Question for express cruiser owners...-gctid383123

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for express cruiser owners...-gctid383123

A friend is letting me use her boat while my boat is in the garage being repowered. Today was our first extended outing on her boat. It is a SunRunner 240 express cruiser. All of the boats I have owned and/or cruised on have been sedan bridges, sedan bridge / flybridge combinations, or sailboats. This is my first extensive experience on an express cruiser.

So here's my question... How on earth do you guys deal with the exhaust when travelling downwind?!?!?!?!?!?! On the way back to the marina, the wind incessantly pushed the exhaust into the cockpit, making an annoying stink that only went away when I unzipped the sides of the canvas and started to tack. I'm considering getting one of these:

This is a very well maintained engine. There is no blow by. The exhaust is no different than any GM 350.

Do share your strateges for dealing with this issue. Inquiring minds want to know...

Astral Blue wrote:
    A friend is letting me use her boat while my boat is in the garage being repowered. Today was our first extended outing on her boat. It is a SunRunner 240 express cruiser. All of the boats I have owned and/or cruised on have been sedan bridges, sedan bridge / flybridge combinations, or sailboats. This is my first extensive experience on an express cruiser.

So here's my question... How on earth do you guys deal with the exhaust when travelling downwind?!?!?!?!?!?! On the way back to the marina, the wind incessantly pushed the exhaust into the cockpit, making an annoying stink that only went away when I unzipped the sides of the canvas and started to tack.

This is a very well maintained engine. There is no blow by. The exhaust is no different than any GM 350.

Do share your strateges for dealing with this issue. Inquiring minds want to know...
    Go faster than the wind speed ... express cruisers go fast ...

Comment

And then did you try backing the last mile or so that worked for me! Another trick might be running at speed past the marina and then coming back against the wind. But mostly we never went that slow, that also helped with the slow speed wander that you'll be complaining about next. Now that you got legs stop by. I'll buy you a beer.

Comment

Take down the windows.

Minimally open the front and rear windows.

Look up the "Station Wagon effect".
        Jim McNeely
        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
        Brighton, Michigan USA
        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Never had that problem. Are the exhausts above the waterline? Does the check engine light come on? Are you using used french fry oil for fuel?

Comment

telebob wrote:
            Never had that problem. Are the exhausts above the waterline? Does the check engine light come on? Are you using used french fry oil for fuel?
            The exhaust is below the waterline. There is no ECU, hence no check engine light. The engine is impeccably maintained. And no, this is not a Diesel engine...so no fryer oil for fuel. And if it was a Diesel engine and I was using fryer oil, I wouldn't use the word "stink" to describe the experience.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
              The exhaust is below the waterline. There is no ECU, hence no check engine light. The engine is impeccably maintained. And no, this is not a Diesel engine...so no fryer oil for fuel. And if it was a Diesel engine and I was using fryer oil, I wouldn't use the word "stink" to describe the experience.
              Open the bow hatch just a crack, there is a position that will lock in place just open. CO and the dreaded Station wagon effect, If your going to run with the side curtains closed get some circulation of air. I put a co detector in my 2855, like to scare me to death. I added a center panel to my plastic windshield to vent air through the boat.

Comment

I'm just teasing...But aren't FB's subject to the same effect? Up on the flybridge you may not smell it but it seems to me that down in the cockpit and the cabin the same rules apply. Or is there something magical about an FB?

Comment

Scary wrote:
                  Open the bow hatch just a crack, there is a position that will lock in place just open. CO and the dreaded Station wagon effect, If your going to run with the side curtains closed get some circulation of air. I put a co detector in my 2855, like to scare me to death. I added a center panel to my plastic windshield to vent air through the boat.
                  I did open the center panel to the windshield and opened the hatch at the bow. It helped some. In addition, I kept tacking on the San Joaquin River. This seemed to help. Once I entered Seven Mile Slough, which is the channel to the marina, I had to slow down to no wake speed; and of course, was traveling downwind. At that point, I became very unhappy with express cruisers.

With my current boat, it's a matter of closing the door between the salon and the aft deck, and the exhaust isn't even noticeable in downwind conditions. In this case, I had a permanent open door.

I did read about the station wagon effect. Thanks, Jim!

Comment

I open a widow and turn on a small 12 volt fan in the salon for the 20 min. no wake zone back to the marina. It's only a 90% imrovement but it is an improvement.
                    Carl

Comment

This is a very well maintained engine.
                      A properly-tuned engine burns its fuel very efficiently and doesn't produce a noticeable smell. It still produces CO, which is why people die of CO poisoning (no smell to warn them). So you have two problems; the engine needs work or tuning, and you need to keep the exhaust out of the cockpit. There's some good advice here; put the forward hatch into a venting position, open the center panel in the front of the cockpit enclosure, and open the rear door panel. Yes, open it; you want air to flow through, not create the station wagon effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X