2556 Portlight replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2556 Portlight replacement.

The original portlights are plastic, the vendor isn't around any more, and they have discolored and chipped over the years. You can't really find the same size portlight to replace them, either. Last fall, I actuallly took one out and measured the hole, then decided i'd have to get a bigger window. Lots of google (went to a Microsoft class and laughed every time they said "if you want more info, Bing it when you get home) search, and finally decied on a Lewmar size 2 hatch.Found a vendor on Ebay, and made an offer of $290 including shipping. Here they are, if you are interested; a good vendor. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lewmar-39322...item1e67ec566eIt is scary cutting big holes in your boat. In this case, I wanted to cut ALL of the existing portlight screw holes out, which meant making 4 sided cuts instead of lining up one side. The size two is perfect, each hole is just cut out for the new portlight. Carlos had mentioned which tool he used on Fiberglass. I already had one, and damn, he was right. No dust, goes through FG like butter. I cut the radius with a Dremel from a template I made. A lot of finesse shaping, but just not that hard. I spent likely 10 hours on the whole project, including two trips to the store for shorter screws, 3M 4000 quick cure, etc.The portlights are made for a flat surface, and I was nervous when I placed them in the hole, on the curved surface of the hull, but they ever so slightly flex the hull when you hand tighted the screws. You cannot tell that these were not installed stock. When they are open, they let more light in, look sharper, are metal, and low profile. Here are the pics of the before, the after, the tools. It really makes the old girl look sharp.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684164=27578-tool.JPG[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684164=27579-PhonePics 022.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684164=27580-PhonePics 024.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 05-14-2019, 11:26 PM.
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

Well, now I'm going to have to add that to my list of to-dos!

Inside picture?

Comment

I considered not using the trim pieces because the aluminum looks pretty good, but the trim does finish it out a little more.There are screens, too. They clip in, but I think I will leave them out until needed. I should also note that the kit came with 1" 10-32 screws. Way too long for the bayliner hulls. I bought 32 1/2" 10-32, which were the perfect length.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684839=27634-MoreWindows 004.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684839=27635-MoreWindows 006.jpg[/img]
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Looks great Tally. Nice professional job.

Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Nice job - not to bad on price either. Thanks for the write-up

Comment

Did you have to make the FG hole larger to accomadate the porthole. Does the size 2 fit well. Any info you can provide would be great...thanks.....Chris

Comment

It was almost 5 years ago. Yes, I made the hole bigger. It was not a big deal. In retrospect, I would have moved it down to come as close to the chine as it could be. If you look at the pictures, you can clearly see the size difference.

The tool I used went through the 'glass like butter. Does the size 2 fit well? You be the judge. I thought it looked great. A buddy with a 2556 did the same to his.

Good luck!
              Tally and Vicki
              "Wickus" Meridian 341
              MMSI 338014939

Comment

Looks fantastic!!!

Comment

I was interested in looking so I tried to open the links to view the photos, but it says they are currently inactive and cant be viewed.... im not sure what this means other than the links are a dead end now... as well as the two links you posted 2 replies later in this thread...

NU LIBERTE'
                  Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                  5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                  N2K equipped throughout..
                  2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                  2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                  '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                  Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

You can tell by the
                    -gctid380669 that this was prior to the BOC upgrade. Lots of photos lost. Sorry
                    Tally and Vicki
                    "Wickus" Meridian 341
                    MMSI 338014939

Comment

• builderdude
                      builderdude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, I think all the photos were lost during that upgrade

Hi Talman
                    could you upload new pics of this ?
                    I have to replace one of the portlight on my 2556 and will probably follow your path
                    Thanks

Comment

The pictures did not make the transition when the board was upgraded some years ago. I'm sorry, but I do not believe I have them. I'll have a look tonight. Not optomistic
                      Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Working...
                      X