Towing a 2452

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing a 2452

Hi Foks, new to the forum and interested in purchasing a Bayliner 2452.

My question is related to towing the vessel. I currently own a smaller 19' T-craft, and tow it with a Dodge Ram 1500 (HEMI) 2wd.

I live in FL so it's flat, no hills, etc. I'm wondering if my truck will suffice in towing the 2452? Ultimately I'll put the boat in a high and dry, but will have to tow it after purchase and until i get storage setup.

thanks,

Nick
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 05-24-2019, 12:03 AM.

Welcome aboard!!!

Check your tow specs on your truck... is it factory and is it good to go with 10K towing? After market may not be sufficient but if those specs are also 10K then you should be good to go...

It would help to have electric over hydraulic brakes on that trailer as well. I'd be afraid of surge brakes with that rig...
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Your HEMI will do fine
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

You will not have a problem. That is what I have and it has been all along the Gulf Coast and central Florida.

Comment

My 2452 with an aluminum trailer weighs out at about 8K fully loaded. I tow (in Florida) with a Ford Expedition, 4X4 with teh factory H/D tow package. Does fine. In fact, it tows so smooth I can forget that I have a boat beck there.

Its all in how the trailer is set up and maintained.

Your hemi-Ram will do fine.
          Captharv 2001 2452
          "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Before towing, check your trailer capacity. Quite a lot of 2452s (mine included) were sold on trailers with max capacity of 5500#, which is not sufficient for fully loaded boat with gear, gas, water, etc.
            Alex
            1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
            1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

Thanks guys! My truck does have the tow package from factory with the transmission cooler etc.

Glad to hear it'll do fine. I'm really liking the photos & video of this boat so hope to find one soon.

Comment

Hey nicksterFL . . . welcome to the puddle!! . . . . yeah, I tow my 2452 with a F-150 with a trailering package (not HD) but it still has all the goodies to do it properly . . . . I sometimes tow long distances (Ft. Myers and back . . . long story) and it tows just fine with an Equalizer hitch with a pole adapter on it . . . . hitch is made so the surge brakes work just fine . . . .. and they do . . . .
                1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
                Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                James H. Stradling

Comment

No problem

Attached files

Comment

Hey Nick,

Congrats on new boat. ..if you bought it.

The folks here think you have enough towing power to do the job.

Want to express concern about your "2wd" vehicle. Where I boat, many ramps are fairly steep and wet....which means slippery. I tow with a 1/2 ton pick up and frequently have to use 4 wheel drive to get my fat boat up a wet ramp.

Don't know if this is an issue for you...so fyi.

Enjoy your boat...and welcome.

Be safe

Comment

I found a fabulous towing capacity app for your truck (not trailer). and here it is . . http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/
                      Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
                      1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
                      MMSI 235061726

Comment

Hello Blackeyes, Seeing your 2452 on your trailer just makes me want the next boating season to get here.

1994 Bayliner Classic 2452
                        5.7 MCM Bravo With 4 Bbl Carb.
                        Bravo II Outdrive
                        Lowrance Elite 5 GPS Chartplotter/Depth Sounder/Fish Finder
                        West Marine VHF

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." Albert Einstein

Comment

we recently bought a GMC towing truck which we are using for 24/7 towing service nyc, very impressive and powerful towing truck so far the experience is great with GMC.

Comment

I towed a 2452 with a GMC 1500 4 x 4 rated for 8500 lbs. until I found a sticker on the factory hitch that showed a rating of 5500 lbs. According to GM the hitches are rated for use with an equalizer which in their opinion effectively doubles the rating???? So I was really overloading my hitch.
                            To make a long story short I changed out to a Curt 12000 lb. hitch.

check U tube for GM hitch failures
                            2005 2359 Trophy Pro "SOLD"
                            "Amigo"
                            B lll 5 ltr.
                            1998 2452 (Sold) "Island Time"

Comment

Originally posted by martinbrown9872 View Post
                              we recently bought a GMC towing truck which we are using for 24/7 towing service nyc, very impressive and powerful towing truck so far the experience is great with GMC.
                              There is a big difference between a tow truck and a 1500 1/2 ton truck!! Brakes, transmission, axles,cooling, etc!
                              Don
                              1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
                              1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
                              1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
                              10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
                              1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
                              "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

Working...
                              X