Water level indicator CS0263

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water level indicator CS0263

Hi, I have a 3788 and the potable water level guage CS0263 made by faria, quit reading at all. I cant get at the sender, I was wondering if the gauge or sender is the most common thing to fail, if its the guage, great, I'll buy one, if its the sender, I guess I will live with it.

Bet is the sending unit. Not sure about the 3788, but the sender went out on our 3218. It is just a float on an arm that sends a reading to the gauge. The float was water logged and quit. I had to clean the water tank anyway, so cut access holes in it, placing one near the deceased float. Replaced it with a wine cork, works great now.

Comment

Does anyone know how to get to the water tank sender on 1999 3788? I see there is a large cut in the carpet that looks like a hatch, but it extends at the rear of the salon, under the rear part of the dinette seating area. It looks as if I remove the rear seat assembly, the hatch might open and the top of the tank including sender may be accessible??.

Comment

Did you look in the settee storage compartments to see if there's a removable hatch? I know that there are small hatches on the starboard side to access the fuel tank senders, but I don't remember if there is one for the potable water tank. I've always wondered about the carpet cut out/hatch that you are referring to. If you don't find a small hatch under the settee, it sounds like you will have to remove the seat structure and remove the large hatch.

BTW, we often have to blaze new ground with our 3788s. There were very few of them made compared to the 38xx and 39xx; so there aren't a lot of people on the forum that have been there, done that.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Thanks Raul, I posted because I did not find a hatch under the settee, Thanks for the tip on fuel senders

Bruce

Comment

Did you ever get this resolved?

I am examining the sender on my 1997 3788. The gauge itself doesn't have any brand markings on it but it is in a rectangular panel with a switch on the left side that turns it on. It has a slot for a second switch for a second tank but that is plugged. Is that what yours looks like? I did find access to the sender located on the port side accessible via the lazarete. I tried removing the whole thing removing screws one by one by feel since it is impossible to look down on the thing and see what you are doing. After removing what I thought was the third screw holding the entire thing in place the electrical part of the sender came off. It is attached by two smaller screws which I inadvertently had removed. Picture attached.

I've found some information about it. It is manufactured by Rochester. I found them online and contacted them and after seeing the picture of the thing they said that there are 20 variations of the sender which have that "dial face" and the "replacement for most of them" is p/n 5712S02539P available here: https://liquidlevels.net/products/rochester-gauges-dial-capsule-5712s02539

The darn thing is $93 so I am hesitant to purchase it because being a "replacement for most of them" isn't very assuring and I don't even know for certain the failure is in the sender. It does seem most likely the failure is the sender however. Switching the gauge on causes the needle to move from pegged left to just below empty so it seems there is current in the circuit and the gauge itself probably either works or doesn't work rather than give false readings.

If you ordered a replacement and it fixed the problem do you recall the part number?

Thanks
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bacon; 08-25-2018, 07:05 AM. Reason: errors adding the attachment made me think it failed so I kept trying which resulted in 4 of the same attachment. Deleted 3 of them.
            Tony Bacon,
            Washougal, WA
            Caspian
            1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

The senders were all standard stuff. If you want one that you will not have to replace again, spend the money on a WEMA unit.

http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level...l#.W4GGrBqIahA

These are WELL worth the money in terms of accuracy and labor hours saved. It took me all day to take apart my bedroom in my 4788 to get to the aft tank sender. Once taken apart the replacement took less than 15 minutes.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Thanks Kevin. I did buy the wema. Have now replaced both fuel senders and the potable water sender. In my case it was a 20 minute job on the water sender. All three of the tanks (2 fuel, 1 water) have all parallel sides and top to bottom. I forget the geometry term for that. I love the linear readings that the WEMAs provide and the quality construction. Price was right too. The replacement cost for the original was north of $100 while the WEMA was around $40.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian

Comment

I have been super impressed with the WEMA sensors. It is nice Really knowing how much fuel and water I have left.

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                    I have been super impressed with the WEMA sensors. It is nice Really knowing how much fuel and water I have left.
                    Oh man, ditto that. Its the little things as some say!
                    Tony Bacon,
                    Washougal, WA
                    Caspian

Comment

Working...
                    X