Captharv 2001 2452
                  "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Capt. Harv, do you have any pics of roller trailers you have modified? I find it tricky getting my 2655 centered properly. It always leans to one side.

Greg

Comment

The only mods I have done to a roller trailer was to add a walkway.

When properly set up they should automatically center.

Again, dunking the trailer too far usually the culprit.

My last trailer was an E Z Loader. I backed ot in only until the rearmost crossbrace was just submerged. This lets the rollers do their job of automatic centering. Then, I use a power winch.
                      Captharv 2001 2452

Comment

I must be guilty of over dunking. I always worry about winching the boat out of the water. It just seems like the boat would be too much weight for the bow eye.

Greg

Comment

Capt Harv,

It looks like the bunks do not extend completely to the transom of the boat. Have you noticed that this causes any problem on your boat?

-Lance
                          Lance A.
                          1986 2860 Trophy soft top
                          5.7 gm replacment motor, freshwater cooled.
                          Volvo 280 or 275 with Douprop added.

Comment

The bunks not going all the way back have not caused any problems. They are located underneath the main stringers of the boat. The trailer manufacture said that anything within 8" is acceptable. Mine is about 4". I can easily move teh winch stand forward, but I already have 500# tongue weight. Besides, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

The key to dunking is to have only enough trailer in the water to float on the boat about 2/3 of the way onto the trailer. Most people dunk the trailer in so far that the boat floats on ALL the way to the winch stand. There is no lateral support on the boat and centering it is very difficult.

By dunking as I stated, when the boat hull gets to where my rollers are, and I start winching, the boat is being held centered in the front by the VEE shaped rollers, and in the back by the vertical guides. Then as it come up, the bow rides over the rollers and the stern settles onto the bunks. Then the small guide blocks I added take over.

Well, it works for me.

The pic below is of a stock trailer simular to mine, before my mods.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/687490=27919-tals2682.jpg[/img]
                            Captharv 2001 2452

Comment

I think that I have a good idea as far as what the problem is if I get it taken care of I'll post the results Again thanks for your input

Comment

Working...
                              X