I have a weird question-gctid380922

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a weird question-gctid380922

We have Bayliner Encounter 2950, 1979 that we have always said is a 30ft. We were looking at our survey and noticed the L.O.A. is 27' 11". So is our boat 30 ft or 28 ft. This would make a difference when we rent our slip?

Thanks

It depends on the marina, some measure LOA of the actual boat and some from the back of the swim platform to the front of the pulpit

Comment

go with the survey most marinas charge by the foot:greedy_dollars:

Comment

Boats shrink in the marina office.

Boats grow in the bar.
        Jim McNeely
        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
        Brighton, Michigan USA
        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Consider model numbers as a general guidline of length, not an indicator of length. My 2850 measures out a little over 27 feet on the hull, but 31.5 from pulpit to swim step. Older boats with bolt on pulpits and swimsteps usually measure just the hull, but molded in parts (especially swimsteps) are included in the length. I compare my 2850 to a newer 30 footer, but when I rent a slip, its only a 27 footer. Most marinas in California will charge you the length of the dock, or the boat, which ever is greatest, and most (eveeryone I have ever seen or talked to) will actually measure all appendages with the boat.

Comment

Ours is marketed as a 30, and we recently rafted with a Rinker marketed as a 34. They were identical in size. Ours is actually 32' long. There's a lot of variation in all these numbers. Just use the one that will give you the best price at the marina and let them come back and argue if they want to.

Comment

My boat is a prime example of length changes in numbers but not in real life. From inception of the model in 2004 the boat was badged a 325 even with Bayliner paper work stating LOA of 34'11". In 2008 (pretty sure) Bayliner changed the badging to 340 with no physical changes to the boat, only a very few cosmetic changes. It still had fatory paper work stating LOA of 34'11". Most believe this change was for marketing purposes and I agree since 340 (indicating a 34' boat) more accurately described it's actual length and overall it's a large boat in it's class with a beam of 11'6", headroom of 6'2" and a "rigged length" of 35'6" (includes anchor according to my paper work).

So what size do I say she is when renting a slip? Why 32' of course. And like Jim said, at the bar she's a 35'! lol

For the record, everything is molded into the hull, no bolted on extras to count.

Comment

My Bayliner 246 measures exactly 24'0" from stem to stern. Add on the boarding platform and it would be about 25'6". Stick an anchor on the prow and I guess it gets a little longer yet.

Now it is called a "266", implying 26'6" loa.

Go figure.
                2007 Discovery 246
                300mpi BIII
                Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Working...
                X