17 foot Whaler Flips At Sucia, One Dead-gctid382964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17 foot Whaler Flips At Sucia, One Dead-gctid382964

Per www.komonews.com three individuals were attempting to retrieve a stuck prawn pot and flipped their 17 foot Whaler close to Sucia I in the San juan Islands. Passerby pulled three from water but one was dead. Be careful out there folks, wear your life jackets, crap happens. Another good reason to not use an inflatable life jacket.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

"Another" good reason not to use inflatable life jackets?

What are some of the other reasons? Somebody better tell these guys....

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2010/0...y-set-inflate/
    Mike P
    The Bahamas
    Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Maybe the suitcase style PFD would have been more appropriate? :right http://videosift.com/video/Ridiculou...ter?noredirect Seriously, the self inflating style are they way to go, sounds more like he had the manual inflate type and simply did not know how to use it. The manual type inflatables are illegal in Canada for a reason. I really cannot see what happened here as there were others to help him and all were wearing PFDs.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Stratocaster wrote:
        "Another" good reason not to use inflatable life jackets?

What are some of the other reasons? Somebody better tell these guys....

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2010/0...y-set-inflate/
        A good friend fell in wearing his auto inflatable jacket. It worked, however it was so tight around his neck that it cut off his ability to breathe. He was thrashing around attempting to remove the jacket, but inflated he could not get the straps undone. Another friend jumped in and with his pocket knife was able to puncture the inflated jacket.
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

This also happened this week http://www.komonews.com/news/local/C...151576425.html I spent lots of time out by jetty on my jet ski and a old 12' lake boat and always thought if i had trouble i could swim to safty. I guess a false sense of security can be very dangerous.

Beau

Comment

The problem (I own several) with inflating life jackets are most folks don't try them out. Inflated. Which tells you they don't realize there are parts that expire every three years (on the autos) and should be replaced. Just like most people have not tried to put out a fire with an extinguisher. At 35-50 dollars a vest to rearm most people don't want to "practice" inflating their life vest.

A few years ago i was crewing on a sailboat, we were skirting close to the shore to avoid current and struck a submerged piling. I was foredeck on that race and got dumped overboard. The water in the Sound in Feb is cold! The way I went in my jacket didn't inflate but since the boat was moving away still by rolling over and dunking down I intentionally inflated it by the auto means. I had inflated and rearmed this vest at least twice before so I was fairly sure how to get it to inflate without searching for the pull handle. What shocked me the most though was how cold my hands got swimming (after a hat of all things) that I realized I would not be able to help get myself out of the water so I swam with my hands over my head. When I got back to the dock at the end of the race a bunch of guys said " to bad you inflated your life vest that's going to cost you" !!!

Last time I looked a funeral cost more than $35. Practice with your emergency gear know how to use it brief your pax on where it is and how to use it. Pretty soon you will know how all those flight attendants feel but if something were to happen you might stand a better chance of just having a good story versus being 30 sec bite on the evening news.

Comment

Working...
            X