No power to helm switches- HELP-gctid381709

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power to helm switches- HELP-gctid381709

The boat was put in the slip today and the admiral and I went to the marina. I plugged in the shore power cord, turned it on and the battery charger was working ok.

Then the power problem started; no power to the water pump, or any helm switches. I turned on the blower, nothing. Nav lights, nothing. VHF radio, nothing.

I checked and reseated the fuses that are in the fuse blocks under the steps, no problem seen. Turned off shore power and the charger and verified all battery connections were ok.

It seems like a "master fuse" is blown if such a thing exists.

If I turn the key I see the depth gauge and battery gauge display readouts.

I'm hoping it's something you experienced BOC'ers have seen before and the solution is easy, although nothing in a boat is easy.

Thanks.
    Bob
    "Easy Living"
    2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
    Boating on the Rappahannock River, Virginia

I notice you don't mention the switch.
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

Comment

On my boat in addition to the MBSS, there is a rotary master on/off switch. Have anything like that mounted on the inside of the transom?

Comment

I have a large breaker in the engine area, perhaps there?

Comment

Do you have the Main Battery Switch turned on?
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Assuming the MBSS(s) is/are on, it sounds like the connections on the back of them may be loose. Considering you can see some sign of juice (depth and batt gauges) but anything with heavier draws don't work...sounds like a connection issue. The only "main fuse" I'm aware of on my boat are for the individual batteries themselves, in which case there would be no display of any sort. The battery charger on my boat is wired seperately to the batteries and have nothing to do with the MBSS's or battery fuses. It would still show a charge even if all 12v switching were turned off and even if the fuses protecting the batteries main cables were blown. Just food for thought.

Comment

I neglected to mention that I did check the MBSS and it's set for 1&2. Also, although the shore power is on, nothing on the helm works: blower, bilge pumps, nav lights etc.

Thanks.
              Bob
              "Easy Living"

Comment

Did you by chance have the batteries removed for winter storage? If so are you sure they are properly connected? Shore power would have no effect on your 12 volt systems other than to provide power to charge the batteries with the charger which you indicated worked. If batteries are properly connected, next place I'd check would be the master battery switch - try rotating the knob to see it turns and is not corroded or broken, then check all connections to the switch. With a voltmeter you can check for power in from the batteries and power out from the switch.

Comment

Check the main fuse at the batteries.
                  Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

captjmh wrote:
                    Did you by chance have the batteries removed for winter storage? If so are you sure they are properly connected? Shore power would have no effect on your 12 volt systems other than to provide power to charge the batteries with the charger which you indicated worked. If batteries are properly connected, next place I'd check would be the master battery switch - try rotating the knob to see it turns and is not corroded or broken, then check all connections to the switch. With a voltmeter you can check for power in from the batteries and power out from the switch.
                    Yes, the batts were removed. I checked each cable and connection last night for tightness etc. The MBSS switch does rotate, but I did not check the connnections at the back of the switch.
                    Bob
                    "Easy Living"

Comment

msd58 wrote:
                      Check the main fuse at the batteries.
                      Thanks, any idea where to look?
                      Bob
                      "Easy Living"

Comment

Just below the MBSS there is a large in-line fuse. If that is blown, you get no electrical power to anything (don't ask me how I know). Take the fuse out, if it's bad replace it, and you should be fine. On my boat it was a single in-line fuse, and even though I have two batteries I got no power regardless of how I set the MBSS.

Good luck!

Rob

Comment

robster_in_edmonds wrote:
                          Just below the MBSS there is a large in-line fuse. If that is blown, you get no electrical power to anything (don't ask me how I know). Take the fuse out, if it's bad replace it, and you should be fine. On my boat it was a single in-line fuse, and even though I have two batteries I got no power regardless of how I set the MBSS.

Good luck!

Rob
                          Rob,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. I won't be going to the marina till Saturday and will check it then.
                          Bob
                          "Easy Living"

Comment

Hey Bob, I had the same problem last year on my 2002 3055. there was a blown 10 amp fuse inside a fuseable link that was buried in a bunch of wires that were wired tied right behind the circuit breaker panel.you may have the same fuse ??

Good luck,

Louis

Comment

Louis4seas wrote:
                              Hey Bob, I had the same problem last year on my 2002 3055. there was a blown 10 amp fuse inside a fuseable link that was buried in a bunch of wires that were wired tied right behind the circuit breaker panel.you may have the same fuse ??

Good luck,

Louis
                              Louis,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it on Saturday when I go back to the slip.
                              Bob
                              "Easy Living"

Comment

Working...
                              X